Thread: New iPhone from Apple on Verizon?

Feedback Score

New iPhone from Apple on Verizon?

My daughter currently has a failing 6S on Verizon, the SIM is also out of date as it isn't supporting VoLTE. The poor kid had such a crappy high school senior year but did land herself a good scholarship at a great college so she's getting a new phone for graduation.

I would like to buy direct from Apple and do want to be on Verizon because it has the best coverage in this area but I know that can't happen out of the box unless I SIM swap and I want to follow the rules, especially with her moving several hours away - don't want any issues. According to both the Verizon Wireless and Apple websites, it says that the phones unlock after 60 days. Does that mean it will be whitelisted to use on Tracfone after 60 days? I could always switch her to T-Mobile as they are #2 in my area, but ideally I'd prefer not to.

Thanks.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you buy the phone from and activate it on Verizon on the device payment option (lease), it will be locked to their network for 60 days. After that, the phone will be unlocked automatically and you can use it on any compatible cellular network without trouble.

One more option would be to buy the iPhone from Apple at the full retail/unlocked price and you could take it to any carrier of your choice.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    I am going to buy it full price from Apple and want to use it legally on Verizon-Tracfone. The general rule is that in order to use a BYOP Verizon phone on Tracfone, it is supposed to be one that was purchased, activated and used on Verizon Wireless and is now off-contract. My question is that if I buy a new phone from Apple at full value and select Verizon as my carrier but never activate it through Verizon, will it become 'legal' after 60 days to activate on Verizon-Tracfone.

Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    That’s right go vzw. Today I am glad I’m not with tmo. I’m having to coach them on alternative ways to talk over data or WiFi.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I’m very sure the Apple SIM free version is not locked to any carrier and can be used immediately on Tracfone Verizon - no 60 day waiting game.

My wife’s last iPhone 7plus was purchased from the Apple website as the sim free version- used it on Boom mobile Verizon immediately, no issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex03 View Post
    I am going to buy it full price from Apple and want to use it legally on Verizon-Tracfone. The general rule is that in order to use a BYOP Verizon phone on Tracfone, it is supposed to be one that was purchased, activated and used on Verizon Wireless and is now off-contract. My question is that if I buy a new phone from Apple at full value and select Verizon as my carrier but never activate it through Verizon, will it become 'legal' after 60 days to activate on Verizon-Tracfone.
    That might have been true ages ago, like when BYOP first came out.

I recently put a new factory unlocked iPhone SE 2020 on TF Verizon BYOP and encountered no issues when I registered the phone with TF using its real IMEI.

Feedback Score
    My question is that if I buy a new phone from Apple at full value and select Verizon as my carrier but never activate it through Verizon, will it become 'legal' after 60 days to activate on Verizon-Tracfone.
    You can get unlocked iPhones from Apple, Best Buy, etc. They come with an eSIM and a nano SIM socket without a carrier SIM card. That started with the X series, 11 series, and new SE. They come with a Nano socket because only major carriers can activate an eSIM.

Feedback Score
    I don't remember those rules.

Why would you "buy a new phone from Apple at full value and select Verizon as my carrier"?

If buying directly from Apple, buy "SIM FREE".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I don't remember those rules.

Why would you "buy a new phone from Apple at full value and select Verizon as my carrier"?

If buying directly from Apple, buy "SIM FREE".
    Ages ago, iPhones for Verizon were a different model because of CDMA. You couldn't stick Verizon SIM in an AT&T iPhone and expect it to work. I think my iPhone 4s was specifically a Verizon model, but could also work on AT&T.

Also, back in those days Verizon did not whitelist all iPhones. So, even if your iPhone had the radios for Verizon, it wouldn't work.

Finally, for a while (might still be true for postpaid phones), Verizon did not lock their phones due to some agreement with the FCC in some spectrum deal. Again, you're better off getting a Verizon iPhone even if you were going to use it on AT&T.

So, historically, there were several reasons to get the Verizon iPhone model. Just don't have to worry about these anymore when you pay in full for factory unlocked.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You can get unlocked iPhones from Apple, Best Buy, etc. They come with an eSIM and a nano SIM socket without a carrier SIM card. That started with the X series, 11 series, and new SE. They come with a Nano socket because only major carriers can activate an eSIM.
    Actually, the original X didn't have eSIM. The Xs/Xr generation and later.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    That might have been true ages ago, like when BYOP first came out.

I recently put a new factory unlocked iPhone SE 2020 on TF Verizon BYOP and encountered no issues when I registered the phone with TF using its real IMEI.
    I purchased a new iPhone 11 SIM-free from Apple's website yesterday and it was delivered today. I installed a new Verizon SIM that I had from one of the original '3GB/365 eBay deals' and the Tracfone website accepted that and also accepted the IMEI number from the brand new iPhone without issue. The transfer took less than 10 minutes to complete and now she has VoLTE, 100% battery and a big smile.

Thanks!