Thread: Phone turns off by itself in hot vehicle

Feedback Score

Phone turns off by itself in hot vehicle

Both my Visible ZTE A7 and Blade 10 Prime will power off if I leave them in my vehicle on hot days. Anyone experience this?? I'm sure it's meant to protect the battery but I've never experienced this with other brands. Does ZTE just have the temp threshold set to low???

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, this is normal and by design. The device turns off due to overheating to prevent damage to the battery. I don't know how it works but there is a very good reason for doing so. It is strongly recommended not to leave electronics with rechargeable batteries in that type of environment. Excess heat can cause a battery to ignite and/or explode and cause a dangerous chemical fire.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Long ago, my dad accidentally did this a few Samsung phones. He still does it once in while tho.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Several phones ago, I would leave my phone in my car when I went to work because I was not allowed to bring it in the workplace. The battery in that phone died and I had to replace the battery (back when you could service the battery).

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I've had the phone shut off if sitting on the seat in direct sunlight when also plugged in to charge.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    If you have to leave a phone in the car I suggest using a reflective shade in the front window. It will drop the temperature up to 20 degrees.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The phone is like a computer with no cooling. It will shut off if it overheats. The battery will cut out in extreme cold as well.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Significant capacity damage to the battery results from each overheat, more damage for longer overheat.

The risk of incendiary event from a legit vendor unmolested battery left in car interior is not a significant concern otherwise countless vehicles would self-ignite.

A credit card melted on car dashboard yesterday and it is a bit wavy now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bald2718281828 View Post
    Significant capacity damage to the battery results from each overheat, more damage for longer overheat.

The risk of incendiary event from a legit vendor unmolested battery left in car interior is not a significant concern otherwise countless vehicles would self-ignite.

A credit card melted on car dashboard yesterday and it is a bit wavy now.
    Yeah a friend left his iphone twice in the car on a hot day. His phone wasn’t that old maybe 2 months max and the battery capacity is at 90% now after two heatings

Feedback Score
    Heat is a phone killer!!..

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Extreme heat and cold will degrade your battery.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny180 View Post
    Heat is a phone killer!!..
    I agree that it can't be good for a phone and battery to get hot enough to shutdown on over temperature.

That said, I kept an inactive, powered off Tracfone in my car for something like ten years before it died. How bad the battery got before it died is unknown, but, until it died, it would power up and function. Since the Tracfone died I have kept an old Galaxy S3 in the glovebox for two years and it is still doing fine when I check it monthly. My conclusion is that a hot car is not a quick killer for a powered off backup phone. This is in central Virginia where it gets plenty hot in a car in Summer.

I would not do this to a phone that was worth much.

I have an old Galaxy S4 that will screen mirror to my Roku over WiFi. If I do that, the phone gets pretty hot and will shut down after about 20 minutes with a message that it is too hot, so thermal shutdown is a real thing.

Feedback Score
    I failed to mention that the ZTEs were sitting right next to my Moto G6 and the G6 never powered off. I was just wondering if ZTE may have set the temp sensor to power off to soon. I've left phones in hot vehicles many times and never had this happen before.