Thread: Moving back to Verizon with T-Mobile phones?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Moving back to Verizon with T-Mobile phones?

My parents are looking to move back to Verizon and they currently have T-Mobile phones. I believe their phones support at least a few Verizon LTE bands, but is CDMA still a problem with everything(?) on VoLTE now? Will they still need new phones anyway?

My Dad has a Samsung Galaxy S10 (T-Mobile's version) and my Mom a LG V20 (unlocked).

Thank you for any advice.

Verizon has the best coverage where they live (the outer reaches of Palm Desert, CA) and they are looking to build an additional tower in their neighborhood.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You can verify device compatibility from this Verizon internet site: https://www.verizon.com/bring-your-own-device/, call customer service or initiate an online chat. Remember that you will need the phone IMEI #, if you don't know where or how to locate it, dial *#06# like you were making a phone call and it will be displayed on your phone immediately.

BTW: I am a former Verizon user currently using T-Mobile. I use a Verizon-branded Samsung S9+ and an iPhone SE (original model) on T-mobile with no problem.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 06-16-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. I will have them give it a try. Translation: maybe they can get me the IMEI and I can do the rest.

Best,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    My parents are looking to move back to Verizon and they currently have T-Mobile phones. I believe their phones support at least a few Verizon LTE bands, but is CDMA still a problem with everything(?) on VoLTE now? Will they still need new phones anyway?

My Dad has a Samsung Galaxy S10 (T-Mobile's version) and my Mom a LG V20 (unlocked).
    The Galaxy S10 seems to be all carrier compatible, but the LG V20 depends on which exact model. H910 (AT&T) and LS997 (Sprint) do not have the crucial Band 13 for Verizon according to GSM Arena. Not sure if the lack of CDMA will be a factor at this point.

Note: Some phones don't give the IMEI by dialing *#06#, but the MEID HEX number which is the same minus the last digit.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I’m using an iPhone 8 and iPhone XR from T-Mobile in Verizon’s network and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Verizon has instructions for enabling VoLTE on the V20, so at least we know the phone hardware supports it. https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-208207/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The Galaxy S10 seems to be all carrier compatible, but the LG V20 depends on which exact model. H910 (AT&T) and LS997 (Sprint) do not have the crucial Band 13 for Verizon according to GSM Arena. Not sure if the lack of CDMA will be a factor at this point.

Note: Some phones don't give the IMEI by dialing *#06#, but the MEID HEX number which is the same minus the last digit.
    The OP saying “unlocked” made me look it up and I discovered https://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg...r-v20-unlocked which does list CDMA and B13.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    The S10 will work fine, the LG it depends...as other than Galaxy/Pixel/iPhone, i've yet to see an Android phone be able to just reboot and work on whatever SIM fully.

The samsung once it's unlocked, you'll put a Verizon SIM in, it'll reboot and behave just like it came from verizon.. Verizon boot animation, VoLTE, apps, etc.. I swap SIM cards in my note9 on a regular basis and it seems to have a profile for any SIM I put into it.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    On my Mom's LG V20 it gave a cryptic message of not being compatible at this time, but when I hit back it said not compatible.

I don't have my Dad's IMEI yet, but will this weekend when I visit and then try both.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post

Thank you for any advice.

Verizon has the best coverage where they live (the outer reaches of Palm Desert, CA) and they are looking to build an additional tower in their neighborhood.
    They will absolutely need VoLTE for Verizon in six months if Vz turns off CDMA as they have stated. The did extend CDMA for a year from EOY 2019 to EOY 2020.

Vz is still providing CDMA voice on an as is, where is basis. They have not deployed any new CDMA in years and aren't fixing any that fails. A new tower in town would not have CDMA.

Vz has not activated any phone that is not VoLTE compatible for over a year.

Vz CDMA is a dead end coming soon.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    CDMA is not needed at all, for example my Dad's LG Exalt LTE (VoLTE flip phone) is a GSM/UMTS/VoLTE phone and is fully functional both native and roaming; in fact Verizon has a "CDMAless provision" option it uses on them, the coverage map actually appears to have slightly MORE coverage than CDMA+VoLTE rather than less (since CDMA roaming won't work on them, it uses GSM/UMTS roaming partners in the non-VoLTE areas.)

That said... S10 should be good, the Galaxy line has tons of bands. V20, the H918 T-Mobile model (per google) only has bands 2, 4, 12, and 66. This is not great for Verizon, their main band is 13, their other low band is band 5 (which they have in most areas, but is market-by-market), they have "some" band 4 everywhere but how much varies by market, and band 2 is market-by-market. If you're in an urban area, it's highly likely they have pretty dense band 4 (and probably band 2) coverage and you'd be fine with the V20. (Edit: California? Probably they've got tons of band 4 and 2 on every single site and dense coverage. I'd try the V20 and see if it's coverage is good enough before I spent on a new phone.)

Second edit: If Verizon claims a phone is "not compatible" on the site, but it does support VoLTE etc. it's possible to have Verizon manually add it to their provisioning system (if they are willing to, which they might not since it doesn't have band 13). Otherwise, you can usually stick the SIM into a supported device (activating the SIM) then just move it over to whatever device, if it supports VoLTE and necessary bands it'll probably work fine.