Thread: Interesting response for performance issues - Fillmore, CA

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Interesting response for performance issues - Fillmore, CA

I've called into T-Mobile in the past (January 2020) to complain about performance issues as they have typically been around the 1Mbps range for Fillmore, CA. It isn't an issue with coverage (5/5 bars, ~-80dBm), but a capacity issue.
    I had the same issue back in Memorial Day getting ~500kbps in town. I filed a ticket.
    Issue still persists as of 1 week ago, and the T-Mobile technical rep claimed that the issue had been 'resolved', ticket closed as a capacity issue. Note: This area was also upgraded to 5G / n71/B71 in May.
    The site has: B2 15x15, B4 20x20, B12 5x5 and B 71 15x15.
    The issue has not been resolved, as I spoke yesterday with technical support (they called back from May's original issue as I escalated). T-Mobile claims that the issue will be resolved within 12 months.
    T-Mobile has been aware of this issue, but has not done anything.
    My personal suspicion - waiting for project to integrate Sprint, low priority. The issue that I really had was a T-Mobile rep literally telling me that the issue was resolved, and I should have no issues, when this won't be fixed for many months.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    How is Sprint's speed/coverage in the area? Sprint may actually be the reason why, as why order additional backhaul if you already know in a few months you're going to be getting a better one that's already there anyway?

I Imagine in that market, Sprint probably has a denser cell grid due to 2.5GHz, and I'm betting that T-Mobile plans on just using that, although telling you it's "resolved" when in fact it's not was not good on their end.

The message should have been "We are aware, we are working on it, and pending the sprint network integration the issues will be resolved"

There's a reason T-Mobile was so hot to get Sprint, they REALLY needed that spectrum/cell site placement Sprint had, as Sprint had a lot of great assets.. they were just too broke to utilize them properly. I'm really intrigued to see what comes out of this over the next year or so.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm personally not sure, as cellmapper and others really don't show it except CDMA. Opensignal / Root Metrics show coverage as ok, but nothing much else.
    T-Mobile has GOOD coverage in the area, and as you leave town (east/west), performance increases. I do think that they might just add B41 LTE/5G and call it a day, IMHO, as this isn't a huge city (14k). Sadly, it would probably be simpler to put up a small site near the center of town/CA-136. I do see a carrier closer to the highway (C street/River St) on a fascade water tower, but T-Mobile's is on the hillside.
    If I'm not mistaken, Sprint actually 'owned' many of its sites.
    Not sure if you know the area.. but its a few sq miles of urban ... followed by rural farmland / hill for ~15 miles in every direction

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I think they even filmed their last Super Bowl commercial there in Fillmore?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ZERY/t-mobil...-call-us-crazy

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Its possible that some pieces might have been filmed there.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I even wonder if they're going to start using SprintLink as their primary backbone. Sprint had a VERY impressive Fiber backhaul network that's global, It would make sense as even with AT&T most backhaul is in-house where possible as it's "cheaper"

T-Mobile got a lot of great assets with Sprint, and I imagine all of these projects have been put on "hold" until they can figure out the gameplan for that as well.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I even wonder if they're going to start using SprintLink as their primary backbone. Sprint had a VERY impressive Fiber backhaul network that's global, It would make sense as even with AT&T most backhaul is in-house where possible as it's "cheaper"

T-Mobile got a lot of great assets with Sprint, and I imagine all of these projects have been put on "hold" until they can figure out the gameplan for that as well.
    I recall working projects where large mergers take place and there's many a day/night waiting to see what bits are kept/scrapped and reworked.
    There's a good chance that in many places, Sprint may have fiber where T-Mobile has either legacy or microwave backhaul. Similarly, there's many places where T-Mobile has service (recent B12/B71 rural builds) and Sprint probably has roaming only.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I recall working projects where large mergers take place and there's many a day/night waiting to see what bits are kept/scrapped and reworked.
    There's a good chance that in many places, Sprint may have fiber where T-Mobile has either legacy or microwave backhaul. Similarly, there's many places where T-Mobile has service (recent B12/B71 rural builds) and Sprint probably has roaming only.
    Sprint's fiber network is from legacy 80's Long Distance and landline services, it covers far more than the PCS network ever did, and spans all around the globe.

http://www.sprint.net/

https://www.sprint.net/images/networ...rthAmerica.png

T-Mobile USA is now a legitimate Level3 carrier now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I find it interesting that the shore access point is at Morrow Bay on the west coast

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Looks like performance issue may be general spectrum issue. Signal was strong, but awful noise. Dropping to HSPA+ brought me to 12Mbps from 0.24Mbps. Name:  Capture%2B_2020-07-05-14-52-34.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  22.7 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Sprint's fiber network is from legacy 80's Long Distance and landline services, it covers far more than the PCS network ever did, and spans all around the globe.

http://www.sprint.net/

https://www.sprint.net/images/networ...rthAmerica.png

T-Mobile USA is now a legitimate Level3 carrier now.
    Not to take things too off-topic, but part of me wonders if these type of products will still carry the Sprint brand in some capacity. They're not as consumer-facing and it's happened in other areas (Verizon uses the MCI brand for a lot of their fiber...including relatively new signs).