Thread: Signal Battery Drain?

Feedback Score

Signal Battery Drain?

Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but.. Would no signal drain the battery as bad as say 1 bar of signal would (-120dBm)?

I've been doing my research a lot lately and all i can find is weak signal will drain the battery but nothing on no signal..

All i want to know is if no signal would like be a harder drain than just 1 bar of signal or would be the same no matter what?

I choose to place it under motorola as i been only using Motorola phones for a few years now.. Currenlty using a G7

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    No signal at all will drain battery even faster than a weak signal. Searching for signal will really tax the battery.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Is this something to worry about though if my phone on all carriers gets signal and loses signal off and on throughout the day?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Furryfan93 View Post
    Is this something to worry about though if my phone on all carriers gets signal and loses signal off and on throughout the day?
    If it's doing it throughout the day then you must always be in a fringe area (like rural). A phone is always searching for the best band signal. My home's rural and my phone bounces between bands 2, 5, and 13 depending on what area of the house I go to. If you're in a metro area you'll likely lock onto one and wouldn't have the same drain. I go to my mother's house in town and my battery lasts much longer. Like @Digital Rules said, no signal and it's searching it's brains out and using battery.
    Worry about it? Only if you're in an area where everyone else has a good steady signal (on the same network); then could be your phone.