Thread: Band 30 vs Band 66 Propagation

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score

Band 30 vs Band 66 Propagation

Just curious if anyone has any insight. Given 30 and 66 are relatively close in frequency with 66 having some advantages I wonder if anyone has any real world use experience ? I'm basically hoping that when they upgrade my folks tower that currently provides band 30 at -126db to 66 that they will be able to utilize it.

I see when standing at my own home referencing cell mapper my own tower with band 30 and 66 on it. 66 always seems to be about -5 stronger.

Also any chance a booster with band 4 support would boost 66 ?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Band 4/66 works farther away at the same transmission power level because of the uplink, which is much more range-constrained than downlink; AWS uses the 1.7 GHz range for uplink and 2.1 for downlink, whereas WCS uses 2.3 for both.

Band 4 signal boosters will work for the part of Band 66 subseded by Band 4, but not the extended AWS frequencies. (Carriers now usually use MFBI to broadcast Band 4 as “Band 66.”)

The other issue with WCS/Band 30 is that its proximity to satellite services forces AT&T to transmit it at a lower power level, which further exacerbates its range challenges.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keeponkeepnon View Post
    Just curious if anyone has any insight. Given 30 and 66 are relatively close in frequency with 66 having some advantages I wonder if anyone has any real world use experience ? I'm basically hoping that when they upgrade my folks tower that currently provides band 30 at -126db to 66 that they will be able to utilize it.

I see when standing at my own home referencing cell mapper my own tower with band 30 and 66 on it. 66 always seems to be about -5 stronger.

Also any chance a booster with band 4 support would boost 66 ?

Band 66 will propagate more closely in line with band 2. If you have a good band 2 signal, you should have a decent to good band 66 signal.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    At&t also uses band 30 for their fixed 4G service so if you're in one of those area you'd be competing with people using band 30 for home internet

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    At&t also uses band 30 for their fixed 4G service so if you're in one of those area you'd be competing with people using band 30 for home internet
    I'm pretty sure in fixed wireless areas, they usually reserve the spectrum for fixed wireless users only or they'll split it up by 5 mhz. It probably depends on data traffic.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    I'm pretty sure in fixed wireless areas, they usually reserve the spectrum for fixed wireless users only or they'll split it up by 5 mhz. It probably depends on data traffic.

I've noticed that here. In areas where FW is deployed, they aren't running B30 within a certain distance from where its deployed.

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Strangely you would think it WOULD be a fixed wireless area as it is the only band 30 tower for 30 miles in all directions it is only one single cell of band 30 on a huge tower on top of a mountain that serves six towns but that one single cell of band 30 covers the section of town that basically only has access to 3/786 dsl or nothing. On cell mapper it's almost looks deliberate to cover the areas where no wireline service covers.

At the end of my folks road you can get great LOS connectivity with it and generally hit 110mbps / 30 mbps which is exceptional for the area of Southwestern New Hampshire. But alas no address I put in comes up eligible for official FW.

Can't figure out the purpose or AT&Ts thinking but they must have some reasoning for the 30 cell.

Great to hear it's similar to band 2 in propagation! Currently they only have access to band 12 as 30 wont reach them and 2 nor any other bands are currently on the tower.