Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Poorly Covered Public Beaches

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I wonder if there is any way that I can test an ATT sim in my phone for a few days without actually signing-up for ATT service. Is it possible to get a low cost prepaid ATT Sim at an ATT so that I can give it a try in problem areas?
    Yeah! just order a prepaid SIM with a month of service and pop it in. Your Verizon phone should be unlocked.

I've found in general though, as long as the phone has Band 14 FirstNet support (normal customers can use it, just at a lower priority than first responder accounts)... AT&T is quite a bit better than Verizon in most spots nowadays that I compare the two.

$35 will give you 30 days of service, unlimited talk/text/2GB of data to check it out (and it will just not bill when it runs out)

also keep in mind if you're cool just buying your phone outright, you an do two lines of unlimited talk/text/data/10GB hotspot per line for $90/mo on prepaid vs just getting a bill in the mail - it's a good deal.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    Visible: $25 “toy” SIM card to throw in whatever’s secondary.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for this information. I will give it a try within the next several weeks and see how it works out. No harm in doing some testing.

Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Yeah! just order a prepaid SIM with a month of service and pop it in. Your Verizon phone should be unlocked.

I've found in general though, as long as the phone has Band 14 FirstNet support (normal customers can use it, just at a lower priority than first responder accounts)... AT&T is quite a bit better than Verizon in most spots nowadays that I compare the two.

$35 will give you 30 days of service, unlimited talk/text/2GB of data to check it out (and it will just not bill when it runs out)

also keep in mind if you're cool just buying your phone outright, you an do two lines of unlimited talk/text/data/10GB hotspot per line for $90/mo on prepaid vs just getting a bill in the mail - it's a good deal.

Feedback Score
    I think that if we really want to have reliable 911 service, that sat phone operability should be built-in to all smartphones. The chip manufacturers would find a low-cost way to add this functionality if it was mandated by the FCC. When there are not cell towers and you call 911, the phone will just use satellite service. Of course you will need to be outdoors for this to work. Sounds like a great idea to me and would save a lot of lives and risky search operations rescuing lost/injured hikers. What does everyone think?

Feedback Score
    I think phones are already high cost enough without mandating satellite phone hardware capability. This is not a risk free world. if you're that scared, don't go to the beach...............or buy a satellite phone, but don't make me pay for one also.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    I think phones are already high cost enough without mandating satellite phone hardware capability. This is not a risk free world. if you're that scared, don't go to the beach...............or buy a satellite phone, but don't make me pay for one also.
    I'd imagine as advanced as radios are now, it would not be hard, nor expensive to put the frequencies on said chip. the problem is the antenna that would need to be added.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Don't all satellite phones have a bulky external antenna?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I can't say with certainty that all of them do, but every picture I have seen of one has a large external antenna.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    That was my point

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Pretty sure. Your hand would probably block the signal otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    They do make this odd contraption for those who need it.

https://www.satphonestore.com/tech-b...-product-media

Feedback Score
    If we're really interested in doing something to cellphones which would save lives, we could totally disable them when they reach a speed of 5 miles per hour. At least half of the vehicles I see every morning, the driver has a phone stuck in front of their face. Really, they can't wait until they get where they're going?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If we're really interested in doing something to cell phones which would save lives, we could totally disable them when they reach a speed of 5 miles per hour. At least half of the vehicles I see every morning, the driver has a phone stuck in front of their face. Really, they can't wait until they get where they're going?
    I have seen applications that will disable phones like you mentioned. However, it might not be available to customers using some older phones due to the version of the installed OS. Some applications require newer OS updates/version and built in hardware/features. For instance, some phones may not have the required GPS features/hardware.

While it could be mandated that such a feature could be installed on all newer phones, not likely to see it happen right away. Think about how long it took to mandate seat belts to be installed in all new cars.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 06-25-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    The problem with that as well.... how would they know you're not a passenger?

Feedback Score
    The passenger can wait also. We were talking about saving lives here.

It just amazes me that some people want technology to make their life so safe, yet they're not willing to do the simple things which will do so much more for health and safety. I mean, most people eat fast food or Mexican or Chinese food regularly, sit on the couch for hours, don't exercise, smoke, drink alcohol, etc. yet are worried about some freak accident at the beach happening where they don't have cell service. There are so many things we can do for ourselves to lengthen and strengthen our life. JMO

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The passenger can wait also. We were talking about saving lives here.

It just amazes me that some people want technology to make their life so safe, yet they're not willing to do the simple things which will do so much more for health and safety. I mean, most people eat fast food or Mexican or Chinese food regularly, sit on the couch for hours, don't exercise, smoke, drink alcohol, etc. yet are worried about some freak accident at the beach happening where they don't have cell service. There are so many things we can do for ourselves to lengthen and strengthen our life. JMO
    No as a passenger I will not wait to use my phone since I have a right to use my property when I am a passanger of a moving vehicle. I am for civil and criminal peniltys for distracted drivers but I am against software that takes away my right to use my property in a vehicle I am not driving.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast