Thread: Verizon to Expand Iowa Wireless Coverage by Acquiring Additional Interests

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizon to Expand Iowa Wireless Coverage by Acquiring Additional Interests

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    That's half of one of a LTEiRA partner. I have a feeling the other half will eventually get swallowed up.

This seemed like the plan for LTEiRA to begin with...

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    This is quite momentous. Can’t wait for them to join the Big Red family. Welcome!

I did some poking around and according to this https://www.chatmobility.com/verizon-acquisition it says closing should be late summer or early fall which is pretty soon. When it comes time for Verizon to transition the Chat Mobility customers over, I wonder if all the customer will need to do on their end is put a new Verizon branded SIM in their current phone. Does Chat Mobility have VoLTE? What LTE bands do they use?
    Last edited by DebiLee; 06-17-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wish they could put in a bid for US Cellular.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    2 iPhones are better than one. Twice the fun. Ask anyone.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was soooooo excited to read this until I realized it's the eastern 1/2. I need the western side! Luckily I don't have to live in that hole but it sucks driving 25mi south!

Device(s)
    2 iPhones are better than one. Twice the fun. Ask anyone.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    This is quite momentous. Can’t wait for them to join the Big Red family. Welcome!

I did some poking around and according to this https://www.chatmobility.com/verizon-acquisition it says closing should be late summer or early fall which is pretty soon. When it comes time for Verizon to transition the Chat Mobility customers over, I wonder if all the customer will need to do on their end is put a new Verizon branded SIM in their current phone. Does Chat Mobility have VoLTE? What LTE bands do they use?
    I know a Straight Talk phone with VOLTE will work down there VOLTE only. Visible will not.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beet View Post
    I was soooooo excited to read this until I realized it's the eastern 1/2. I need the western side! Luckily I don't have to live in that hole but it sucks driving 25mi south!
    It makes business sense, as that area includes I-35 and Verizon technically owns a lot of the Chat/VZW-relative band holdings there (that would explain why Verizon had a minority stake in the RSA2 partnership as is). That stretch of 35 I have contacted Verizon about before as problematic, particularly around Van Wert to Osceola. This is one reason why I have a booster in my car. I expect this acquisition will mostly benefit travelers on 35 and the feeder highways.

Yeah, I hear ya on the service hole. I have had similar issues during a trip, passing through Mt. Ayr where I had miles of 2G Extended service at best. The shutoff of 2G will be killer in this area, so hopefully Verizon will not do that quickly in the acquired network assets.

Their devices are not locked so they could easily switch to a Verizon-branded SIM quickly. They use the same bands of Verizon. It seems the majority of Chat's wireless spectrum is leased to them by Verizon as part of LTEiRA (from what I can tell via Spectrum Omega).

Sadly, I suspect those customers might then have to change plans along with the change in SIMs. The wording in that FAQ suggests this might happen. That would make some people's bill raise a lot in comparison to Chat's current pricing model. Hopefully that isn't happening, and they can remain on their current plan pricing.

Feedback Score
    Of course those customers will have to change their plans. They’ll be native Verizon customers after the transition. Someone should look at what happened in other instances when a regional carrier was bought out by Verizon. Maybe that can be used as a yardstick.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Of course those customers will have to change their plans. They’ll be native Verizon customers after the transition. Someone should look at what happened in other instances when a regional carrier was bought out by Verizon. Maybe that can be used as a yardstick.
    The only major ones that can be looked at is Alltel and RCC, but those were pre-LTE.

Verizon took over the Cincinnati Bell Wireless business in 2015, but due to incompatibility with their system (CB was GSM/WCDMA) it was a cutoff notice.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    In distant past when Verizon purchased a carrier, they did let them keep their old plans. In some cases, with old "regional" plans (where you'd pay roaming outside some region) they didn't want to keep track of regions so they switched these to nation wide coverage plans at the same pricing. It's usually a "carrot and stick" sort of situation, where you might get a discounted or free phone if you switch to a current plan. Edit: and it might be a pretty big stick if many Chat users have non-VoLTE phones, since they'd be needing a new phone by the end of the year.

Prepaid's an entirely different situation, however; carriers generally do not grandfather prepaid plans.