Thread: YouTube Live Streaming over Hotspot

Feedback Score

YouTube Live Streaming over Hotspot

Has anyone tried to live stream to YouTube using the hotspot on your phone through Cricket?

I can get decent enough upload speeds when I hotspot - usually between 5 and 7mbps, not great, but should be enough to stream.

OBS shows my uplink speed to both YouTube streaming servers at around 500kbps. One time I was able to do a live stream, I had a rather consistent 3mbps, but then a subsequent attempt and many subsequent attempts after that, never reached above 1.4mbps (and that happened once, usually it's between 0 and 500kbps).

I was testing this out thinking that a Cricket Wireless 20GB or 40GB data only plan might work for this project. But now I'm having doubts about that.

The best conclusion I can come up with is that Cricket is selectively restricting speeds to YouTube live streaming. And if that's the case, I don't know if a dedicated hotspot device and plan would really help. Wondering if anyone else has seen the same symptoms.

Feedback Score
    see here - https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...-and-streaming you might check the stream saver setting on your phone.

Feedback Score
    I do have Stream Saver turned off on my line. Although, I wasn't exactly clear if that applied just to viewing (downloading) stream or if it also applied to sending (uploading) a live stream.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post
    Has anyone tried to live stream to YouTube using the hotspot on your phone through Cricket?

I can get decent enough upload speeds when I hotspot - usually between 5 and 7mbps, not great, but should be enough to stream.

OBS shows my uplink speed to both YouTube streaming servers at around 500kbps. One time I was able to do a live stream, I had a rather consistent 3mbps, but then a subsequent attempt and many subsequent attempts after that, never reached above 1.4mbps (and that happened once, usually it's between 0 and 500kbps).

I was testing this out thinking that a Cricket Wireless 20GB or 40GB data only plan might work for this project. But now I'm having doubts about that.

The best conclusion I can come up with is that Cricket is selectively restricting speeds to YouTube live streaming. And if that's the case, I don't know if a dedicated hotspot device and plan would really help. Wondering if anyone else has seen the same symptoms.
    If Cricket/AT&T is restricting speed to some sites, and I don't know if they do, try using a VPN. With a VPN they won't know what site you are connecting to. The downside is that VPNs can reduce your data thoughput speed.

That said, AT&T data speed has been suffering during this pandemic. I just tried my AT&T pospaid hotspot and got 12.5 Mbps down and 0.45 up with 77 ms jitter. That wouldn't cut it to stream out since that uploads data. Other days a few weeks ago I was only getting 1.5 Mbps down.

Good luck

[Edit] Out of curiosity I just ran another speed test. 2.3 down, 3.33 up with 17 ms jitter. AT&T has been an inconsistent mess during the pandemic. I would not expect that kind of variability to work well for live streaming.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 06-24-2020 at 01:46 PM.

Feedback Score
    Good thought about the VPN. I tried that and the speeds didn't improve, that kind of puts a nail in the coffin about it being a specific site restriction.

Just sucks that the area where I'm needing this has 0 Internet options. The only options are cellular or satellite. I don't know if AT&T would be better than Cricket or if something like Visible or something Verizon would work. It can be expensive to buy the necessary equipment only to find that it doesn't give a stable enough signal.

Feedback Score
    What about asking people what works for them?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    Well, by and large Cricket works fine for me.

It's one thing to load up a weather map at the location, it's another to consistently upload a stream for 30 to 60 minutes.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To the OP as mentioned above, assuming your vpn is properly configured (so all net traffic passes through it, not just intranet), att should have no idea what your traffic is. Throttling should not be imposed.

What vpn did you use?

Feedback Score
    It was a custom OpenVPN server. I use these a lot. I can assure you that it was routing traffic through the VPN.

At this point I really don't think it was any type of "net-neutrality" issue, but just poor performance from the connecting cell tower.

The other option I considered was to create my own RTMP server and then push the flow coming into that RTMP server out to YouTube. If the connection to YouTube is slow but the connection to a custom RTMP server is not, then that would seem to indicate that Cricket or AT&T is restricting connections to the YouTube ingest servers. But I'm now more inclined to believe it's a "tower" issue (or at least something beyond my control).

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok Sounds att/cricket service is just poor in your area. Is it possible a newer device would use other bands in your area that may offer better performane?