Thread: FreedomPop free plan minimum usage

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

FreedomPop free plan minimum usage

Is there a minimum usage required for FreedomPop's free plans? Even when a credit card is on the account and existing credit balance?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thamster View Post
    Is there a minimum usage required for FreedomPop's free plans? Even when a credit card is on the account and existing credit balance?
    Yes, five outgoing calls of at least a minute or 5 MB data use a month. I you don't they will suspend your account without warning. It's easy to reactivate by going to the OLAM and clicking the reactivate button.

[Edit] I am not absolutely sure that the calls have to be outgoing or at least a minute in duration to satisfy the minimum use requirement. Maybe someone else remembers.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 06-23-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Feedback Score
    An awkward thing about the usage requirement is that it applies to any 30-day running period, not the billing month. You can usually count on a day or 2 of slack.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop; Formerly Truphone, Google Fi, T-Mo Prepaid Gold Reward
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yes, five outgoing calls of at least a minute or 5 MB data use a month. I you don't they will suspend your account without warning. It's easy to reactivate by going to the OLAM and clicking the reactivate button.

[Edit] I am not absolutely sure that the calls have to be outgoing or at least a minute in duration to satisfy the minimum use requirement. Maybe someone else remembers.
    This may be their policy, but it’s not automatically enforced. I have a VOIP line and data line and rarely meet the minimums you cite, yet only sporadically encounter the dormant account issue, and I do check monthly to renew my $5 balance on each.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Feedback Score
    It seems like no policy at FreedomPop is applied uniformly, so I'm sure that some accounts never get hibernated for non-usage.
    We have 8 separate accounts, 2 data-only & the rest voice+data. Original activation dates were over maybe a 2 year period from oldest to newest. I keep a schedule to remind me to use each one regularly, although I sometimes forget.

I log instances of hibernation, but don't track all possible usage 'infractions'. Of the 8 lines, 6 have been hibernated at some point during 2020, with me realizing they were hibernated between 2 days after 8 days after exceeding a 30-day period. (It might have been quicker than that-- it's just when I realized it.) Both voice+data and data-only lines have been hibernated.

It's great that some folks don't seem to have this happen to their lines. If one wants to assume their lines won't get hibernated, it's best to test it during a period when you won't be inconvenienced if it doesn't work when you need it to.

In my experience, the requirement is 'either' data usage or calls. I only have the FreedomPop Messaging app loaded on one phone, so I do not regularly make calls.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    OP here. I was told by CS that I will need to use 5 MB data AND 5 min voice to keep line active. Not sure that's correct.

"To ensure it remains in good standing, please be sure to connect your device at least once a month and use a minimum of 5 MBs and make 5 calls."

Feedback Score
    OP here. I was told by CS that I will need to use 5 MB data AND 5 min voice to keep line active. Not sure that's correct.

"To ensure it remains in good standing, please be sure to connect your device at least once a month and use a minimum of 5 MBs and make 5 calls."
    Unless my FP free plans are somehow grandfathered, which I doubt, that should be "OR". I have NEVER used the VoIP minutes nor installed the FP Messaging app on ANY of my free FP accounts, and if I use ≥ 5MB/mo of data, the accounts remain awake / active.

Feedback Score

My accounts are several years old. I don't know if they have changed the requirement.

When one of my accounts first got suspended a couple of years ago I contacted customer support on Twitter. At that time they said make five calls OR use five MB data. That has been working for me without ever making calls with their app or even having the app installed.

I suspect the CS rep you contacted misspoke or doesn't know exactly.

5 MB a month means more like in a rolling 30 day period, i.e., 5 MB at the beginning of one month and 5 MB at the end of the next month probably won't keep you from getting suspended. I don't see much consistency in when they actually suspend accounts. It seems more like they do an occasional batch purge.

I use a Keep note for a weekly routine to use ~2 MB. I very rarely use any of them, but the one in my tablet I want to be ready to use on the spur of the moment for important/urgent/emergency things and not have to go through reactivating it.

Mostly I don't know why I bother keeping the others active for 200 MB other than a source of numbers that I could port.