Thread: Good landline service for my grandpa

Device(s)
    iPhones 7 and a iPhone 6s and 4 and a fire hd8
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score

Good landline service for my grandpa

I don’t know if this is the right forum but I need to figure out a good landline service for grandpa. He currently has a old Verizon cdma landline box that won’t work after the shutdown so I need ideas for a landline that would not require internet. The landline has to support e911. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Landline service has nothing to do with CDMA. Landline phones plug into the wall through a telephone jack. You can have landline service at a home without internet.

I don't think that you were talking about landline service in your original question. Please clarify for better feedback.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Landline service has nothing to do with CDMA. Landline phones plug into the wall through a telephone jack. You can have landline service at a home without internet.

I don't think that you were talking about landline service in your original question. Please clarify for better feedback.
    I assume that @hamradio is referring to landline-like phone service with a cellular Analog Telephone Adapter. These work over cellular rather than wired broadband Internet that Ooma, Obihai, cable company phone use, to provide landline-like service to an ordinary home type phone.

Straight Talk sells an ATA and Verizon service. The ATA is a ZTE Z723EL that works with VoLTE. The ATA is $50. Sometimes they have refurb units for $20. Unlimited talk service is $15 a month plus a bit of taxes. Mine comes to $15.67. It works well.

https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...me-phone-z723c

You can ignore where it says "BAND (FREQUENCY) CDMA". That is a mistake. We have verified that is uses VoLTE and is good to go now and into next year with Verizon.

The link above has info about 911. The unit has GPS in it to try to provide location to 911, but you should be prepared to speak your address, which is, of course, less than optimum. GPS is only going to work if the unit is near a window.

Consumer Cellular has a unit that uses AT&T. During my research it appeared to use 3G UMTS. AT&T is expected to shutdown 3G in the next year or two.

Also during my research I found a mention of Verizon Wireless Home Phone T2000. I don't know much about it, but it appears to be available from Verizon. Web search: Verizon Wireless Home Phone T2000.

Good luck

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I assume that @hamradio is referring to landline-like phone service with a cellular Analog Telephone Adapter. These work over cellular rather than wired broadband Internet that Ooma, Obihai, cable company phone use, to provide landline-like service to an ordinary home type phone.

Straight Talk sells an ATA and Verizon service. The ATA is a ZTE Z723EL that works with VoLTE. The ATA is $50. Sometimes they have refurb units for $20. Unlimited talk service is $15 a month plus a bit of taxes. Mine comes to $15.67. It works well.

https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...me-phone-z723c

You can ignore where it says "BAND (FREQUENCY) CDMA". That is a mistake. We have verified that is uses VoLTE and is good to go now and into next year with Verizon.

The link above has info about 911. The unit has GPS in it to try to provide location to 911, but you should be prepared to speak your address, which is, of course, less than optimum. GPS is only going to work if the unit is near a window.

Consumer Cellular has a unit that uses AT&T. During my research it appeared to use 3G UMTS. AT&T is expected to shutdown 3G in the next year or two.

Also during my research I found a mention of Verizon Wireless Home Phone T2000. I don't know much about it, but it appears to be available from Verizon. Web search: Verizon Wireless Home Phone T2000.

Good luck
    That is exactly what I am talking about

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hamradio View Post
    That is exactly what I am talking about
    Also, I have seen it mentioned that Straight Talk has another device model at Walmart for their Home Phone service.

I have the Callcentric 911 service add-on for my Obi ATA. I got the Straight Talk unit/service as a backup in case the electric and/or cable is out. I have no idea how well my county handles E911. The state does charge a 50 cent fee on all prepaid phone service purchases so I hope they have something.

Cellular ATA service direct from Verizon might have a chance of registering an address for 911. Cellphones generally don't.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    Does Grandpa's local cable company offer phone service?
    I have several used cellphones for sale in my Bonanza booth.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Does Grandpa's local cable company offer phone service?
    Yes

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hamradio View Post
    He currently has a old Verizon cdma landline box that won’t work after the shutdown
    That sounds like the old F256 Home Phone Connect that Verizon use to use. The F256 does indeed use an CDMA cell radio.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    That's what I have. The T2000 is 4G/LTE. So, it should continue to be supported for a long while to come.

