Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dummy Questions

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Dummy Questions

For fear of sounding like the dummy I am, I wanted to ask dummy Questions.

(1) What is the limit on ACTIVE IN SERVICE TracFones a person can have?

(2) Comment on 32gb vs 16gb phones. I have a 32gb phone and it says 17.37gb in use, more than the 16gb total internal storage of my other phones/tablet. I only have the same apps on the 32gb phone I've installed on my 16gb rigs. I uninstalled anything I wouldn't use on the 32gb and 16gb phones. My 16gb phones still have at least 5-7gb left available with these basic apps installed. I'm wondering if the arrival of the lower priced 32gb phones is just so they can handle an increase in app size and OS size. I see no reason the 32gb phone should be using 17.37gb, enough to eat a 16gb phone with room to spare.

(3) Will a hard reset that returns a phone to factory settings reduce bloat from all the updates, by letting me start over again installing the apps I want (& uninstalling or disabling the deadwood).

(4) I like the LG knock on feature that lets me tap to wake the phone instead of pressing the power button. Is there an app that lets me add this feature to all phones?

(5) Is there any way to use a phone without Google? Say I sign in and install all the Google Play apps I want, like an alternate browser, email other than Google, Textra, keyboard other than Gboard, yadda yadda, I could use the apps without being signed into Google? And would that reduce app bloat?

Okay, that's it for now. Thanks!

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Regarding (5), I removed the Google account on my G7 as a test, and the apps that are already installed seem to be unaffected. However, they disappear from the Play Store app and all that remains are a few Google utilities. So you wouldn't be able to update your apps although you can still use them. Maybe they lose some functionality, don't know. They won't update unless they can contact the Google Play mothership I guess. Try this out for yourself. I put the Google account back in and no harm done that I can tell.

(3) does what it says. Like when you wipe the phone to sell it.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    (1) What is the limit on ACTIVE IN SERVICE TracFones a person can have?
    If you're asking what the max allowed for service end date is, someone I know have a phone with end date in 2039. Someone on Turk Forums has it out to 2050.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Regarding (5), I removed the Google account on my G7 as a test, and the apps that are already installed seem to be unaffected. However, they disappear from the Play Store app and all that remains are a few Google utilities. So you wouldn't be able to update your apps although you can still use them. Maybe they lose some functionality, don't know. They won't update unless they can contact the Google Play mothership I guess. Try this out for yourself. I put the Google account back in and no harm done that I can tell.

(3) does what it says. Like when you wipe the phone to sell it.
    Thnx for the info, Lisme. I think I may try it on one of my older 8gb phones before doing it to a 16gb. It meaning hard reset and no goo goo. I have a ZTE zFive in the drawer that I logged out of Google because of lack of expansion room and slow operation.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    If you're asking what the max allowed for service end date is, someone I know have a phone with end date in 2039. Someone on Turk Forums has it out to 2050.
    I meant how many active TF phones that can be in service at any one time, currently I have two active. I was wondering if they set limits on how many I can buy and put in service.

I know they limit how many a person can buy at a time in the same order (two?) from the TF website, and can opt to limit future purchases if they have too many inactivated phones. I have one never activated backup flip, otherwise my TFs have been active at various times.

The end dates for service that you mentioned are pretty healthy! In fact so healthy I would probably expire before they would.

My idea is to buy phones that come with a year's service and if I don't like them as phones, transfer the balance to another active phone. I also could buy a phone with a plan to activate it, and if I do like it, add a year's service for 49.99 to extend its airtime. I just wondered how many I'd be allowed to activate at any one time. It probably wouldn't be more than four or five active phones.

If I combined the balance of those phones, good chance they'd outlive MY usefulness!

Feedback Score
    Regarding (1), you could list a few phones in your account and then switch them out if you need to do something. The most I have ever had was four or five.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I meant how many active TF phones that can be in service at any one time, currently I have two active. I was wondering if they set limits on how many I can buy and put in service.
    I have four active phones in my account: my main phone (AT&T), my backup phone (Verizon), my wife's phone (T-mo), and an older friend's phone that I manage. I think gmanix manages phones for other people and has many in his account.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Regarding (1), you could list a few phones in your account and then switch them out if you need to do something. The most I have ever had was four or five.
    Four or five is pretty respectable, that's what I'm estimating I'll end up with if I get the phones I'm planning on.

Thnx, Lisme.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I have four active phones in my account: my main phone (AT&T), my backup phone (Verizon), my wife's phone (T-mo), and an older friend's phone that I manage. I think gmanix manages phones for other people and has many in his account.
    Thnx, hpham. I think 4-5 should do it for me.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    In the past, I have had six active phones in my account.
    I also like the knock feature on my LG, but I much prefer the one button nav feature found on my Moto E4 and G6 (only on models with the fingerprint sensor on the front). It removes/replaces the three on-screen navigation icons, and allows one touch sleep/wake.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    In the past, I have had six active phones in my account.
    I also like the knock feature on my LG, but I much prefer the one button nav feature found on my Moto E4 and G6 (only on models with the fingerprint sensor on the front). It removes/replaces the three on-screen navigation icons, and allows one touch sleep/wake.
    I've never had a phone with the one button nav feature but if I get a g6 I guess I'll find out. My guess is that the use of the one button navigation is optional, can use the standard three button system if I don't feel comfortable with the one.

The way I browse phones i just may have six active by next year. Possibly 4 within a few months.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It is easy to switch back and forth between the two.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    It is easy to switch back and forth between the two.
    Well, if the g6 doesn't sell out by payday I might be ordering one. The eBay page says it's "almost gone." The one with year's service @ 69.99 seems the best deal. Not touching the refurb. If it went down to what the Amazon one was priced at, $35, maybe.

The g6 is (last I checked, today) 69.99 new online at Walmart. Free shipping but doesn't come with a year's service.

I suspect I will use the 3 button navigation because I'm a stodgy soul, but who knows, it might be possible to teach an old dog a new trick or two.

Sent from my LG-K371 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I'm soon to have 4 active TracFones in my account and planning to buy two more atleast before Christmas. Maybe three...

Time to trade out my old camera bag for a more convenient cell transporter. I passed on wheeled luggage.

Name:  Image_cellbag1.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  49.9 KB

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm soon to have 4 active TracFones in my account and planning to buy two more atleast before Christmas. Maybe three...

Time to trade out my old camera bag for a more convenient cell transporter.
    While I have up to 3 active phones (TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp Mobile) in my name, I usually carry only the main one. I'll carry two on long trips just to have a backup in case the main phone gets lost/stolen, damaged, or has no service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast