Thread: Iphone XS "not certified"

Feedback Score

Iphone XS "not certified"

I just bought an iPhone XS (advertised as factory unlocked) from eBay.

I'm currently a Verizon post-paid customer. Pulled the sim out of my old phone, popped it into the iPhone and off to the races.

But when I did an IMEI check PP said "not compatible". They sell the iPhone XS on their site, so it's not the phone.

I called CS and gave her the # and she said it wasn't "certified".

Any idea what's going on here or how I can fix this?

Would it make more sense to give the IMEI for my old phone (Samsung S7) and then just switch sim cards afterward, or will I actually have problems? PagePlus website says I'm good to go for the S7.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    If you were off to the races. Meaning everything works. Then what do you care that you were told it is "not compatible" & or not "certified"?

To get an IMEI whitelisted on VZW is difficult to impossible.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    If you were off to the races....
    If I understood correctly, OP was using his Verizon Postpaid sim from the old phone to the XS so was off to the races on Verizon, not PP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by starko View Post
    Would it make more sense to give the IMEI for my old phone (Samsung S7) and then just switch sim cards afterward, or will I actually have problems? PagePlus website says I'm good to go for the S7.
    The S7 is now in Verizon Postpaid service?
    You want to port the S7 phone number to PP?
    Does the iPhone XS qualify at Verizon?

Could be a few things causing the PP reject. They will not tell you which.
    You could try to get the S7 in PP service, then swap the SIM to the XS.
    After swapping, the PP system will see that the IMEI in the account no longer matches the phone the SIM is in. May reject.
    Even if the swap works, it will tie up the S7 for use of it's IMEI.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The S7 is now in Verizon Postpaid service?
    You want to port the S7 phone number to PP?
    Does the iPhone XS qualify at Verizon?

Could be a few things causing the PP reject. They will not tell you which.
    You could try to get the S7 in PP service, then swap the SIM to the XS.
    After swapping, the PP system will see that the IMEI in the account no longer matches the phone the SIM is in. May reject.
    Thanks for all the responses. To clarify, on VZ post paid with my S7. Then put that sim into iPhone XS. The iPhone works perfectly.

So I thought I could just port number to PP (and get a PP sim) but they're saying no.

So loboheeler, you're saying that if I port using my S7, and then switched the sim to my iPhone, "they" (VZ or PP) could notice the sim is in a new phone and shut me down?

Would it matter if I ported to a non-VZ mvno first?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Partially true. PP will see the new imei and "auto update" their system. If the phone is compatible. no problem, no reject.
    But the issue is the XS is showing as not compatible. In that case it may reject. PP always see's imei swap changes and don't reject as long as the new imei is an accepted phone.
    IF the swap works, and the XS is not rejected due to it's assumed incompatibility. After the PP system updates the imei/sim pairing to the XS, the S7 is free and "not" tied up.

The only way the above isn't true is if PP changed their policy in the past couple months.

However...OP..., isn't the XS dual sim ? If one is eSim did you give PP the wrong one? On Verizon the eSIM IMEI would show compatible and your physical VZW sim would work in it with a swap like it did. On PP if you gave them the eSim imei instead of the physical it would show as not compatible. Make sure you gave PP the physical sim imei.
    Last edited by rpz1; 06-16-2020 at 11:57 PM.

Feedback Score
    IMEI matching is such BS!
    TF should care about the SIM only.
    And if the phone works it works if not it's not TF fault & I believe none of TF beeswax.

Feedback Score
    Hi rpz1: Yes, XS is a dual sim phone (normal SIM + eSIM). I confirmed that I gave them the "normal" MEID and not the eSim MEID. I just tried running the eSIM through PagePlus' online porting tool for kicks and it also says incompatible.

zapjb: Couldn't agree more!

Any other ideas? Would it help (and is there a way) to verify the lock status of the phone?

Thanks for the continued help.

Feedback Score
    UPDATE: I just googled the Model Number I see in the "about iPhone" screen (MTE02J/

I have the Japanese model!

I suppose that now I have to take this up with the seller and/or eBay.

So when I replace this with an American model, what should I look for? My understanding is that there's only 1 actual model (hardware-wise) for the XS. Yet in the webpage below it shows 5 different part numbers, one for each of the big 4 and one for unlocked.

https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-xs-...r-differences/

Is unlocked the best for PagePlus/other VZ MVNOs or Verizon?

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by starko View Post
    UPDATE: I just googled the Model Number I see in the "about iPhone" screen (MTE02J/

I have the Japanese model!

I suppose that now I have to take this up with the seller and/or eBay.

So when I replace this with an American model, what should I look for? My understanding is that there's only 1 actual model (hardware-wise) for the XS. Yet in the webpage below it shows 5 different part numbers, one for each of the big 4 and one for unlocked.

https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-xs-...r-differences/

Is unlocked the best for PagePlus/other VZ MVNOs or Verizon?

Thanks again.

I was going to ask you what model and send you that same link. It shows the US model number for unlocked sim free which may mean it's dual but one is and eSim (?). Go to the Motorola web site may give you more info.
    Don't trust Ebay unless it's from a vetted reseller, without getting the specific model number. Not all phones of a model name are created equal. Also get the imei# from the seller. If they don't want to give it just find another. I never had an issue with a good seller providing it.

IMHO, if given the choice always go factory unlocked regardless of carrier.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the help, all.