Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Unlimited Hotspot

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Just put the SIM in, if it's unlocked, not marked stolen, or balance owed.. it'll "just work"

They know they're spectrum starved, and they really cannot support it.

I remember a time Verizon refused to put WiFi in the blackberries they sold because their 3G was "good enough, and no customer should need WiFi", and they sold unlimited LTE hotspot, as well as did not throttle video - but then they had a rude awakening about how garbage their spectrum holdings were once they got the iPhone.
    Will my point is a video stream at 480p would use more data in an hour than a hotspot at the same speed since unlike a stream you're not constantly using that much bandwidth. If I load a webpage then spend the next 15 minutes reading what's on it I'm only using data for the couple of seconds it takes the page to load. If I'm watching a 15 minute video I'm using data the entire time

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Will my point is a video stream at 480p would use more data in an hour than a hotspot at the same speed since unlike a stream you're not constantly using that much bandwidth. If I load a webpage then spend the next 15 minutes reading what's on it I'm only using data for the couple of seconds it takes the page to load. If I'm watching a 15 minute video I'm using data the entire time
    I know what you meant, but I do recall the days I listed there. Verizon really screwed the pooch.. so it's gonna be interesting to see their long term strategy.. especially if T-Mobile pulls off what I think they're going too over the next 5yrs. Verizon wont stand a chance rurally, as 2.5GHz is perfect for fixed wireless rurally, and in the metro area it's great for capacity.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    Visible: $25 “toy” SIM card to throw in whatever’s secondary.

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I know what you meant, but I do recall the days I listed there. Verizon really screwed the pooch.. so it's gonna be interesting to see their long term strategy.. especially if T-Mobile pulls off what I think they're going too over the next 5yrs. Verizon wont stand a chance rurally, as 2.5GHz is perfect for fixed wireless rurally, and in the metro area it's great for capacity.
    T-mobile could care less about the rural country bumpkins. Fact is nobody care's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    T-mobile could care less about the rural country bumpkins. Fact is nobody care's.
    I care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    You'd be surprised. They just did not have any meaningful spectrum to use out that way. I'm betting you'll see some different options coming up from them.

I know even in Ohio i'm now getting T-Mobile 600/700MHz in some spots verizon does not even work.

Feedback Score
    Doesn’t Verizon plan on having nationwide 5g by the end of the year? So they do care idk how much DSS plays into it

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Sad to live your life in a 5 square mile area, and never travel or choose a better lifestyle in the country. The arrogance of cubicle dwellers
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Feedback Score
    Those country bumpkins might just be the ones feeding your belly. You should care.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    Doesn’t Verizon plan on having nationwide 5g by the end of the year? So they do care idk how much DSS plays into it

DSS is the *only* way they can do it, and with it only offering maybe 20% more efficient operation vs LTE... it’s certainly not going to make them a speed king anytime soon.

I’m just interested to see if T-Mobile ends up being as aggressive as they have been with build-outs these last 5yrs or so.. if they are, then Verizon will have actual competition. I know around the Midwest, the rural coverage has improved dramatically over the last 2yrs or so, and generally they have matched Verizon for at least outdoor coverage at this point in most places I’ve tested it.

I’m hoping they’re smart and use 2.5GHz for point to point fixed wireless rurally as it’ll be able to run at a full 3w, and provide decent speeds for people stuck on ~768k DSL, or even that if they’re lucky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2