Thread: Is my phone Sprint MVNO ready into the foreseeable future?

Feedback Score

Is my phone Sprint MVNO ready into the foreseeable future?

Is my phone Sprint MVNO ready into the foreseeable future? Do we know what the NewT-Mobile is going to do with the very small MVNO's offering the Sprint network? Not huge in comparison to Boost, I don't care about Boost Mobile. Just the very small MVNO's like Tello, Text Now, Red Pocket, Pix Wireless, Ting, Twigby etc.

I have a Motorola Nexus 6 XT1103 64GB 3G/4G LTE Factory Unlocked Cell Phone. Currently on Red Pocket AT&T. It PASSES all Sprint IMEI verifications.
    Band Specs:
    3G HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - 4G LTE 700 / 850 / 1700 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600 TD-LTE 2500 - XT1103 (Bands 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 29, 41)

So does anybody have any insight or read anything about the usability of my Nexus 6 on Sprint/TM going forward?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    as long as your phone still receives security updates and your apps are being updated the i wouldn't worry too much for now.

Feedback Score
    Nexus 6 is an old phone. As far as T-mobile is concerned it is missing band 66 and 71.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I meant will it work with Sprint MVNO's in the context I mentioned in the OP. I meant nothing more.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I meant will it work with Sprint MVNO's in the context I mentioned in the OP. I meant nothing more.
    Yes, you should be fine. You have all of the primary bands for both carriers. Probably only 10-20% of the phones currently in use have the other 2 bands.

Regarding the bands your phone doesn’t support, they are the new 600mhz T-Mobile band and the extra 5mhz or so of the PCS band (when the frequencies are extended, a new band is created). Regarding the latter, the towers will broadcast multiple band indicators so you phone will utilize what it’s capable of.

Given you have a very capable phone, if voice is important, I would suggest waiting until they start issuing T-Mobile SIMs from whatever MVNO your looking at. Your phone should get VoLTE on T-Mobile but probably not on Sprint since they were so late to the game on it.

Feedback Score
    Just a clarification: MVNO's don't get VoLTE from the main carriers, they have to either deploy their own servers or pay carrier for it.
    Don't assume that because T-Mobile has VoLTE, the MVNO's will automatically enable it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Just a clarification: MVNO's don't get VoLTE from the main carriers, they have to either deploy their own servers or pay carrier for it.
    Don't assume that because T-Mobile has VoLTE, the MVNO's will automatically enable it.
    Is this new? My understanding has been that VoLTE depended on whether the contract with the MVNO allowed it. Last year Verizon pretty much allowed all their MVNOs to support it since they are dropping CDMA for phones at the end of this year. Last year ATT started allowing more MVNOs to have VoLTE too. T-Mobile was first since certain bands like B12 required VoLTE for voice.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    All T-Mobile MVNOs have VoLTE. Nexus 6 also supports VoLTE but it should be enable manually:

Tap Settings > More.
    Tap Cellular networks > Enhanced 4G LTE Mode On/ Off.

But I expect New T-Mobile to block new CDMA activations in near future, so, you will not be able to use your phone on legacy Sprint CDMA network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    All T-Mobile MVNOs have VoLTE. Nexus 6 also supports VoLTE but it should be enable manually:

Tap Settings > More.
    Tap Cellular networks > Enhanced 4G LTE Mode On/ Off.

But I expect New T-Mobile to block new CDMA activations in near future, so, you will not be able to use your phone on legacy Sprint CDMA network.
    I have LTE, 3G, 2G options no option for Enhanced 4G LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I have LTE, 3G, 2G options no option for Enhanced 4G LTE.
    In this case, the simple test is following:

1. Insert SIM card of T-Mobile or T-Mobile MVNO.
    2. Disable Wi-Fi
    3. Connect to LTE (4G LTE or LTE sign)
    4. Make phone calls. If you still see LTE (or 4G LTE), then the phone is OK.
    But if you see connection drop to 3G or 4G or H or E or U (it means, no LTE during phone call), then your phone will not be compatible with T-Mobile in near future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    In this case, the simple test is following:

1. Insert SIM card of T-Mobile or T-Mobile MVNO.
    2. Disable Wi-Fi
    3. Connect to LTE (4G LTE or LTE sign)
    4. Make phone calls. If you still see LTE (or 4G LTE), then the phone is OK.
    But if you see connection drop to 3G or 4G or H or E or U (it means, no LTE during phone call), then your phone will not be compatible with T-Mobile in near future.
    I don't want to mess up my APNs right now. Heard going from ATT to TM SIMs on a 4/3 carrier phone can mess up the APN.

But I also heard it won't mess up my APN if I go from CDMA (legacy I guess now pretty much) to GSM SIMs even multiple times a day.

Would it prove the near feature viability of my Nexus 6 on a Sprint MVNO like Tello if I tried your suggestion with a Tello SIM?