Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Poorly Covered Public Beaches

Feedback Score
    I think what WiredGuy meant was if there’s physically no signal from any carrier at that location, there’s nothing for the cellphone to connect to to send out a 911 call. It’d be the equivalent of trying to place a call on a deserted island with no cell towers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    I think what WiredGuy meant was if there’s physically no signal from any carrier at that location, there’s nothing for the cellphone to connect to to send out a 911 call. It’d be the equivalent of trying to place a call on a deserted island with no cell towers.
    according to this - https://survivalfreedom.com/do-emerg...ithout-signal/ you can. now, how this works on a deserted island remains to be seen.

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    I know but what if there are no carriers that has service there? Can't expect everyone to carry a satellite phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app
    What if’s are fun to ponder, given all the popular tourist spots, buildings, neighborhoods, highways without cell service it’s amazing we have survived 🤔
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    according to this - https://survivalfreedom.com/do-emerg...ithout-signal/ you can. now, how this works on a deserted island remains to be seen.
    Uhh , did you read the article?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Good question. If you figure it out, let me know.
    Well, 911 is going to use any carriers signal that's available... You don't even need to be registered onto the network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Ah I see, that would indeed be the case. If you need to, lift your phone as high as you can and hold it from the sides.

Feedback Score
    Your understanding is correct. Emergency calls can only work if another network is available. You don't need to authenticate on the other network, but you still need a usable signal. Most phones will show zero bars when performing emergency attach to another network. This doesn't mean there is no signal.
    I know but what if there are no carriers that has service there? Can't expect everyone to carry a satellite phone.

Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sure, but you don't hear how many lives could have been saved if there was ability to reach 911.
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    What if’s are fun to ponder, given all the popular tourist spots, buildings, neighborhoods, highways without cell service it’s amazing we have survived

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Sure, but you don't hear how many lives could have been saved if there was ability to reach 911.

Thanks for proving my point. If you are that scared buy a Spot, Inreach Explorer, or PLB.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    That's not even possible.. if there's no signal to be had, the phone cannot transmit..

Now and UNACTIAVTED phone that can get some kind of signal... yes..

Try grabbing an old iDen, TDMA, or AMPS phone. I guarantee you 911 wont work... as those networks are gone!

Also, at most beaches, i've not had any issues with AT&T.. sometimes it drops to HSPA, but still works? I don't use my phone much when i'm there though. I think this is a side effect of how dense Verizon has to make the inland network due to having less spectrum assets as a whole compared to T-Mobile/AT&T.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have family in Laguna beach and they all had to switch to AT&T. Verizon service is very weak to none throughout the area. Maybe AT&T would work better on that beach location?

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well, you better hope you're not in an emergency and need to call 911 in the future without any service.

This article reaffirms the need for service:

https://midhudsonnews.com/2020/02/21...des-dead-zone/
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    Thanks for proving my point. If you are that scared buy a Spot, Inreach Explorer, or PLB.

Feedback Score

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missing...nal-of-ordeal/ This still makes me cry. Her search was shown on the Animal Planet series “North Woods Law”. Had there been some sort of coverage out there she would still be alive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    I have family in Laguna beach and they all had to switch to AT&T. Verizon service is very weak to none throughout the area. Maybe AT&T would work better on that beach location?
    I wonder if there is any way that I can test an ATT sim in my phone for a few days without actually signing-up for ATT service. Is it possible to get a low cost prepaid ATT Sim at an ATT so that I can give it a try in problem areas?

Feedback Score
    You can try H2O wireless. They use the AT&T network.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast