Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65

Thread: Verizon Visa Card

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    33
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon Visa Card

    Is this a good deal? Particularly compared to AppleCard it does seem a bit better but can only be used for Verizon service/products. Thoughts?




    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,414
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    it does seem a bit better but can only be used for Verizon service/products. Thoughts?
    The most important factor is what is your Annual Percentage Rate (APR) and not as much what rebates you get annually. Another factor is the spending limit you are approved for. As the advertisement you pasted, the card offers rebates for grocery store, gas purchases, dining, purchases from Verizon and 1% on all other purchases.

    I am not certain why you said it could only be used for Verizon purchases. If you think you might be interested, call the bank that provides the card to Verizon.

    As to the credit limit, I would never apply for a credit card that charges me 20% or more APR when I have an "excellent" credit (FICO) score (their words/rating, not mine). I have turned down more than one credit card offer for that very reason. Make sure you know all the facts before making a commitment.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,124
    Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    APR is irrelevant if one makes payments in full. I think the benefits are more important than the APR. Also, there isn't a commitment with credit cards. You're free to cancel or stop using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    The most important factor is what is your Annual Percentage Rate (APR) and not as much what rebates you get annually. Another factor is the spending limit you are approved for. As the advertisement you pasted, the card offers rebates for grocery store, gas purchases, dining, purchases from Verizon and 1% on all other purchases.

    I am not certain why you said it could only be used for Verizon purchases. If you think you might be interested, call the bank that provides the card to Verizon.

    As to the credit limit, I would never apply for a credit card that charges me 20% or more APR when I have an "excellent" credit (FICO) score (their words/rating, not mine). I have turned down more than one credit card offer for that very reason. Make sure you know all the facts before making a commitment.
    Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,414
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    While I almost always look for offers for interest free payments for 6-12 months, I prefer having a lower interest rate on my cards just in case. Many folks don't have that option and wind up carrying a balance for many months or years and that is my point. For many the APR is very important thus my point.

    Your statement
    APR is irrelevant if one makes payments in full
    reinforces that. You other points are merely secondary for most consumers. If you have a balance on a credit card, you don't simply cancel the card and it all goes away.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    33
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post

    I am not certain why you said it could only be used for Verizon purchases. If you think you might be interested, call the bank that provides the card to Verizon.
    That’s the way the card works. The rewards are in “Verizon dollars” which can be spent only at Verizon (including monthly bill).



    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,414
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    My error, I thought it earned regular rewards like most modern "rebate" credit cards. I didn't realize you could only use those rewards on Verizon services/equipment and accessories/monthly billing. IMHO, don't bother.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    136
    Feedback Score
    0
    I might get it. At this point I am on the fence. The card earns 2% back on Verizon purchases, which is frankly pathetic, since there are already cards like the Citi Double Cash which have no annual fee and allow you to earn 2% actual cash back on all purchases.

    If I put any spend at all on the card, it'll be strictly to get 4% back on gas and groceries. I already have a card that earns 3% on gas, so I am debating whether it'll be worth getting another credit card to get 4%.

    It doesn't really matter to be that all rewards earned are only applicable for Verizon, since I can use the credits toward my monthly bill.

    The one thing that may cause me to pull the trigger is:

    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...3e1a053058d9b5

    Per the FAQ:

    If you were already a Verizon Up member before opening a Verizon Visa Card account, you will continue to get all of the Verizon Up rewards including Monthly rewards, Bonus Rewards and access to claim Super Tickets. However, your Device Dollars convert to Verizon Dollars (e.g., if you have $50 Device Dollars in your bank, those become $50 Verizon Dollars.)

    Verizon Dollars can only be earned by a Verizon Visa Card holder through card spend and/or Verizon Up membership rewards.

    Device Dollars cannot be earned by a Verizon Visa Card holder.

    I have a couple grandfathered plans and am planning to stick with Verizon going forward. Some of the Verizon Up rewards are junk, but other times I've gotten a $3 Amazon Gift Card or $5 Visa Gift Card.

    I have 2 lines. 1 line on the primary account and another on a sub account, so I can get 2 Verizon Up rewards per month. FYI, I did this way before the rewards program started because I just wanted to keep the billing for each line completely separate.
    I never choose the device dollar rewards (normally around $5), since I always like to bring my own device.

    However, if these $5 Verizon device dollar rewards will suddenly change into $5 Verizon dollars, they become much more valuable, since $5 off my Verizon bill is much better than a $3 Amazon or Uber Gift Card.

    My current grandfathered plans don't include any discounts with AUTOPAY, but if you are currently getting an AUTOPAY DISCOUNT, Verizon typically makes credit cards ineligible and using a credit card will potentially remove your Autopay discount.

    The Verizon credit card will allow you to keep your autopay discount even when paying with the Verizon Credit card and you'll also be able to earn rewards on that spend, so that could also be beneficial to certain people.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    248
    Feedback Score
    0
    Synchrony bank likes me for some reason. Wish the rewards could be in the form of cash back but it’s understandable since it’s a specific type of rewards card

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,222
    Feedback Score
    0
    more info about the Verizon visa card - https://www.verizon.com/about/news/i...izon-visa-card

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    170
    Device(s)
    Samsung S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    The most important factor is what is your Annual Percentage Rate (APR) and not as much what rebates you get annually. Another factor is the spending limit you are approved for. As the advertisement you pasted, the card offers rebates for grocery store, gas purchases, dining, purchases from Verizon and 1% on all other purchases.