You can psychically plug any landline phone into it. That can be an "old fashion" Western Electric 2500 phone (if your grandpa is more comfortable with those era phones), or a cordless phone base.

It is $20/month with unlimited calling. You might need to explain to your grandpa that he would not need to worry about those long distance charges.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    That sounds like the old F256 Home Phone Connect that Verizon use to use. The F256 does indeed use an CDMA cell radio.

That's what I have. The T2000 is 4G/LTE. So, it should continue to be supported for a long while to come.

You can psychically plug any landline phone into it. That can be an "old fashion" Western Electric 2500 phone (if your grandpa is more comfortable with those era phones), or a cordless phone base.

It is $20/month with unlimited calling. You might need to explain to your grandpa that he would not need to worry about those long distance charges.
    I think we will probably buy a new Verizon box. I think that is probably the best deal and least hassle.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using HoFo

Feedback Score
    I have the Ooma Telo . It works just fine . It replace my wired phone a few years back . The wired phone company charged me about $ 40 a month . My Ooma Telo charges less than $6 a month . According to the Ooma website who has that info they list my savings so far at around $2000 .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Packerjim View Post
    I have the Ooma Telo . It works just fine . It replace my wired phone a few years back . The wired phone company charged me about $ 40 a month . My Ooma Telo charges less than $6 a month . According to the Ooma website who has that info they list my savings so far at around $2000 .
    Ooma requires an Internet connection (except for the Ooma Phone Genie which runs on Sprint's LTE network). The OP indicated that they need e911, and I don't know if I would trust a VoIP provider for a 911 call.

That being said, I put my parents' landline number on Magicjack 9 years ago and the Magicjack Plus unit still works fine to this day. Total savings in almost a decade vs. what they were paying AT&T is around $4,000, and they actually have long-distance now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Ooma requires an Internet connection (except for the Ooma Phone Genie which runs on Sprint's LTE network). The OP indicated that they need e911, and I don't know if I would trust a VoIP provider for a 911 call.

That being said, I put my parents' landline number on Magicjack 9 years ago and the Magicjack Plus unit still works fine to this day. Total savings in almost a decade vs. what they were paying AT&T is around $4,000, and they actually have long-distance now.
    My grandpa does not have Internet access

Feedback Score
    I have the Straight Talk home phone device with the $15 plan for domestic calls.
    Sometimes it drops a call. Sometimes there are strange noises on the line.

When I push the buttons to make a call, there is a delay before the other party's phone rings. That delay is often almost one minute long.

I use a wired desk phone with sound amplification.

The ZTE device I previously had through Straight Talk had better sound, but better worse reception. That device went bad. The new Moxee brand device has a thin, harsh sound.

Also, one cannot dial too slowly, or too quickly, or make a pause when dialing, or a recording comes on and says the call cannot go through. One must then hang up, wait for a dial tone and start over.

The people I know who are in their late eighties or in their nineties need to be able to dial the phone at whatever speed and rhythm they can manage, without the home phone device "kicking" the phone call off the system.

I have not activated the answering machine on the device, as the device is problematic enough as it is.

If it is possible to get an old-fashioned copper wire, real land-line, telephone line for your grandfather, that, to me, seems the most reliable telephone for a senior to use. No surprises in using it.

Perhaps someone else here will post about a home phone device that is more reliable than the Straight Talk, and easier to use.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I mean, for my grandparents, i just shoved them on Vonage.. but they have a basic ISP plan to do emails/facebook/whatever.

I could have done something "slightly cheaper" but for $23 after tax they're happy and can still use the rotary phones (I had to get an older Motorola VoIP adapter, but pulse dialing even works)

For cellular, at this point... your grandpa is going to need to get with Verizon and swap it to a T2000, or go to something listed here with TracFone.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I mean, for my grandparents, i just shoved them on Vonage.. but they have a basic ISP plan to do emails/facebook/whatever.

I could have done something "slightly cheaper" but for $23 after tax they're happy and can still use the rotary phones (I had to get an older Motorola VoIP adapter, but pulse dialing even works)

For cellular, at this point... your grandpa is going to need to get with Verizon and swap it to a T2000, or go to something listed here with TracFone.
    Ok I will look into the cell boxes.