Thread: What LTE Bands should a new phone have for Boost considering Dish/T-Mobile deal?

Feedback Score

What LTE Bands should a new phone have for Boost considering Dish/T-Mobile deal?

I am looking to buy a family member a new phone as a birthday gift to use on Boost and I would like it to be as future proof on the network as it can, considering the expected changes resulting from the Boost/Dish/T-Mobile deal. I am considering some of the iPhone models, but would like to ask

1) What LTE bands is Boost currently using?
    2) What LTE bands are likely to be used by Boost phone plans in the coming year or two as a result of the deal?

The recipient travels, so I ask this question generally for the network as a whole, as opposed to considering a specific location.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Boost is currently using the Sprint LTE bands. If the sale to Dish happens the phones will need T-Mobile bands. Sprint phones are now allowed to roam on T-Mobile if they have the capability, but not sure if Boost phones are. It is assumed that a lot of Boost phones are not going to be capable. VoLTE also plays into the situation. Not all Sprint phones/plans have VoLTE, which will be needed for the T-Mobil network.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Chea...he-USA_id77933

Later iPhone models should be fine. SE, XR/XS, 11 series. Non-TMO branded Android phones until recently often lack the important B71, so look it up by model.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Boost is already migrating to the T-Mobile network for the majority of new customers and many of those who upgrade to a newer device. Those with older device kits have the option to start or remain with a Sprint SIM, but this might change soon (possible they will stop activation of Sprint-only devices before the network is dismantled). The Dish ownership transition is supposed to begin this week.

If you go into a branded Boost store, very likely they only sell T-Mobile devices and "TN" SIM now; this has been in the works for over a month now. Many will also activate on BOYD a number of devices onto the TN SIM. (see this Reddit post for additional details from a Boost store rep). Many stores will not give a "yellow" Sprint SIM except for replacement on an existing account, if they even have them in stock. Online, there is only a few devices still being sold with a Sprint SIM to start.

That said, you'll want a device with as many T-Mobile LTE bands as possible, particularly B66 and B71. The phone will also need VoLTE if you want to stay on Boost's plan after the transition finishes (even if one use a Sprint phone/SIM as CDMA voice service will eventually go away).

The iPhone models lobo mentioned is a good start, as are the Pixel 4 series. Most unlocked models do not officially activate on Boost yet, even with the T-Mobile transition Boost still uses a whitelist for activation. Short term, you might have to stick with T-Mobile sold devices or ones like the iPhones or Pixels for best chance to activate with the TN SIM. SIM swapping is planned to happen, but only on TN SIMs.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    The best T-mobile experience is with bands 66 and 71.

Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    The best T-mobile experience is with bands 66 and 71.

Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app
    It depends on the area. There are no B66 and B71 in area where I live. But B2/B4/B12 are required. VoLTE is also required unless you use the phone for data only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    It depends on the area. There are no B66 and B71 in area where I live. But B2/B4/B12 are required. VoLTE is also required unless you use the phone for data only.
    Phones are mobile and not all areas have band 66 and or 71. Some areas coverage has improved because bands 66 and 71 have been implemented. Unless you never leave home the best T-mobile experience is going to be with a phone that has bands 66 and 71.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score
    My brother's phone died and he just bought the lg k51 from boost online.

So are you saying that the new phones are going to be on the T-Mobile network?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    My brother's phone died and he just bought the lg k51 from boost online.

So are you saying that the new phones are going to be on the T-Mobile network?
    Many yes. If it comes with both types of SIMs, it will depends on which SIM will activate. There's Reddit reports of two ordered together models, one only could activate with Sprint SIM, the other only with TN.

It it only comes with one SIM, then most likely it will be a TN SIM.

Note: if the TN SIM is the one that activated, it's a one way trip and can't return to Sprint SIM later.

Last edited by Haas_Dave; 07-05-2020 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Added note

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Many yes. If it comes with both types of SIMs, it will depends on which SIM will activate. There's Reddit reports of two ordered together models, one only could activate with Sprint SIM, the other only with TN.

It it only comes with one SIM, then most likely it will be a TN SIM.

Note: if the TN SIM is the one that activated, it's a one way trip and can't return to Sprint SIM later.

Today I helped setup my brothers new phone. It came with a SIM card installed inside the phone and another one in an Orange envelope that said to use that one instead so I installed the SIM from the Orange envelope.

The Orange envelope SIM said something about being an extended network.

We swapped phones online and it showed the new phone online as if it worked but the phone would not activate. I had to call support to help get the phone activated which the support guy fixed.

Also the support guy said my brother could keep his same plan but could no longer get the $5 off so instead of paying $30 would have to pay $35 so my brother was not happy about that.

I am not sure what the problem was but I think it is something wrong with their system not what I did to swap phones. The whole experience was a hassle.