Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PagePlus 5G?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

PagePlus 5G?

Hi all! Just wondering if anyone has information on PagePlus 5G when to expect it? I just got a Samsung S20 plus a few days ago, and was just wondering if I should get a new/different Sim card. I basically just ported over my old Sim card from my 3 year old Moto Z Play and everything worked, but wasn't sure if I was supposed to get a new one that supports the latest features/future network upgrades.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Whoops, I forgot to mention that I have the 5g model, so it does support it whenever that becomes available to us page plus customers.

Feedback Score
    It was quite a while after 4G LTE became available before it was available for Vzw MVNOs. Vzw MVNOs were stuck with 3G only for what seemed like a long time after Vzw had 4G LTE!

Although it's just a guess, if history is an indicator, it will be quite a while until 5G is available for Vzw MVNOs.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That's very true. I guess I'll be on 4g for a while. Do you know if vzw prepaid took as long to get 4g as page plus?

Feedback Score
    Vzw needs to get it figured out and well deployed to their customers before the MVNOs.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Vzw needs to get it figured out and well deployed to their customers before the MVNOs.
    Agreed. I seriously doubt that their postpaid customers will have the access they deserve for at least a year and only if they upgrade their current phones to a 5G device. Right now, only people where 5g coverage is confirmed should consider an upgrade if they are interested, everyone else should just wait until there is more widespread, national coverage.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    ..........everyone else should just wait until there is more widespread, national coverage.
    And unless you live in a denser populated area you'll have a very long wait.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Agreed 100%

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNightSky View Post
    That's very true. I guess I'll be on 4g for a while. Do you know if vzw prepaid took as long to get 4g as page plus?
    VZW has always had a pecking order for premium features. Postpaid-Prepaid-MVNOs. There was a lag of features for Prepaid for quite some time, while the MVNOs get even less. VZW even charges a fee for 5G to their premium customers. Worst choice even if you can get it. They put their eggs in the mmWave basket, instead of more useful low-band and mid-band. They are hurting for spectrum.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, I live in San Francisco, so I'm sure it will be available sooner here. But I'm not holding my breath since I'm with page plus. I do know that vzw prepaid was having a deal where it would end up being $60 a month for unlimited everything, but I had no real insentive to switch. I've been with page plus for 7 years now. I do keep my phones until they're dead though, so I guess I'm prepared for the future. When that will be, who knows.

Feedback Score
    I don't get what 5G has to offer for the average user that's a must have. Maybe if you have a business with allot of cloud processing going on.
    I drive 70mph, I don't need a car that does 200.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't get what 5G has to offer for the average user that's a must have. Maybe if you have a business with allot of cloud processing going on.
    I drive 70mph, I don't need a car that does 200.
    I think it's just future proofing. Kind of like RAM or hard drive space. No one needed more than 500mbs of space years ago. Now 1tb of space seems limited.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNightSky View Post
    I think it's just future proofing. Kind of like RAM or hard drive space. No one needed more than 500mbs of space years ago. Now 1tb of space seems limited.
    I agree with that. My current home computer has a 256Gb SSD and a 2Tb HDD. I think I am using less than 100 Gb of total storage. Most of my storage is archived files/pictures/media that I rarely use. I didn't need that much storage when I bought my current computer but it is better to have it now vs. trying to upgrade once I fill up a smaller storage device.

Feedback Score
    But 5G is speed not storage.
    Quote from an article:
    "How Fast Will 5G Be? Tech companies are promising a lot from 5G. While 4G tops out at a theoretical 100 megabits per second (Mbps), 5G tops out at 10 gigabits per second (Gbps). That means 5G is a hundred times faster than the current 4G technology—at its theoretical maximum speed, anyway.Jan 3, 2020"

Another Stat:
    "To stream videos in standard definition, at least 3 Mbps is recommended. To stream video on one device in HD, at least 7 Mbp is recommended. To stream video in HD on multiple devices, at least 13 Mbps is recommended."

Even with future proofing, what are you proofing for other then steaming 100 things at the same time. Or will 5G also provide constant speed regardless of how many users are streaming in the area from the same signal like now? I've read it also will allow more vibrant apps other then just streamers, but those are business related applications. Thus why cities are the core for 5G.
    Also a 3G tower had a signal that reached about 20 miles, then 4G/LTE only about 5 miles, now 5G a couple blocks. Some rural cell service sucks now on 4G; will it be none existent on 5 ?

Again, I'm talking the average/majority user now. Not in 2050. Just trying to understand what it really offers, not just the marketing hype.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was only using the storage example as a comparison of future-proofing. In my example, my computer has much more storage capacity than I ever expect to use and most folks thinking of buying/using a 5G enabled phone are doing the same thing. The average cell phone user will likely not use the full data speeds/capacity available on 5G anytime in the near future. As of right now, it is mostly marketing hype for most users.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast