Thread: Hundreds of phones - Please help!!

Feedback Score

Hundreds of phones - Please help!!

Hi - We are a reseller and receive shipments which are usually one carrier, or have a way of looking up via IMEI through various sites, tools, etc.

We recently received a bunch of LG 440g/441g and LG236C. All have the Tracfone branding on the housing. However, apparently they are a mix of Straight Talk, Tracfone and Net10, but they are not labeled. Specifically on the 236C I know this is a CDMA based product only, and the phones only have an MEID for that reason.

I've checked the menus and also attempted to activate on all 3 sites, and all 3 say the sample MEID we checked are not in the system.

Is there a way to determine which "brand" of tracfone these are for? Since all are under the same Tracfone umbrella but apparently can't work with each other, we need to find a way to tell them apart.

Do they use the same PRL? same software version? Maybe there's a distinction there? If anyone could help we would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The LG236C's are useless on activations because Verizon is enforcing the need for VoLTE for all phones, and those phone are only CDMA.

As LG 440G/441G, it is hard to tell what branding they are on because all the brands uses the same phones. They can be used with AT&T or T-Mobile based SIMs. Since they are only GSM phones, it sounds like they might be AT&T based because it was more common years ago then now.

Edit: After rereading your post, I think the phones was never prepared for activation which means they can not be activated till the MEID is prepared for activation. Normally a store or warehouse scans the barcodes to let the phone get activated, and sounds like that step was never done. It is hard to tell tho.

Edit2: You could look at the SIM numbers, and see if they was for one of the T-Mobile only based brands. If you look at the first six of the SIM, 890126 is T-Mobile and 890141 is AT&T. Tracfone's T-Mobile brands are Walmart Family Mobile and Simple Mobile.

I can't help you much more then this since it is hard to tell what branding they could be.
    Last edited by advcomp2019; 07-02-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Do they still use older non VoLTE phones in other countries? Maybe there's a market for them there if they can't be activated here.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    As advcomp2019 said, the LG236C is not eligible for new activations. Existing activations will stop working when CDMA goes dark. As I understand it, other countries are still using CDMA and might be able to use the phones somehow, but I doubt it unless they can be flashed free of Tracfone.

The LG 440G/441G is a good 3G GSM phone. It uses a special Tracfone SIM which they will send to you. In order to tell which subsidiary is which, you will have to contact Tracfone and see which IMEI has been assigned to which subsidiary. I believe this is the only difference. I guess they did this so your phone would activate under the correct plan, since the subsidiaries have different rates. This phone uses one money bucket for talk/text/data.

Tracfone should be able to find the LG IMEIs and tell you which plan they use. They might be able to be rebranded, don't know.

A friend of mine had two of these phones which I managed for him.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OERT View Post
    Hi - We are a reseller and receive shipments which are usually one carrier, or have a way of looking up via IMEI through various sites, tools, etc.

We recently received a bunch of LG 440g/441g and LG236C. All have the Tracfone branding on the housing. However, apparently they are a mix of Straight Talk, Tracfone and Net10, but they are not labeled. Specifically on the 236C I know this is a CDMA based product only, and the phones only have an MEID for that reason.

I've checked the menus and also attempted to activate on all 3 sites, and all 3 say the sample MEID we checked are not in the system.

Is there a way to determine which "brand" of tracfone these are for? Since all are under the same Tracfone umbrella but apparently can't work with each other, we need to find a way to tell them apart.

Do they use the same PRL? same software version? Maybe there's a distinction there? If anyone could help we would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
    They are all bordering on eWaste.

These are all nearly obsolete flip phones with no market value that I can think of that is worth the cost of selling them.

The LG236C would have used Verizon as the carrier. Verizon and their MVNOs have not allowed activativation of CDMA-only voice, non-VoLTE phones in over a year - no exceptions. Sales outside the US would not work. The Tracfone phones are tightly locked and will not activate with a foreign SIM. Aside from which, CDMA is nearly nonexistent outside the US. It can only make unactivated 911 calls in the US until CDMA is shutdown here. Verizon is shutting down their CDMA at the end of 2020. Sprint is unknown, but T-Mobile, their new owner, will shutdown Sprint CDMA as soon as they can. My guess is about a year. The phones can't be activated with Sprint as the carrier. Tracfone does not use Sprint.

As @Advcomp2019 said, you may be able to determine the carrier the 440/41 phones were intended to use by looking at the SIM numbers. Do they have SIMs in them? This will not tell you what Tracfone brand they were intended for.

Recent Tracfone smartphones can be activated on any of their brands no matter which one it was sold for. It's the service you pay for and activate that determines what TF service they use, not the phone or TF SIM. I don't know if this applies to old phones. They used to be pretty tightly locked.

The 440 and 441 are GSM 3G for UTMS voice/text. You may be able to activate and use them with TF AT&T or T-Mobile service for as long as they continue running 3G. IIRC, AT&T 3G should continue until 2022. T-Mo may shut down their 3G at the end of 2020. I would check a few IMEIs at Tracfone, Net10, Straighttalk, etc. to see if they will accept them for activation.

As someone mentioned, if they were not scanned from wholesale stock to purchased, they won't be able to be activated. They would be treated like stolen phones by TF.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

As @Advcomp2019 said, you may be able to determine the carrier the 440/41 phones were intended to use by looking at the SIM numbers. Do they have SIMs in them? This will not tell you what Tracfone brand they were intended for.

As someone mentioned, if they were not scanned from wholesale stock to purchased, they won't be able to be activated. They would be treated like stolen phones by TF
    I think the SIM card ID was marked for the brand back then. ST for Straight Talk, NT for Net10, TF for Tracfone.
    Yes, the phones were REALLY locked down to a single application then. Rebranding is a fairly new change in policy.
    The retail scan is proof of ownership. Without some kind of proof they will never provide a replacement SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I think the SIM card ID was marked for the brand back then. ST for Straight Talk, NT for Net10, TF for Tracfone.
    Yes, the phones were REALLY locked down to a single application then. Rebranding is a fairly new change in policy.
    The retail scan is proof of ownership. Without some kind of proof they will never provide a replacement SIM.
    Ok, The SIM in my old TF 2G LG500G says TF64SIMT5 on it. My bunch of SIMs from the Family Dollar deal also say TF...

The SIM in my Straight Talk Home Base has TF on it, but that is a relatively new device.

I don't have a Net10 or other TF brand phone/SIM to check those.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have an old Net10 Motorola flip phone that ran on AT&T towers years ago to test AT&T towers somewhere in one of desk drawer, but I can't find it to check on its SIM tho.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Ok, The SIM in my old TF 2G LG500G says TF64SIMT5 on it. My bunch of SIMs from the Family Dollar deal also say TF...
    Not sure when all the SIMS became marked TF. Even in the early smartphone era there were brand markings. Before BYOP was officially released by Tracfone, some found out you could use an ST marked SIM along with a Tracfone/VZW NAC (Network Access Code) to get an outside phone on Tracfone. The TF marked SIM would not work.