Thread: WARNING: Google Voice numbers that are ported out are being spoofed.

Feedback Score

WARNING: Google Voice numbers that are ported out are being spoofed.

I've ported out 3 Google Voice numbers over to T-Mobile since June 1st 2020. Two of those numbers were spoofed soon after the process. If you're not familiar with that then I'll explain. You'll start getting response texts and phone calls from people you never called or texted because someone is mimicking your number to show as their caller ID to spam and scam unwitting victims. I suspect that scammers are monitoring Google Voice numbers being given out then processing them into their devious and parasitic practice. One of the victims told me that they're getting robocalls offering health insurance from my number. The only remedy is to call your carrier and they will change your number and report it to the FCC.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XARLON View Post
    I've ported out 3 Google Voice numbers over to T-Mobile since June 1st 2020. Two of those numbers were spoofed soon after the process. If you're not familiar with that then I'll explain. You'll start getting response texts and phone calls from people you never called or texted because someone is mimicking your number to show as their caller ID to spam and scam unwitting victims. I suspect that scammers are monitoring Google Voice numbers being given out then processing them into their devious and parasitic practice. One of the victims told me that they're getting robocalls offering health insurance from my number. The only remedy is to call your carrier and they will change your number and report it to the FCC.
    This is nothing new... We port numbers into our service all the time and see this regularly. I think it's related to the broadcast ownership change getting monitored and the results spoofed. It's been an ongoing issue for some time and it doesn't matter what carrier they come from.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Google Pixel 3a XL (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Nokia 6.1 (AT&T), Huawei P20

Feedback Score
    That's good to know. So any number being ported from anywhere is subject to spoofing. I know scammers are out in full force these days so it makes sense. It just seemed strange that it happened to me twice in 2.5 weeks from the same source.

Feedback Score
    I had some really good numbers with Google. Both of the last 4 numbers had repeating digits. Do you know if those numbers are ever released back into the population or does the FCC ban them for life?

Feedback Score
    I've asked mods to delete this thread since it's industry wide. It would be unfair to single out Google.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XARLON View Post
    I had some really good numbers with Google. Both of the last 4 numbers had repeating digits. Do you know if those numbers are ever released back into the population or does the FCC ban them for life?
    Carriers own the numbers, their reuse policy can vary, but numbers are rarely ever "returned".

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thread closed due to OP's request. Information in the thread could be useful for archival purposes.
    Just another day in paradise.....