Thread: Looking for a good low-use plan for coverage backup on ATT or VZW

Feedback Score

Looking for a good low-use plan for coverage backup on ATT or VZW

I'm on T-Mobile but occasionally find myself in rural areas that aren't covered well yet.

I'm looking for a backup SIM for those occasions.

I estimate I will need around 2-3 GB total over a year. Some months I will need none and some months I will need a lot, so if there's a yearly plan it would be best. Talk and text is not important to me.

(Until recently I was using FreedomPop's yearly paid plan but their service is so crappy I can't take it. Data keeps getting turned off for no reason and then I have to contact CS to restart it.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    I'm on T-Mobile but occasionally find myself in rural areas that aren't covered well yet.

I estimate I will need around 2-3 GB total over a year. Some months I will need none and some months I will need a lot, so if there's a yearly plan it would be best. Talk and text is not important to me.

(Until recently I was using FreedomPop's yearly paid plan but their service is so crappy I can't take it. Data keeps getting turned off for no reason and then I have to contact CS to restart it.)
    If you are able to predict your data usage, check out US mobile. You can just customize it for the month you are on. Just pay monthly $1.50 monthly for 50 MB to keep it alive monthly, and then just customize your data up for the month following an expected high usage... https://www.usmobile.com/plans

There's also TracFone which is $125 annually, comes with 1.5 GB and you could add $10 per GB as you see fit. It already comes with 1500 t&t... https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans

Both are Verizon byod sim, TracFone also has gsm (att sim) if you decide to do both

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post

FreedomPop would have been my first recommendation. FP AT&T LTE free and 1GB/mo annual prepaid have both been extremely reliable for me, but if that's not an option, TF is probably the next best thing, especially with you max 3GB estimated annual data usage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Pr...-/283493024108 is $49.99 for 1200/1200/3GB/1 Year, which should perfectly meet your requirements.

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that even Vzw or ATT don't cover some rural areas well. It'll still boil down to where you are. Network coverage maps are extremely inaccurate for some rural areas. I'm in a populated rural area. Vzw, ATT, and TM maps all show LTE coverage the same as my nearest city (20 miles). All I get is a fringe Vzw signal. ATT/TMO none existent. I guess they can claim their maps are accurate if someone wants to spend several hundred $ on a signal booster. Find out which network is best in the rural areas you visit from real users there. Or are you planning on carrying a sim for all 3 and hoping one works?

Feedback Score