    I am not certain why you said it could only be used for Verizon purchases. If you think you might be interested, call the bank that provides the card to Verizon.

    As to the credit limit, I would never apply for a credit card that charges me 20% or more APR when I have an "excellent" credit (FICO) score (their words/rating, not mine). I have turned down more than one credit card offer for that very reason. Make sure you know all the facts before making a commitment.
    Anyone who does not pay their credit card bill in full each month should be much more concerned about the interest rate than in any rewards they get for making purchases. Since i do pay in full every month, I could care less what the APR is since i will never pay it.

    Personally, i think this card is great since it allows me to get 2% back on my VZW bill and keep the $40 autopay discount that I currently do not get unless I have autopay set to my checking account. While 2% is OK, I could get a 5% rebate if i could charge it to my US Bank Cash+ Visa card.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    170
    Device(s)
    Samsung S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    However, if these $5 Verizon device dollar rewards will suddenly change into $5 Verizon dollars, they become much more valuable, since $5 off my Verizon bill is much better than a $3 Amazon or Uber Gift Card.

    My current grandfathered plans don't include any discounts with AUTOPAY, but if you are currently getting an AUTOPAY DISCOUNT, Verizon typically makes credit cards ineligible and using a credit card will potentially remove your Autopay discount.

    The Verizon credit card will allow you to keep your autopay discount even when paying with the Verizon Credit card and you'll also be able to earn rewards on that spend, so that could also be beneficial to certain people.
    So I applied and was approved for the card and noticed that my $60 of banked Device Dollars had turned into Verizon Dollars. The site asked if i wanted to apply them to my account but I didn't since my balance is zero (autopay was processed last week). I have been getting $10 in DD each month for linking my 100mb FiOS account and unlimited VZW account. I can't quite figure out whether I will continue to get these as Verizon Dollars or if it stops. But if I do, then it becomes an additional $10 monthly discount on my bill instead of device dollars (which I didn't even manage to use when I got a new phone a few months ago, only had $30 so it wasn't a big deal). And as you said, if you can take $5 DD as the monthly Up reward and have them be an account discount as well, even better.

    My bill is going to be closing in a week or so. It will be interesting to see if I get the usual $10 credited to the Verizon Dollars account.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    170
    Device(s)
    Samsung S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    My error, I thought it earned regular rewards like most modern "rebate" credit cards. I didn't realize you could only use those rewards on Verizon services/equipment and accessories/monthly billing. IMHO, don't bother.
    I'm going to be paying my Verizon bill with it monthly since it will allow me to get 2% back and still keep the autopay discount. That means I'll be able to apply any rewards I earn to the following month's bill. So I don't see any problem with my only being able to use the rewards with Verizon.

    Now, if I were not on a plan that required me to have autopay associated with a checking account (until now), I would be paying with a different credit card and getting a higher rebate. In that case, I probably wouldn't bother with this card.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    90
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    The most important factor is what is your Annual Percentage Rate (APR) and not as much what rebates you get annually. Another factor is the spending limit you are approved for. As the advertisement you pasted, the card offers rebates for grocery store, gas purchases, dining, purchases from Verizon and 1% on all other purchases.

    I am not certain why you said it could only be used for Verizon purchases. If you think you might be interested, call the bank that provides the card to Verizon.

    As to the credit limit, I would never apply for a credit card that charges me 20% or more APR when I have an "excellent" credit (FICO) score (their words/rating, not mine). I have turned down more than one credit card offer for that very reason. Make sure you know all the facts before making a commitment.
    Spoken by someone who has no business having a credit card.

    APR is irrelevant. I have cards at 13% and cards at 29%. Guess how much interest I’ve paid on any of my cards?


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,414
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Excuse me ??? My FICO scores are above 800 and you say I have no business having a credit card. I pay my credit cards on time and in full before I get charged interest.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    136
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hoping Verizon doesn't drag their feet on handing out my $1000 Verizon dollars for being one of the early applicants.
    I'm planning to put $500 toward a new phone, use $100 to pay for Disney Plus for a year, and the remainder to cover my cell phone bill for the next 6-7 months.

    To those that doubted the value of this card, a cool grand is pretty good for a signup bonus......

    So realistically, I'll be happy of the bonus is $75

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Verizon Visa Card
    By ernie617 in forum Verizon Prepaid/Visible
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2020, 09:20 PM
  2. OT: 5% rewards paying your Verizon bill with US Bank VISA card
    By taoman in forum VZW Rants/Raves/Kudos
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM
  3. iPAQ drivers for Verizon PC5220 card
    By ooberus in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 05:44 PM
  4. My Visa Card got jacked!
    By phredog in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-15-2003, 06:42 AM
  5. Airprime/Verizon PC3220 card
    By vgill in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2003, 06:53 PM

Bookmarks