Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Cellular or Cellular One questions

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Consumer Cellular or Cellular One questions

Someone I know just signed up with Cellular One and I Googled it. Consumer Cellular came up. Are they the same?

The person said they ordered the $30 flip and will have the $15/mo 250 mins talk only plan with an AARP discount (5%).

The phone is a ZTE flip. Model number unknown but saw one at the Consumer Cellular website and it says ZTE on the back. Does anyone know what the actual model name/number is of this phone?

The coverage map shows solid 4g LTE coverage for our town so that doesn't seem to be much concern. She didn't order a plan with data. We live between Yosemite and Fresno California where AT&T and Verizon get good service. Currently my phones are served by VZ towers.

I thought Consumer Cellular was GSM or AT&T but she said her phone will be served by Verizon.

She hasn't gotten the phone yet, the company she's switching to has to contact Verizon to port her number (current phone is with VZ).

I know nada about Consumer Cellular or Cellular One and wondering what the general consensus is on the service.

Is there a place in the Howard Forums where people discuss Consumer Cellular, or is General Prepaid discussion pretty much the place? I'm not even sure if it's considered prepaid or postpaid service.

I think that's about it for the questions. Thanks!

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Consumer cellular is a nationwide MVNO running on AT&T network. Cellular One is a very small regional carrier only available in Arizona and New Mexico.

Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    ...I thought Consumer Cellular was GSM or AT&T but she said her phone will be served by Verizon....
    Unless things have changed, Consumer Cellular only uses AT&T and T-Mobile, no Verizon.

If you order it, make sure to insist on AT&T if that is what you want. Otherwise, the tend to send the SIM for T-Mobile.

T-Mobile is getting better in some places, but can be pretty horrible if you are not in one of their good areas.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4,Moto e5,ZTE Z320,Pokefi,Isatphone 2.1,Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    Vz/Visible,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    The ZTE flip phone is likely a model Z320. It is a LTE 4g phone.

Sent from my moto z4 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    Consumer cellular is a nationwide MVNO running on AT&T network. Cellular One is a very small regional carrier only available in Arizona and New Mexico.

Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app
    Thanks. She said Cellular One. Odd because I'd heard of it before, just not around here. She said she'd seen it in her AARP magazine and called them to ask about it. She must've meant Consumer Cellular. If it runs on AT&T it should be fine for her because VZ and AT&T have strong service here.

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Unless things have changed, Consumer Cellular only uses AT&T and T-Mobile, no Verizon.

If you order it, make sure to insist on AT&T if that is what you want. Otherwise, the tend to send the SIM for T-Mobile.

T-Mobile is getting better in some places, but can be pretty horrible if you are not in one of their good areas.
    Well, if her new phone runs on AT&T it should be fine here because we have strong service from them around town. If they send her a T-Mo SIM then she'll probably have trouble.

I tried T-Mo years ago and was living four miles out of town. Their service map showed my road at the fringes of their signal but had to go a mile from the lot to call or text. No calls or texts at the lot. On down the road into town, the signal was strong. If she stays near town she should be fine with T-Mo but if she intends to go out into the hills, forget it.

Someone else i knew had a T-Mo phone and couldn't get signal at the lot when I lived on the hill. There was a cell tower on the hill but must've been AT&T. That was the service that worked best for me. In town, definitely towers on the hill overlooking us here.

Thanks for the input.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
    The ZTE flip phone is likely a model Z320. It is a LTE 4g phone.

Sent from my moto z4 using HoFo mobile app
    Thanks, GadgetKen, I'll look up the Z320. I have a ZTE flip on TF/VZ and like it, the z233vl and have an older z222 that was nice but much more compact that I had on H20.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    The CC flip is called the Link. Couldn't find it on a search for ZTE flips. The z320 looks sort of like my z233.

Link to the CC site, hopefully to the page the Link is on.

https://www.consumercellular.com/sho...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can find the phones and sims at Target

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoDan View Post
    You can find the phones and sims at Target
    Thanks, I searched and found the ZTE Link on Target's website. I was unable to find reference to the model number. The few reviews didn't sound happy with it at all. Microphone sound quality issues. Said the menu isn't well thought out and the phone is big. However it supposedly charges fast and holds a charge well.

I guess let's face it, the old flips of bygone days are gone. It's too bad.

I had a Sony Ericson years ago that worked far better than these new flips. It took nice photos and I could pull up web pages that looked like the web actually looks. Sort of like Opera mini browser. That phone if it was 4g LTE and VoLTE capable, would blow these newer ones away. Paid $80 for it.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    If you look carefully on the Consumer Cellular web page, the phone is the ZTE "Link." The model number is Z2332CC. Looking up this phone online reveals it is a LTE/HSPA/GSM phone. Therefore, like the Alcatel A405DL it can be activated on Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile -based networks.

Back in the day many cell companies operated under the Cellular-One brand. According to Wikipedia, only three do today. None near Yosemite.

I find the sound in my A405DL to be excellent. Your friend has already pulled the trigger on Consumer Cellular. Today, the A405DL is $10 at the sotre or free (with airtime purchase) online. Inexpensive experiment. (My A405DL is TF/VZN or P+.)

IRegards, FJ
    Last edited by Frontierjustice; 07-14-2020 at 02:37 AM. Reason: confabulated with another thread

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post
    If you look carefully on the Consumer Cellular web page, the phone is the ZTE "Link." The model number is Z2332CC. Looking up this phone online reveals it is a LTE/HSPA/GSM phone. Therefore, like the Alcatel A405DL it can be activated on Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile -based networks.

Back in the day many cell companies operated under the Cellular-One brand. According to Wikipedia, only three do today. None near Yosemite.

I find the sound in my A405DL to be excellent. Your friend has already pulled the trigger on Consumer Cellular. Today, the A405DL is $10 at the sotre or free (with airtime purchase) online. Inexpensive experiment. (My A405DL is TF/VZN or P+.)

IRegards, FJ
    Thank you. Yes, she ordered the phone but it hasn't come yet. She said it's Cellular One still, but from her descrip of phone and plan I'm sure it's Consumer Cellular. I want to see the phone. She said the service will run on VZ towers.

She has had the same dependable LG flip since 2005 and has VZ service but she doesn't like the CSR help at the local store, they won't or can't answer her questions and lately the phone has been malfunctioning like it's not able to work with the LTE or VoLTE service. She has an old service plan and they won't let her transfer it to a new phone. It's $25 a month. With Consumer Cellular she saves $10 and she likrs the CSR helpline. "At least they answer the phone." she said.

Those old flips were nice simple phones. Not sure if she'll like the new ones as much, but she saw my TF z233vl and my TF Alcatel My Flip and said she liked the ZTE best. Looking at them is one thing, understanding their differences from the old flips is another. I offered to give her an extra unactivated z233vl I had but she decided to try Consumer Cellular.

I'll go look up the phone model you mentioned. The CC website photo keypad looks like my TF z233vl but the exterior doesn't.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    The Z2332CC is definitely the phone I saw, the CC (ZTE) Link. I was able to find the user manual. Thankyou much.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop; Formerly Truphone, Google Fi, T-Mo Prepaid Gold Reward
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post

IRegards, FJ
    The phones I have purchased from CC have been SIM locked for six months on their service. Have to request unlock from them after that...
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I'm sure it's Consumer Cellular. I want to see the phone. She said the service will run on VZ towers.
    I don't think Consumer Cellular uses Verizon, only TMO and AT&T.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast