Thread: Current T-Mobile customer needs some info for Verizon

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question Current T-Mobile customer needs some info for Verizon

Hi! I have been with T-Mobile for the past 8 years but was considering swapping to Verizon. I have had Sprint (Horrible) and AT&T (hate them!) and was curious about coverage and LTE speeds here in South Texas. I live in San Antonio so I expect great coverage/speeds here but I travel down to Nixon/Smiley area a lot and wanted to know how things are in remote rural areas. I know coverage maps can be misleading. Currently Verizon offered 4 lines (with autopay) for $170. I will be bring my unlocked iPhones over (11 pro max & 2 XR's) & a Moto G7. According to their website I will get 2 $300 rebates and 2 $250 rebates for the Unlimited plans I selected for activating online. This plan is only about $20 more than I'm paying now but have less coverage in rural areas. I just wanted to see if anyone has real world experience using Verizon in this area on Texas.

Feedback Score
    AT&T has really good coverage in Texas. Even better with FirstNet coming online. Faster speeds, too. Why do you hate them?

Verizon may have some new coverage holes in rural areas when CDMA is shutdown later this year.

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSTIN3:16 View Post
    Hi! I have been with T-Mobile for the past 8 years but was considering swapping to Verizon. I have had Sprint (Horrible) and AT&T (hate them!) and was curious about coverage and LTE speeds here in South Texas. I live in San Antonio so I expect great coverage/speeds here but I travel down to Nixon/Smiley area a lot and wanted to know how things are in remote rural areas. I know coverage maps can be misleading. Currently Verizon offered 4 lines (with autopay) for $170. I will be bring my unlocked iPhones over (11 pro max & 2 XR's) & a Moto G7. According to their website I will get 2 $300 rebates and 2 $250 rebates for the Unlimited plans I selected for activating online. This plan is only about $20 more than I'm paying now but have less coverage in rural areas. I just wanted to see if anyone has real world experience using Verizon in this area on Texas.
    Verizon lacks band 5 in that part of Texas including San Antonio an the rest of their spectrum holdings there look like dog poop. If you insist on leaving T-Mobile you'd be better off with at&t.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Verizon lacks band 5 in that part of Texas including San Antonio an the rest of their spectrum holdings there look like dog poop. If you insist on leaving T-Mobile you'd be better off with at&t.
    Wouldn’t they reclaim the CDMA and refarm it for band 5?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Wouldn’t they reclaim the CDMA and refarm it for band 5?
    I'm saying they don't have any 850 AT ALL whether is CDMA or LTE. At&T owns both blocks. Same issue with the east cost of Florida

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    AT&T has really good coverage in Texas. Even better with FirstNet coming online. Faster speeds, too. Why do you hate them?

Verizon may have some new coverage holes in rural areas when CDMA is shutdown later this year.

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro
    I may just stick with T-Mobile then. I was an AT&T customer for 10 years (started when it was Cingular) I had bad issues with their customer service messing me up on my plan & billing, like when they took my grandfathered unlimited data when I upgraded iPhones one year and refused to put it back after I had told them I wanted to keep my plan. I just canceled Directv (after 18 years) due to jacking my bill up repeatedly and charging me for NFL Sunday ticket for the past 2 years after I had canceled that package. It seemed like every month I was on the phone for hours getting things straightened out. I haven't had issues with T-Mobile except out in a few rural areas. T-Mobile customer service has been great for me. I have always heard all this talk of how Verizon is the best you can get and such so I wanted to hear from those whom have had experience. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    In areas where Verizon has spectrum they probably are the best. Most of Texas is not one of those areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I may just stick with T-Mobile then. I was an AT&T customer for 10 years (started when it was Cingular) I had bad issues with their customer service messing me up on my plan & billing, like when they took my grandfathered unlimited data when I upgraded iPhones one year and refused to put it back after I had told them I wanted to keep my plan. I just canceled Directv (after 18 years) due to jacking my bill up repeatedly and charging me for NFL Sunday ticket for the past 2 years after I had canceled that package. It seemed like every month I was on the phone for hours getting things straightened out. I haven't had issues with T-Mobile except out in a few rural areas. T-Mobile customer service has been great for me. I have always heard all this talk of how Verizon is the best you can get and such so I wanted to hear from those whom have had experience. Thanks!
    Seems like carriers like to mess with you. Sometimes it seems intentional. Other times it may be poor training or a poor computer system. And when I last was directly with ATT, any time I called in for an issue (like my iPad plan add on kept on dropping to the wrong plan) it was an opportunity to signup for DirecTV

The main benefit of postpaid is either you have many people to put on a plan, where the per line can get cheaper, or if you want to bundle an Apple Watch, which is either with a Postpaid carrier, or a couple resellers.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    I may just stick with T-Mobile then.
    Yes, stick with T-Mobile for now. Nobody else has towers near the specific area you mentioned according to Cellmapper. They have a tower right in Nixon. They also have the only tower near Shiner, which is where the historic Spoetzl Brewery is located.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    After talking with co-workers who have Verizon (they all love their Verizon service), I decided to try them out. I'll try them for a month or two and if I'm not happy I can go back to T-Mobile. T-Mobile customer service said I can have my old account back as long as I come back within 90 days. Since I'm bringing my own unlocked devices, I figure I have nothing to lose.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    A little update. I now have service in Many places I didn't with T-Mobile. In the small town of Smiley, Texas I get full bars of LTE and the speeds are 50 down & 27 up. Can't complain about that! I have yet to have 0 bars, a few small areas I'm down to 1 bar.

Feedback Score
    Really glad to hear you’re having such a great experience. ��

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Yep, they don't have band 5 (850) but they have band 13. In some areas they were formerly band 2 (1900 PCS) only, they would naturally started out by putting band 13 on the same sites. In some areas without band 5 *or* 2, formerly these were no service since those are the only 2 bands their 2G and 3G use, they've run new service based on band 13 + probably band 4 in some of these areas. A bit less spectrum to work with but it'll do the job. They've done a reasonable job of filling out some coverage holes with this.