Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: Poorly Covered Public Beaches

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,163
    Feedback Score
    0

    Poorly Covered Public Beaches

    Since the beginning of cellular phones, Aliso Beach (near Laguna Beach) in Orange County California has been a coverage hole. My phone continually flips between 1x, 3g, and LTE. If I put the phone in my pocket, it makes the situation worse. Why doesn’t Verizon cover this popular public area? The least that they could do is to put a microcell on one of the light poles. Why does Verizon allow this coverage hole to exist seemingly forever? Unfortunate there is no way to get them to act on this problem.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    563
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Same story with Coronado Beach & the famous Hotel Del in San Diego. Horrible Verizon coverage.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,440
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    Poorly Covered Public Beaches

    I know in northern coastal OC the terrain remains relatively flat with only a modest elevation gain as you go inland.

    In South County there are a lot more cliffs and bluffs likely blocking out macro signals from a few miles inland.

    And the NIMBY’s always fight any attempt to build cell sites around the communities that are cliff-side or hillside facing the water.

    I’m not making excuses for the poor coastal coverage but I’m sure they have something to do with it.

    How do the other carriers compare in those locations?

    Name:  IMG_0147.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  98.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0148.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  99.2 KB


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,147
    Feedback Score
    0
    I told Verizon that people didn't need to use their phone at the beach. I guess they listened.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,116
    Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    How do you call 911 if no cell service exists in beaches?

    Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,163
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    How do you call 911 if no cell service exists in beaches?

    Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app
    Good question. If you figure it out, let me know.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,163
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Same story with Coronado Beach & the famous Hotel Del in San Diego. Horrible Verizon coverage.
    Why?? This is such a popular tourist spot? Doesn’t make any sense.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,163
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I know in northern coastal OC the terrain remains relatively flat with only a modest elevation gain as you go inland.

    In South County there are a lot more cliffs and bluffs likely blocking out macro signals from a few miles inland.

    And the NIMBY’s always fight any attempt to build cell sites around the communities that are cliff-side or hillside facing the water.

    I’m not making excuses for the poor coastal coverage but I’m sure they have something to do with it.

    How do the other carriers compare in those locations?

    Name:  IMG_0147.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  98.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0148.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  99.2 KB


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Good question. Does anyone know how other carriers do at Aliso Beach and other beach areas in SoCal?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,180
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    How do you call 911 if no cell service exists in beaches? Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app
    i believe 911 service can be used regardless whether the phone has service or not.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 06-22-2020 at 03:59 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,163
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    i believe 911 service can be used regardless whether the phone has service or not.
    That doesn’t make any sense. Please explain how.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 06-22-2020 at 03:59 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,021
    Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    If no coverage on the beach is a deal breaker, I would recommend you switch to another wireless provider that does have coverage on the beach.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,291
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    That doesn’t make any sense. Please explain how.
    It makes sense because the FCC mandated it. Nothing new. It was mandated in 1999.

    An exception would be if you had an older technology phone such as an Analog or 2G device where those networks were shut down with most carriers in the US and the cellular technology no longer exists.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,116
    Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I know but what if there are no carriers that has service there? Can't expect everyone to carry a satellite phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    i believe 911 service can be used regardless whether the phone has service or not.
    Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,180
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    I know but what if there are no carriers that has service there? Can't expect everyone to carry a satellite phone. Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app
    see here - https://www.911.gov/frequently_asked_questions.html see under Can I dial 911 from a wireless phone without a wireless calling plan?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,291
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    This is an article directly from the FCC about 911 and e911 service: https://www.fcc.gov/general/9-1-1-and-e9-1-1-services

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Public Mobile Public now covering Thornhill, Markham, Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa
    By computergeek541 in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 08:53 AM
  2. Poor reception in Long Beach NY...
    By helix66 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 07:47 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 10:42 AM
  4. RazrV3 poor battery cover fit...
    By Douge in forum Motorola
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 09:41 PM
  5. Solution for V600 Poorly Fitting Antenna Port Cover
    By trant in forum Motorola Modding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 04:56 PM

Bookmarks