Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No GPS signal again

Feedback Score

No GPS signal again

I got the Moto G6 a couple of months ago and I was happy with it till now. I used a maps app and had no problem with getting a GPS signal. Now I can't get a signal. I tried to use it twice this week. The first time it took about 15-20 minutes before it finally found a satellite. Once it found a satellite it worked fine. Now I needed to use it today and never did get it to find a signal. Fortunately my husband was along and had his Straight Talk and we used his to navigate. Is there any phone that has a great GPS radio?

Feedback Score
    Have never had a GPS problem with my G6. I use the free offline MapFactor Navigator app.

Try using GPSFix at the PS to see if it's not the app having problems.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roidlab.gpsfix

Let us know what happens...

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by haymeadowfield View Post
    I tried to use it twice this week. The first time it took about 15-20 minutes before it finally found a satellite. Once it found a satellite it worked fine. Now I needed to use it today and never did get it to find a signal.
    1. Did you turn on the GPS at a location that's different from where it was last on? The GPS stores its "last" position, so that the next time you turn it on it can try to locate/use the same satellites. If the location has changed between its last on location and where you turn it on again, it'll take longer to search for the satellites.

2. Did you turn on the GPS while in a moving car? When a GPS receiver can lock on to the satellites very quickly, that's not a problem. But if the GPS receiver has marginal performance and you're moving while it's trying to locate the nearest satellites, it might never complete. Best to turn it on while you're not moving yet, or just stop for a moment.

When I used to fly my plane, if the GPS lost its signal and the plane was still moving in a straight line (about 120 mph) while it was trying to re-locate the satellites, it'd have a tough time. In those cases, I just circled over a fixed location and that helped it find the satellites quicker.

I don't remember if I had suggested the GPS TEST app. It's a great app to see how good your phone's GPS is at finding the satellites.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Definitely try another GPS application, but my concern is that the GPS component may be damaged or defective. If another app fails, check into filing a warranty service claim. Has the phone been damaged in any way ??
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    1. Did you turn on the GPS at a location that's different from where it was last on? The GPS stores its "last" position, so that the next time you turn it on it can try to locate/use the same satellites. If the location has changed between its last on location and where you turn it on again, it'll take longer to search for the satellites.

2. Did you turn on the GPS while in a moving car? When a GPS receiver can lock on to the satellites very quickly, that's not a problem. But if the GPS receiver has marginal performance and you're moving while it's trying to locate the nearest satellites, it might never complete. Best to turn it on while you're not moving yet, or just stop for a moment.

When I used to fly my plane, if the GPS lost its signal and the plane was still moving in a straight line (about 120 mph) while it was trying to re-locate the satellites, it'd have a tough time. In those cases, I just circled over a fixed location and that helped it find the satellites quicker.

I don't remember if I had suggested the GPS TEST app. It's a great app to see how good your phone's GPS is at finding the satellites.
    1. Yes. I'll keep this in mind.
    2. Yes. I didn't have this problem until this week.
    I have an app called GPS status which I used and it couldn't find any satellites. So it's not the maps app I use.
    I'm going to try the GPS fix app and see if that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Second vote for the GPS Test app. My experience is the later Moto phones have excellent GPS.

Feedback Score
    I turn the gps off when I'm not using it. Does that make any difference?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I turn the gps off when I'm not using it. Does that make any difference?
    It'll save battery power. The GPS receiver uses a lot of battery power. I turn mine off most of the time.

Feedback Score
    I used the GPS status app and it took about 5 minutes before it found any satellites. I was sitting in my house at the time.
    I also installed and ran the GPSFIx app and that found my location right away.
    So I guess I just need to be more patient and maybe turn on GPS before I leave the house when I plan on using my Maps app. I use Here maps and really like it. Works well for me.
    I think my only other option would be to leave GPS on all the time. That I don't want to do as it drains my battery like hpham says.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So I guess I just need to be more patient and maybe turn on GPS before I leave the house when I plan on using my Maps app. I think my only other option would be to leave GPS on all the time. That I don't want to do as it drains my battery like hpham says.
    There's no sense in keeping the GPS on all the time. Just turn it on and put it at a location with an unobstructed view of the sky for a few minutes before leaving your house. GPS signal can travel through glass, but not thick tree canopy or solid material like brick, steel, plastic, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Just turn it on and put it at a location with an unobstructed view of the sky for a few minutes before leaving your house. GPS signal can travel through glass, but not thick tree canopy or solid material like brick, steel, plastic, etc.
    Should not be that difficult if you have a good GPS receiver. I can get full signal in a short time on both of my cheap Tracfone Alcatels. That is inside a metal covered trailer with covered glass side windows, plastic roof vent covers, and under a tree canopy. My Moto G5 Plus will get full signal in 2-3 seconds anytime. A Moto G6 I tested was about the same. The others may take a bit longer sometimes. Earlier Tracfone models would not pass this test. Satellite signal strength is not a constant even outdoors.

Feedback Score
    Obtaining an initial GPS position quickly often relies on identifying local WiFi networks. I believe it’s called aGPS.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malet View Post
    Obtaining an initial GPS position quickly often relies on identifying local WiFi networks. I believe it’s called aGPS.
    Cell phone service can help with that too, by using the towers' locations. Part of the technology used by law enforcement agencies to track criminals, and locate missing people/911 callers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malet View Post
    A-GPS in your device can use WiFi or the cellular network to connect to a local A-GPS server. The local server always has the satellite positions, so can feed that back to your device to speed up the readings. The are sending you a map, so that your device does not have to do all the satellite readings every time. If you change your location very much it would require an update.

As an experiment, i went into airplane mode to shut off the cellular and WiFi radios. It did not affect the speed of satellite readings with GPS on. Apparently, I don't need A-GPS for fast response.

Feedback Score
    Needed GPS today. Turned it on before leaving the house. It was on for several minutes and still no satellites located. We left and I decided to try turning data on to see if that had any effect. (Was already out of wi-fi range.) Satellites were found right away. Maps app worked fine after that. I turned off data as soon as satellites were found. Does it seem strange to have to turn on data to get GPS to work?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast