Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are there two APNs for 5g access?

Feedback Score

Are there two APNs for 5g access?

Should my Samsung Galaxy s20+ 5g just latch on to a 5g signal or would I need it provisioned with an APN etc? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    No one knows?

Feedback Score
    When I find 5g tower is there any important test mode performances I should run while connected to the tower? Thanks

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    As long as your data plan includes 5G access, your device should automatically connect when you are in a coverage area. Afaik, they don't use a different APN to utilize 5G. Service Mode is your best option to check bands, carrier sizes, etc. *#0011#

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    As long as your data plan includes 5G access, your device should automatically connect when you are in a coverage area. Afaik, they don't use a different APN to utilize 5G. Service Mode is your best option to check bands, carrier sizes, etc. *#0011#
    I was thinking the same thing. As long as you are on elite or extra.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Iím currently searching for 5g+. I found it in one block but couldnít find the tower. Iím assuming that code is for android phones? I had to restart my phone to connect to 5g. Would it say 5g or 5g+? Probably 5g correct? Here are two pics that seem to (at least two) that are not 5g but lte. Where my phone connected to 5g it was a low mbps but connecting to lte tower its 400+. Thatís better than where I live. Iím going to one other location then if unsuccessful Iíll go back to where I first found 5g and try and look for the tower. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    The tiki torches were supposedly put up back in late 2018 around the time AT&T started deploying 5g here so I was hopeful but a las

Feedback Score
    Could these be the 5g towers Iím connected to? And also why does service mode say lte when connected to 5g? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Could these be the 5g towers Iím connecting to? Also why does service mode say Iím connected to lte when my phone says 5g?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Voice will default to 4G. 5G is primarily used for data. 4G will not be going anywhere for quite some time. For now, the two run hand in hand. While 5G will likely incorporate voice in the future, it doesn't currently. Check out this article: https://www.qualcomm.com/invention/5g/what-is-5g
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    B66 LTE is the anchor band which is being utilized until Stand Alone 5G is rolled out but it's gonna be a while like Serial Port mentioned. The second pic you posted looks like a Sprint small cell. Not sure about the other two, but none of those are mmWave nodes which will display as 5G+. Sub-6/n5 will only be deployed on macro sites currently I believe, but I could be wrong. Not sure why your phone is showing 5G, but there's no info in the NR fields in Service Mode which indicates you aren't connected to sub-6 5G. It is, however showing 'Rel: 15 Support' which to me indicates your phone is detecting 5G but isn't connecting. Check that service mode screen again while you are running a test and will show if your phone is on n5. LTE will yield those fast speeds especially if you were utilizing LAA/B46.

Feedback Score
    B66 LTE is the anchor band which is being utilized until Stand Alone 5G is rolled out but it's gonna be a while like Serial Port mentioned. The second pic you posted looks like a Sprint small cell. Not sure about the other two, but none of those are mmWave nodes which will display as 5G+. Sub-6/n5 will only be deployed on macro sites currently I believe, but I could be wrong. Not sure why your phone is showing 5G, but there's no info in the NR fields in Service Mode which indicates you aren't connected to sub-6 5G. It is, however showing 'Rel: 15 Support' which to me indicates your phone is detecting 5G but isn't connecting. Check that service mode screen again while you are running a test and will show if your phone is on n5. LTE will yield those fast speeds especially if you were utilizing LAA/B46.
    Well Iím sure there isnít any sub 6 5g here. So youíre saying that the phone will definitely show as 5g+ when connected to mmwave? I had some hand in getting info from AT&Ts network team and through the office of the President which told me that there definitely is 5g+ at the cross street I was at when my phone detected 5g. Those pix above arenít two far from the intersection but I did spot these on top of a building. Please tell me I found 5g+ towers???? I walked around and couldnít really see anything else. Thank you all for your help!!

Feedback Score
    Oh and so Iím assuming that two of those pix above are lte towers as my speeds went above 400 mbps when I was standing right near them

Feedback Score

Are there two APNs for 5g access?

More perplexing I guess is that while my phone says 5g when my phone saw 5g and I ran speedtests they all indicated lte.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In my earlier post, I pointed out the 5G is currently reserved for data and 4G (LTE) is used for voice. Both networks co-exist. That would explain you results. Only 1 APN is in use, no need for 2 different APN's. What is your concern ?? Everything appears to be operating perfectly normal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast