Thread: Canít AT&T flip a switch and light up lowband 5g nationwide like T-Mobile did?

Feedback Score

Canít AT&T flip a switch and light up lowband 5g nationwide like T-Mobile did?

I saw that they lit up more markets but sadly not mine. Does AT&T use 850 for low band 5g? And do they have it nationwide? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ∑T∑∑∑Mobile∑ USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    No, because T-Mobile has a dedicated band for 5G, did the prepwork early, and is not using DSS like AT&T. DSS requires AT&T to go back and swap equipment at each site to enable DSS.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Agreed.....

Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    No, because T-Mobile has a dedicated band for 5G, did the prepwork early, and is not using DSS like AT&T. DSS requires AT&T to go back and swap equipment at each site to enable DSS.
    Until the infrastructure is in place/approved by the FCC, there is no switch to flip. T-mobile definitely got the drop on the competition early in this race.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Until the infrastructure is in place/approved by the FCC, there is no switch to flip. T-mobile definitely got the drop on the competition early in this race.
    Exactly. Not using DSS is what allowed T-Mobile to do it early.. that was my main point.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    ďThe Internet wasnít meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so itís insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead ó itís a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.Ē John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    I saw that they lit up more markets but sadly not mine. Does AT&T use 850 for low band 5g? And do they have it nationwide? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The upgrades for firstnet included swapping the radios with NR compatible equipment. They are rolling it out on n5 first. If there is no band 5 available in your area, you are SOL until they start rolling out n2 and eventually n66, n12 and n14 whenever that may be. N5 now covers around 160m pop's. DSS or not, its on band 5 first.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I've noticed at least for around me that it is taking an additional tower climb to get N5 working. It usually involves swapping out more antennas as well. I have seen on some of the site plans for areas that post them with permits that the 850 radio was only connected on 2 of the 4 ports originally for sites built before N5 launched, the other two radio ports being capped off. Not sure what the reasoning for that was but it explains the slow rollout of N5 and why I'm seeing additional tower climbs and antenna swaps. Louisville KY had a majority of sites upgraded and broadcasting B5 LTE by the time it was shut off late last year for the N5 turn up, but there's still only a fraction of those sites that are now broadcasting N5. One of the sites not far from my house was upgraded about 2 months before they shut down B5 LTE on it and it stills isn't broadcasting N5. They have been working fast to get more N5 active, and I'd say its probably doubled at least since I got my S20+ back in early March. Everything touched since the switch to N5 is getting it on the first trip now, and I've noticed that instead of B14 being the first thing to light up its now N5 and most of our recent rebuilds around here don't seen to even have B14 yet.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Canít AT&T flip a switch and light up lowband 5g nationwide like T-Mobile did?

Exactly. Not using DSS is what allowed T-Mobile to do it early.. that was my main point.
    But at what cost? Now 600mhz isnít speedy for LTE and no one is really using NR yet. Meh.

I wasnít thrilled when B5 lte vanished for N5. Usually doesnít make a difference but in my office for whatever reason, B5 was preferred and my speeds took a hit.

Iím glad Verizon and AT&T are using DSS; hopefully soon in my area because B5 is missed.
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    But at what cost? Now 600mhz isn’t speedy for LTE and no one is really using NR yet. Meh.

I wasn’t thrilled when B5 lte vanished for N5. Usually doesn’t make a difference but in my office for whatever reason, B5 was preferred and my speeds took a hit.

I’m glad Verizon and AT&T are using DSS; hopefully soon in my area because B5 is missed.
    In all fairness, once Sprint is integrated, and they get a block of 5G running in an extra PCS block.. T-Moblie will blow away anything AT&T and Verizon can do anyway, as they have the spectrum to do it.

600MHz LTE was experimental, and was a **** match at the beginning, and we all knew that from the start, but with what they have with Sprint's assets.. there will be no competition, especially in metro areas for the next few years.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    DSS is not a part of AT&Tís initial lowband 5G rollout. It works only using 10x10 MHz or wider channels... which they coincidentally only have in Texas for 850... where DSS is live. They need to go back and swap equipment at each site to make sure they have modern (if B5 was deployed early on) or added 850. AT&T is doing all of this with FirstNet. T-Mobile has a newer band, 600 MHz, which they needed to deploy desperately. Between B12, B14, and B29, AT&T was not hurting for lowband capacity, and had nearly nationwide low band coverage. T-Mobileís 700 MHz licenses donít cover the entire CONUS.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Part of this, ALL of T-Mobile's low-band equipment is new within the last like 2 or 3 years, they didn't have low band before that. AT&T and Verizon? I'm sure there's plenty of newer hardware, but some of that LTE equipment could be 5 or 10 years old by now, it would not be new enough to software upgrade to 5G. I'm guessing when AT&T and VZW light up low band 5G, it'll effectively be a nice map of where the newer equipment is and where it isn't.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    DSS is not a part of AT&T’s initial lowband 5G rollout. It works only using 10x10 MHz or wider channels... which they coincidentally only have in Texas for 850... where DSS is live. They need to go back and swap equipment at each site to make sure they have modern (if B5 was deployed early on) or added 850. AT&T is doing all of this with FirstNet. T-Mobile has a newer band, 600 MHz, which they needed to deploy desperately. Between B12, B14, and B29, AT&T was not hurting for lowband capacity, and had nearly nationwide low band coverage. T-Mobile’s 700 MHz licenses don’t cover the entire CONUS.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    but 600MHz does, and clearly T-Mobile did the prepwork ahead of time.