Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PagePlus 5G?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    The average cell phone user will likely not use the full data speeds/capacity available on 5G anytime in the near future. As of right now, it is mostly marketing hype for most users.
    Some of the hype is that 5G is only one thing, like 4G is. You can really divide it into sub-6 GHz and mm-Wave. The OP bought a Galaxy S20 Plus, which has both ranges, but not all "5G" phones will. The new Qualcomm Snapdragon 690 chipset that may end up in many mid-priced phones seems to not support mm-Wave. The base Galaxy S20 does not either, only the Plus and Ultra. Most 5G is going to be mid-band sub-6 GHz anyway, so few will ever see the super high speeds that are bragged about.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    But 5G is speed not storage.
    Quote from an article:
    "How Fast Will 5G Be? Tech companies are promising a lot from 5G. While 4G tops out at a theoretical 100 megabits per second (Mbps), 5G tops out at 10 gigabits per second (Gbps). That means 5G is a hundred times faster than the current 4G technology—at its theoretical maximum speed, anyway.Jan 3, 2020"

Another Stat:
    "To stream videos in standard definition, at least 3 Mbps is recommended. To stream video on one device in HD, at least 7 Mbp is recommended. To stream video in HD on multiple devices, at least 13 Mbps is recommended."

Even with future proofing, what are you proofing for other then steaming 100 things at the same time. Or will 5G also provide constant speed regardless of how many users are streaming in the area from the same signal like now? I've read it also will allow more vibrant apps other then just streamers, but those are business related applications. Thus why cities are the core for 5G.
    Also a 3G tower had a signal that reached about 20 miles, then 4G/LTE only about 5 miles, now 5G a couple blocks. Some rural cell service sucks now on 4G; will it be none existent on 5 ?

Again, I'm talking the average/majority user now. Not in 2050. Just trying to understand what it really offers, not just the marketing hype.
    I think similar to 4g, the applications will come out once the technology is more widely available. Sometimes technological advancements lag behind innovation (is. gaming physics, battery power) and sometimes technological advancements superseded current usage with innovation to follow. As with most technology though, nothing is ever truly "needed". It is more so a luxury firm of entertainment. I wouldn't be surprised if 5g will be used for online multi-player vr games, advancements in video calling, 8k video streaming etc. down the road. Of course, as of right now, it is just a novelty.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNightSky View Post
    As with most technology though, nothing is ever truly "needed". It is more so a luxury firm of entertainment. I wouldn't be surprised if 5g will be used for online multi-player vr games, advancements in video calling, 8k video streaming etc. down the road. Of course, as of right now, it is just a novelty.
    So why did you pay $1K for something that is practically useless for these "entertainment" features? Especially on Page Plus which does not have any form of 5G, and will likely never get mmWave.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    So why did you pay $1K for something that is practically useless for these "entertainment" features? Especially on Page Plus which does not have any form of 5G, and will likely never get mmWave.
    I didn't pay 1k for the 5g. I bought the phone because I like the phone.

Feedback Score
    So can a unlocked samsung s20fe 5g be used on pageplus? I know it won't have 5g but should still be able to work with 4g lte correct?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zok329 View Post
    So can a unlocked samsung s20fe 5g be used on pageplus? I know it won't have 5g but should still be able to work with 4g lte correct?
    Yes, it should work fine on 4G (VOLTE/LTE) as long as they allow that phone on their network. I suggest you ask them directly.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 01-15-2021 at 11:18 PM.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much. I enter the imei on pageplus imei check page to see and all it tells me is they can't activate the 5g device. Should I call them? The phone is brand new and unlocked and don't want to break the seal unless I know it will work. Should I just call pageplus? Has anyone had luck with unlocked Samsung galaxy s20fe on pageplus ? Don't care if 5g doesn't work but just need the 4g lte to work. Any help will be much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much. I enter the imei on pageplus imei check page to see and all it tells me is they can't activate the 5g device. Should I call them? The phone is brand new and unlocked and don't want to break the seal unless I know it will work. Should I just call pageplus? Has anyone had luck with unlocked Samsung galaxy s20fe on pageplus ? Don't care if 5g doesn't work but just need the 4g lte to work. Any help will be much appreciated.
    I doubt talking or chatting with PP CSR will help. If their imei checker says it can't be used they'll say the same thing since I doubt they even know what 5G is and that the phone should also be 4G/VoLTE capable . Took them years to know what VoLTE was.
    I never heard of a 5G phone that wasn't also 4G/LTE. There'd be no sense buying one since 5G isn't everywhere. Some people only think of 5G as uwb5G like in cities and not the Vzw nationwide 5G that just shares band 5 with 4G. But I'm not totally on board with the 5G stuff yet.

Did you run the imei through Verizon's imei check? If it's good there it must be whitelisted so should be ok on PP.
    Did you buy the phone factory unlocked from Samsung? So if you can't get it on PP, you're saying you don't want any other carrier?? I don't understand.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, well my mom has pageplus and this phone is for her. I already have a phone so wouldn't have use for it. I bought the phone new unlocked from best buy because I assumed it should work with pageplus. I will try verizon imei check and see what comes up. My mom would preferably stay with pageplus because she's never had any issues with them.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, well my mom has pageplus and this phone is for her. I already have a phone so wouldn't have use for it. I bought the phone new unlocked from best buy because I assumed it should work with pageplus. I will try verizon imei check and see what comes up. My mom would preferably stay with pageplus because she's never had any issues with them.
    Thanks, I can understand wanting to stay with PP for mom if she uses PayGo. Be careful with some so called unlocked phones BestBuy sells. Some are unlocked, but not for any carrier. Depends on the actual model number, not the model name.

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks, so text and phone calls work but can't get internet to work and pageplus isn't being much help. Does anyone know what I need to do to get the internet to work?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    4G data should work fine even if 5G networks are present. The issue is whether or not your carrier will allow the device to be used/activated on their plans. A 5G phone will be backwards compatible with the 4G networks.

Feedback Score
    Not sure if pageplus on the phone is giving me the right apn to enter. Its a brand new unlocked samsung s20fe sm-g781u1/ds model.

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks, so text and phone calls work but can't get internet to work and pageplus isn't being much help. Does anyone know what I need to do to get the internet to work?
    Did you configure the APN for Page Plus?

https://www.apnsettings.org/us/page-plus/

Feedback Score
    Yes I tried one they gave me and also tried the link that was just provided on here. No internet connection just text and phone calls. Pageplus isn't really helping at all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast