Thread: Verizon "unlimited" plan options

Device(s)
    Pixel 3, plus everything in the junk box
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Verizon "unlimited" plan options

Trying to figure out the various verizon plans...

We currently have their discontinued "Go Unlimited" plan on six lines. "You can keep your old plan", and often the older plans are better, but it looks like not in this case? I'd be looking at the "play more" or "do more" plans... looks like the only difference is the do more has 50GB vs 25GB for play more at the same price, but play more says 720p streaming instead of 480... how do they do that? Does it mean the play is a faster data speed, or do they have some way to reduce the video bandwidth?

The play more also has apple music, which I don't care about, while the do more has a discount on a jetpack line, which I probably will want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana_ View Post
    Trying to figure out the various verizon plans...

We currently have their discontinued "Go Unlimited" plan on six lines. "You can keep your old plan", and often the older plans are better, but it looks like not in this case? I'd be looking at the "play more" or "do more" plans... looks like the only difference is the do more has 50GB vs 25GB for play more at the same price, but play more says 720p streaming instead of 480... how do they do that? Does it mean the play is a faster data speed, or do they have some way to reduce the video bandwidth?

The play more also has apple music, which I don't care about, while the do more has a discount on a jetpack line, which I probably will want.
    480p video will top out at around 1.9 Mbps and 720p will top out at around 3.8 Mbps. Go is 480p incase you didn't know and they have different video speeds on the older plans you have. Beyond and Above are both 720p

We were on Go and switched to Start sine it was exactly the same except it didn't come with hotspot but with 4 lines we save $20 a month

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    The video restrictions is done on a network level by Verizon. It determines if certain data packets are a video stream and throttles it's bandwidth to 480p-compatible speeds on accounts that only allow for 480p/SD streaming.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    We were on Go and switched to Start sine it was exactly the same except it didn't come with hotspot but with 4 lines we save $20 a month
    I've read that a lot of people get crappy speeds with Start Unlimited since Verizon can de-prioritize you from day 1 - not just after a certain amount of data usage (i.e. after 25GB on Play More). I take it you haven't experienced that? Probably depends on how congested of an area you live in as well.

I'm guessing the VAST majority of Verizon unlimited customers are on Play More unlimited (myself included).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    I've read that a lot of people get crappy speeds with Start Unlimited since Verizon can de-prioritize you from day 1 - not just after a certain amount of data usage (i.e. after 25GB on Play More). I take it you haven't experienced that? Probably depends on how congested of an area you live in as well.

I'm guessing the VAST majority of Verizon unlimited customers are on Play More unlimited (myself included).
    That depends on your area. We've bene on Start/Go for nearly 3 years now and rarely have issues. Just tested 9PM here got over 50 Mbps. Sometime during the day I might get under 10 Mbps. If I test at 3 AM I'll get over 100 Mbps easy. Gotten as high as 160 Mbps. Worst case you get Start is always slow for you then you just upgrade your plan. Here's the key though if your Start plan is being slowed that means your area is congested so even the other plans will be slower than normal since there is congestion. Which means you might want to look at another carrier anyway

Device(s)
    Pixel 3, plus everything in the junk box
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks all, hmmm, looks like Start is essentially Go without the hotspot. Based on our usage looks like switching to a mix of start and play, with one do line for the jetpack discount, makes the most sense.

Thanks Dave, that makes sense about the video streaming.