Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Possible Teltik Shutdown. What prepid should I try next?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    409
    Device(s)
    Sprint iPhone 8 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Teltik
    Feedback Score
    0

    Possible Teltik Shutdown. What prepid should I try next?

    I am researching right now for a replacement. I need my bill to be less than $40 a month and need at least 5 GB of data (Would prefer more).

    I LOVE Teltik. I have used them for about 2 years. In the past 10 years I have used many companies. Teltik has been the best prepaid service I have ever used with really great features and customer service. I currently have the $33.50 a month plan. I get 6 GB of data that rolls over. Because of pandemic I have been mostly on WiFi and have 26 GB of data each month. Free app that blocks spam calls and shows caller ID of everyone. International use. T-Mobile Tuesday access.

    I started researching and here are the alternatives I have found so far. If anyone could chime in with alternatives I may have missed or pros/cons of the ones I have listed please do. It would be much appreciated.

    - T-Mobile connect: $25 plus taxes and fees for 5 GB (capped) and no T-Mobile Tuesday.

    - Sprint Kickstart $35 plus taxes and fees for unlimited. Their taxes and fees changed for me all the time when I had them and they were ridiculous. Awful customer service. No free stuff.

    - Mint: You have to prepay a minimum of 3 months ahead of time. Not interested.

    - Verizon Prepaid: $40 ($35 with auto-pay) plus taxes and fees for 5 GB. There is a promo that states you get an additional $5 off a month after being with them for 3 months and $10 off after 9 months. So it seems your plan could be as low as $25. No free stuff.

    - Visible: $40 unlimited everything. $25 for first month. $100 virtual Mastercard after 2nd month payment with port in. It looks like speeds are capped. Deprioritized. Party Pay seems interesting (Your bill could be as low as $25.). No customer service number which could be really bad if you have no access to internet. Free extremely low end Android phone if you swap a phone that is not compatible. No monthly free stuff.

    - Straight Talk $34 with auto-pay for 5 GB. I have not used them for over 5 years, but they used to have abysmal customer service. Deprioritization. No free stuff.

    - Boom Mobile: The website looks bootleg as hell. I skipped researching further.

    - Total Wireless: $33.20 after auto-pay for 5 GB highspeed/unlimited. Promo for 25% off 1st month. No free stuff.

    - Red Pocket: $30 for 8 GB high speed/unlimited. No free stuff.


    Thanks for your help.


    Edit 1: Visible is LTE only. Which is a huge downside.
    Last edited by batman420; 06-28-2020 at 02:52 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    409
    Device(s)
    Sprint iPhone 8 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Teltik
    Feedback Score
    0
    I am sure they are only allowed to tell customers so much. This is what Teltik told me when I mentioned possibly porting out because of Venn failing and Teltik not allowing new activations. "I totally understand. Teltik is fine. Vennmobile is fairly new and is pretty much affected with the merger. We are trying to replenish our inventory. The pandemic is giving us a hard time to process paperworks. It should be back soon though."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,519
    Feedback Score
    0
    lol i had no idea "free stuff" like an occasional taco or whatever would be such a strong pull. If you're really going to use "no free stuff" as the be all and end all of determining if it is worth you being their customer... well good luck

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    409
    Device(s)
    Sprint iPhone 8 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Teltik
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    lol i had no idea "free stuff" like an occasional taco or whatever would be such a strong pull. If you're really going to use "no free stuff" as the be all and end all of determining if it is worth you being their customer... well good luck
    I am not sure what country you are in, but here in the US there's something called COVID-19 going around. A lot of us have been left unemployed for months. Anything free and extra really helps. Thanks for your thoughtful/helpful input.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,622
    Feedback Score
    0
    Ultra Mobile has a 5GB plan for $29 a month and a 15GB plan for $39. It comes with some International calling every month if that's your thing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,775
    Feedback Score
    0
    Does OP have a phone that will work on all 4/3 Carriers? Otherwise the list of destinations can be slashed.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,519
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by batman420 View Post
    I am not sure what country you are in, but here in the US there's something called COVID-19 going around. A lot of us have been left unemployed for months. Anything free and extra really helps. Thanks for your thoughtful/helpful input.
    There is no such thing as "free" you are just paying for it some other way.
    But this logic of "I'm going to pass on a service that is cheaper because it doesn't have free stuff" is kind of silly.
    With whatever you are saving by going to a less expensive service you could buy your taco or whatever tmobile tosses out every once in a while. It reminds me of how people used to want those "free" iphones but got themselves locked into 2 year contracts. But hey! as long as they got their "free" iphone they were happy, and just glossed over how much their bill was each month.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,669
    Feedback Score
    0
    ALL voice service on the Vzw network will be VoLTE only after 12/31/20. So that seems like a silly reason to skip Visible.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    409
    Device(s)
    Sprint iPhone 8 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Teltik
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Does OP have a phone that will work on all 4/3 Carriers? Otherwise the list of destinations can be slashed.
    I have an unlocked Sprint iPhone 8 so it works on all carriers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    409
    Device(s)
    Sprint iPhone 8 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Teltik
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    There is no such thing as "free" you are just paying for it some other way.
    But this logic of "I'm going to pass on a service that is cheaper because it doesn't have free stuff" is kind of silly.
    With whatever you are saving by going to a less expensive service you could buy your taco or whatever tmobile tosses out every once in a while. It reminds me of how people used to want those "free" iphones but got themselves locked into 2 year contracts. But hey! as long as they got their "free" iphone they were happy, and just glossed over how much their bill was each month.
    Have you heard of Teltik? I currently pay $33.50 for 6 GB of data with rollover (I currently have 20 GB saved up and start with 26 GB each month.). I get international usage in/out of country. I get a spam blocking app. I get T-Mobile Tuesday access. I get amazing customer service. I get $10 for every person I refer. I get 1 hour of free inflight WiFi on certain airlines. I get T-Mobile Unlimited Video/Music Streaming. I get monthly invoices. I get service in Canada. I get WiFi calling. I get Hotspot use. There is good T-Mobile coverage in my area. I am getting everything I need and more. What other way am I "paying for it'?

    Edit: Also the most recent T-Mobile Tuesday offerings were much better than a "free taco". I got .25 cents off a gallon at Shell, 50 Starbucks points, a free fanny pack, 3 months of Postmates Unlimited, and 6 months of free Telemedicine.
    Last edited by batman420; 06-29-2020 at 11:19 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    409
    Device(s)
    Sprint iPhone 8 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Teltik
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    ALL voice service on the Vzw network will be VoLTE only after 12/31/20. So that seems like a silly reason to skip Visible.
    Maybe I misunderstood what others were saying. I thought this means if you travel/live in an area where only 3G/4G is available you would not be able to use your phone?
    I would be interested in trying visible for $35-25 a month with a party, but the friends I would like to invite live in rural areas and often revert back to 3G/4G at home. I would prefer not to rely on strangers in a party.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,669
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by batman420 View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood what others were saying. I thought this means if you travel/live in an area where only 3G/4G is available you would not be able to use your phone?
    I would be interested in trying visible for $35-25 a month with a party, but the friends I would like to invite live in rural areas and often revert back to 3G/4G at home. I would prefer not to rely on strangers in a party.
    Maybe for a while if currently in a fringe area. But all Vzw areas are reportedly in the process being converted to VoLTE only.

    But there's no need to involve anybody that you know to get the $25/mo TOTAL cost, Just join a random group. All billing is separate.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,669
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by batman420 View Post
    Have you heard of Teltik? I currently pay $33.50 for 6 GB of data with rollover (I currently have 20 GB saved up and start with 26 GB each month.). I get international usage in/out of country. I get a spam blocking app. I get T-Mobile Tuesday access. I get amazing customer service. I get $10 for every person I refer. I get 1 hour of free inflight WiFi on certain airlines. I get T-Mobile Unlimited Video/Music Streaming. I get monthly invoices. I get service in Canada. I get WiFi calling. I get Hotspot use. There is good T-Mobile coverage in my area. I am getting everything I need and more. What other way am I "paying for it'?
    It seems disingenuous to suggest Teltik, a company that isn't currently accepting new customers, and whose future is currently in question due to the apparent immanent failure of the related Venn Mobile service, that suddenly cut off service to all their customers with no warning!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    409
    Device(s)
    Sprint iPhone 8 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Teltik
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Maybe for a while if currently in a fringe area. But all Vzw areas are reportedly in the process being converted to VoLTE only.

    But there's no need to involve anybody that you know to get the $25/mo TOTAL cost, Just join a random group. All billing is separate.
    So as of next year they would have LTE where they used to only have 3G/4G?

    I see lots of people enjoying the parties and lots of people having issues with people leaving their party and being left with a higher bill. I rather rely on friends who consistently pay their $70+ a month Verizon bill. I know for sure they could pay $25.

    Edit: They not the

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    409
    Device(s)
    Sprint iPhone 8 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Teltik
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    It seems disingenuous to suggest Teltik, a company that isn't currently accepting new customers, and whose future is currently in question due to the apparent immanent failure of the related Venn Mobile service, that suddenly cut off service to all their customers with no warning!
    I am not suggesting them...I am the OP. I have Teltik. I love Teltik. This guy is saying that choosing a plan with freebies comes with great sacrifice. I was telling him about how great Teltik has been for a low price with lots of extras that no one else offers.

    Unfortunately with prepaid we all risk the company getting closed down or screwing us somehow. I have had issues with Straight Talk, Virgin, Tracfone, and a few others over the years. We are all in here to save money and that often has risks when it comes to prepaid cell service.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 01:25 PM
  2. What phone should I get next?
    By Bumpon10s in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 11:39 AM
  3. What phone should i pick next?
    By ceanth in forum Samsung
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 02:34 PM
  4. Cellphone amateur...what cell should i get next?
    By Ericsson_lover in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-24-2002, 02:56 AM
  5. What phone should I get next?
    By Call Me in forum Motorola
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-15-2002, 08:04 PM

Bookmarks