Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's the best unlocked budget phone you've ever used?

Feedback Score

What's the best unlocked budget phone you've ever used?

Just wondering what the best unlocked budget phones you guys have used. I've tried tons of them from Moto to ZTE and by far my favorite has been the Huawei Mate SE. I've pretty much had all the Motos but sold them because of weak reception. Loved the G7 Power. I also really liked my ZTE V8 Pros until an update killed the battery life.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Just wondering what the best unlocked budget phones you guys have used. I've tried tons of them from Moto to ZTE and by far my favorite has been the Huawei Mate SE. I've pretty much had all the Motos but sold them because of weak reception. Loved the G7 Power. I also really liked my ZTE V8 Pros until an update killed the battery life.
    The "best unlocked budget phone" I've used is my $30 Moto E4 XT1768. I'd still be using it full time if I didn't feel like I needed a better camera and was able to get a great deal on my Pixel 3a XL. My Moto E4 XT1768 is still my primary backup and "lawn-mowing-phone".

Feedback Score
    Like Boz, my votes for the E4 (xt1768). But I don't go through many phones. I keep them till the lack of OS updates prevents a favorite app from working. I bought my first on Ebay for $60 and liked it so much that when Walmart had the closeout at $30 I got the last 2 in the store.
    That gave me 3 of them. So now one's my primary, one's my backup and one's still new in the factory sealed box.

Feedback Score
    Gotta agree about the Moto E4. Just a great compact budget phone that was rock solid. Still use mine occasionally with a Freeup sim. It was the last Moto made that got pretty good reception. I spend a lot of time in fringe areas and noticed the 5, 6 and 7 series really struggled in the reception department.

Feedback Score
    I have the unlocked Moto E4 right now and it is really good.

I never had any problems with it.

It has a finger print reader that I never used.

Device(s)
    Note 8, LG Xpression 2
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    I had a G4 play for number of years and loved it. It made me end up buying a regular G4 16 GB because I like the Play so much. I have a G5 play on my back up line on Xfinity mobile. I just think that the Motorola's have that pure Android that makes them run good, on midrange specs.

Sent from my SM-T290 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would have to say the Moto G

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aboi View Post
    In the 3G realm I agree with that 100% for sure. Still have mine active till it dies at the end of the year. Have had that for many years before my E4. If it was 4G/VoLTE I wouldn't even have an E4. When I had to upgrade because of VoLTE the E4 was the closest one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I have the unlocked Moto E4 right now and it is really good.

I never had any problems with it.

It has a finger print reader that I never used.
    I do use the Moto E4 fingerprint reader. It's on the front, which works very well for me. It can also be a navigation pad, which I also use, and it works great!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David Walcott View Post
    I had a G4 play for number of years and loved it. It made me end up buying a regular G4 16 GB because I like the Play so much. I have a G5 play on my back up line on Xfinity mobile. I just think that the Motorola's have that pure Android that makes them run good, on midrange specs.
    My wife used her Moto G4 Play for over 3 years, and it was still a solid phone for her when she moved up to a Pixel 3a for the better camera. The Moto G4 Play is now her backup phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aboi View Post
    Which generation?

Feedback Score
    Another vote for Motorola E4.

Feedback Score
    The best budget phones are the AT&T prepaid phones like Moto e4, Moto e5 Play, LG Xpression Plus, etc when they go on sale for $30-$50. Use it on Freedom Pop annual prepaid sim with Google Voice as a secondary phone. After 6 months request the unlock code from the AT&T unlock portal.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    The best budget phones are the AT&T prepaid phones like Moto e4, Moto e5 Play, LG Xpression Plus, etc when they go on sale for $30-$50. Use it on Freedom Pop annual prepaid sim with Google Voice as a secondary phone. After 6 months request the unlock code from the AT&T unlock portal.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app
    Does that still work? I thought ATT cracked down.

Anyway, my vote is for the $30 ATT Lumia 640 I reflashed to T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by malet View Post
    Does that still work? I thought ATT cracked down.

Anyway, my vote is for the $30 ATT Lumia 640 I reflashed to T-Mobile.
    Yes, it does still work for use on AT&T MVNOs, including FP.

I used my LG Phoenix 2 AT&T Prepaid (fka GoPhone) with a FP AT&T LTE SIM card and GV + Hangouts from March, 2017 to May, 2019.

What was cracked down on in late 2017 / early 2018 was getting AT&T Prepaid phones SIM unlocked by simply requesting it from AT&T.

But even if unlocked, those AT&T Prepaid phones aren't truly universal like a factory unlocked Moto E4 XT1768.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast