Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What's the best unlocked budget phone you've ever used?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    What price range do you consider to be a budget phone?

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    Not more than $100

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    What price range do you consider to be a budget phone?

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    Most of the industry, based on reviews and articles I've read, seem to put the cutoff around $400, to allow phones like the Pixel 3a and 3a XL to make the cut.

Personally I put it at $200 or so. I figure there's four price classes of phones:

"budget" (~$200 and less), "midrange" ($200-$400),
    "high end" ($400-$800), and
    "are you f--king crazy? It's just a *phone*!" ($800+)

I tend to stick to budget for myself (though I'll sometimes go up to $250 for a device I particularly like) but I'll buy my wife and kids budgets or midrangers depending on need.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Most of the industry, based on reviews and articles I've read, seem to put the cutoff around $400, to allow phones like the Pixel 3a and 3a XL to make the cut.

Personally I put it at $200 or so. I figure there's four price classes of phones:

"budget" (~$200 and less), "midrange" ($200-$400),
    "high end" ($400-$800), and
    "are you f--king crazy? It's just a *phone*!" ($800+)

I tend to stick to budget for myself (though I'll sometimes go up to $250 for a device I particularly like) but I'll buy my wife and kids budgets or midrangers depending on need.

$400 ! And the industry sure has the younger folks believing that. In my book $400 is beginning of "are you f--king crazy? It's just a *phone*!" IMHO, the "average" user will see no difference in a $80 phone or $400 phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    $400 ! And the industry sure has the younger folks believing that. In my book $400 is beginning of "are you f--king crazy? It's just a *phone*!" IMHO, the "average" user will see no difference in a $80 phone or $400 phone.
    Agreed. However, I think the popularity of high end phones has a lot to do with the fact that there are very few things in life that almost anyone can own the "best" of.

Personally, I'm not hurting financially, but I can't afford an $8 million house in Hollywood, a $500,000 Rolls Royce, or an all Hermès wardrobe. But for $30/month I, or almost anyone, can buy the best darn cell phone available on the entire planet. My daughter may never wear the same dresses, carry the same handbag, or drive the same car as Taylor Swift does, but, by God, for a modest down payment and $1/day, she can use the same phone!

Feedback Score
    I prefer cheap phones but the unlocked phones cost more.

I bought several phones for $20 that were locked and they all worked good.

My unlocked Moto e4 cost $123 and that's about the most I paid for a phone.

I think Moto has good unlocked budget phones but most are around $200 or more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I think Moto has good unlocked budget phones but most are around $200 or more.
    True for brand new Moto's. I wait till a phone's a couple years old. Got my brand new unlocked E4s when discontinued for $30. Sure a couple OS's (7.1) old but they'll still be good for even a couple more years or more. Still have my Moto G (1st gen) going strong at least till they don't allow it at the end of the year and it's on 5.0. Think I paid $25 for it about 5-6 years ago. That's my real definition of budget phones.
    Bottom line I've always been partial to Moto.

Feedback Score
    The new unlocked Moto E is well below $200; it is $149.

Feedback Score
    Man, just when I was trying to get away from Moto I ran across a G7 and G7 Play deal at Wally that was to good to pass up. The G7 Play feels way cheaper then the G6 Play but It's gotta be a lot faster. Even the old Moto E4 feels like it's built better. The G7 feels about the same as the two new G6's I just sold.

Feedback Score
    My current S8+ I bought used for $94. Replaced the glass. It had 21 battery cycles when purchased. My wife's S8+ had 2. Paid $130 for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybronco View Post
    My current S8+ I bought used for $94. Replaced the glass. It had 21 battery cycles when purchased. My wife's S8+ had 2. Paid $130 for it.
    Yeah, I'm gonna try to find a good deal on better phones instead of messing around with these Motos. Both the G7 and G7 Play aren't really nice even at the price I just paid for them. Kinda wish Huawei was still selling phones for the US Market. The two ZTEs I just picked up (A7 and Blade 10 Prime) are way nicer then the Motos and have a much better antenna.

Feedback Score
    I've been using the Moto G6 Play for a while as a daily driver. This year I tried the Moto G7 Power and G Power (the most recent version, for some reason they didn't call it G8 Power).

First of all, price: Used but in great condition on Ebay, I got the G7 Power for $115 and G Power for $165, so the price is right.

Performance: was decent for a budget phone, but if you switch to this from a Samsung Galaxy you will notice the difference. The 3GB RAM on the G7 Power are not enough, the G Power's 4GB does the trick.

Battery life: Amazing, as I expected from the Moto G line especially after rooting and using Amplify to cut down on Google's location scanning etc.

Camera: Fine for my needs, I'm not a photo expert but my casual family photos and document scanning and check deposits worked fine. The G Power has a macro lens and a wide angle lens, I haven't tested them extensively but the wide angle lens came in handy in group shots.

Carrier compatibility: I love how it can switch between ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint by swapping the SIM. You don't even need to reboot.

Cons:

- No LED notification light, just like every Moto since forever. With root you can activate the hidden charging LED. I have done this with the G4, G6 Play, G7 Power, and G Power. However the G7 Power and G Power's LED is much less bright than the G4 and G6 Play. You can see the G Power LED in action here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comme...ion_with_root/

- Screen brightness: daylight readability is not great.

All in all, if I was looking for a budget phone right now I would get the G Power. If saving money was important, I really think the Moto G6 Play is still quite good and is very cheap on Ebay or Swappa.

Caveat: Make sure you get the US version if you are in the US, many sellers are selling the international version (they call them "GSM unlocked" or the like.)

Feedback Score
    I've been using the 2020 Moto G Power for the last two months, and I finally found a HUGE con. Using the stock camera app, videos are limited to 10 minutes, which is just a con but not the huge con. The HUGE con is that it seems to take forever to process any videos over a minute long. I recorded a video of fireworks on the fourth of July, the camera app kept processing the video, then it froze the phone and forced a reboot, and then the video was gone. Not a big deal in this case since some other people I was with have videos, but I would be very upset if I was using this for some more unique memory like a family member's wedding or something.

That being said, I would have a real camera for those scenarios, but I'd like to point this out for anyone else considering it. Even with that con, I still love the phone and consider it a worthy upgrade from last year's G7 Power. The screen and sound are a big jump from last year.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    I've been using the 2020 Moto G Power for the last two months, and I finally found a HUGE con. Using the stock camera app, videos are limited to 10 minutes, which is just a con but not the huge con. The HUGE con is that it seems to take forever to process any videos over a minute long. I recorded a video of fireworks on the fourth of July, the camera app kept processing the video, then it froze the phone and forced a reboot, and then the video was gone. Not a big deal in this case since some other people I was with have videos, but I would be very upset if I was using this for some more unique memory like a family member's wedding or something.

That being said, I would have a real camera for those scenarios, but I'd like to point this out for anyone else considering it. Even with that con, I still love the phone and consider it a worthy upgrade from last year's G7 Power. The screen and sound are a big jump from last year.
    Just curious, but is your G Power set to use internal or external (micro SD) memory for photos and videos? Moto camera software had been historically glitchy (slow to launch, process, and save, "loses" photos, etc.) but it seems to work better if you stick to saving to internal memory. (I use an automated sync app to periodically sweep the photos and videos from internal to SD.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Just curious, but is your G Power set to use internal or external (micro SD) memory for photos and videos? Moto camera software had been historically glitchy (slow to launch, process, and save, "loses" photos, etc.) but it seems to work better if you stick to saving to internal memory. (I use an automated sync app to periodically sweep the photos and videos from internal to SD.)

I have it set to save to MicroSD. I'll try your suggestion. Last year when I had the G7 Power, I used the integrated SD card option where it makes the phone think that the SD card memory is a part of the phone's memory, and I ran into so many stability issues that I ended up hard resetting the phone and never using it again.

I can't believe I didn't think of that. That would explain a lot. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    I have it set to save to MicroSD. I'll try your suggestion. Last year when I had the G7 Power, I used the integrated SD card option where it makes the phone think that the SD card memory is a part of the phone's memory, and I ran into so many stability issues that I ended up hard resetting the phone and never using it again.

I can't believe I didn't think of that. That would explain a lot. Thank you very much for the suggestion.
    Worth a shot. When I first got my X4, I was worried about a bunch of bad reviews about the slow-to-launch camera, but it seemed fine. For a while. Over time it gradually got slower and slower (as did the whole damned phone!)

Using internal memory isn't a cure-all but it vastly improved performance. Then I installed "Synchronize Ultimate" to automatically move all of my pictures, videos and screenshots from main memory to SD every couple of hours to keep the main memory as clear as possible.

(And yeah, that "format as internal" option has been a big mess from the day it was implemented.)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast