Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the Normal Verizon Band-switching logic? Band 5 13 66

Feedback Score

What is the Normal Verizon Band-switching logic? Band 5 13 66

And I am back from Sprint to Verizon just before the next unCarrier announcement.

By all appearances Verizon likes to park me Band 66 at my house, put me on 13 when I am in the basement and switch me to 5 at other times.
    Band 5 850 MHz
    Band 13 700 MHz
    band 66 1700 MHz

Make sense as Band 13 penetrates further and Band 66 is the capacity Band.

Which one do you find yourself parked on the most?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    And I am back from Sprint to Verizon just before the next unCarrier announcement.

By all appearances Verizon likes to park me Band 66 at my house, put me on 13 when I am in the basement and switch me to 5 at other times.
    Band 5 850 MHz
    Band 13 700 MHz
    band 66 1700 MHz

Make sense as Band 13 penetrates further and Band 66 is the capacity Band.

Which one do you find yourself parked on the most?

Is it possible you're on both as in CA? possible 66+13 13x66 or 66+13+2?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Is it possible you're on both as in CA? possible 66+13 13x66 or 66+13+2?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    Here is what CA Status says in field test mode:

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Load balancing complicates the band priority. If all else is equal the network usually prefers 4/66 > 2 > 5 > 13, because 4/66 is usually wider and because 5 is less commonly supported & therefore less congested than 13. In places with Band 48, I imagine that’s preferred most of all because of both its superior bandwidth and its lack of support / less congestion.

Feedback Score
    I see 66 most the time, often 5, and sometimes 13. The weakest signal is on 66.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. This information is very helpful. Just wondering if itís In Verizonís interest to show 1 bar as the phone hangs on 4/66. The reality is there is potentially much better signal available as soon as the phone needs it.

Feedback Score

I wondered this at first as well. My kids and wife asked me why they only had one bar, too.

On AT&T, on my XSM, when I had two bars my phone didnít work worth a damn (data stalls) and would go from two bars to Searching.

Since switching to Verizon 9 months ago, that same phone gets 20-30 Mbit/sec on Verizon with one bar, never displays Searching.

If I toggle in and out of airplane mode, my phone will switch to a stronger, lower speed / busier anchor band, but then will switch back to the capacity band in a minute or so.

I didnít understand this at first. But itís been working well for me.

Iíve been wanting /planning to upgrade to the iPhone 12 Pro to get back to a Qualcomm baseband and be ready for CBRS, 5G, and C-Band.

But my XSM works so well now, Iím having a hard tine justifying the added expense. Iím on Get More and frequent NJ & PA.

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score

Fake signal bars are bad like some carriers do.

Yep, as you said VZW band management is working great. As soon as you need capacity you get the bars and speeds you need. The phone switches bands automatically to get the higher speeds when needed.

(I also prefer this approach to how AT&T leaves people on HSPA+ even in LTE areas. Airplane mode required to get back to LTE.)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    I wondered this at first as well. My kids and wife asked me why they only had one bar, too.

On AT&T, on my XSM, when I had two bars my phone didnít work worth a damn (data stalls) and would go from two bars to Searching.

Since switching to Verizon 9 months ago, that same phone gets 20-30 Mbit/sec on Verizon with one bar, never displays Searching.

If I toggle in and out of airplane mode, my phone will switch to a stronger, lower speed / busier anchor band, but then will switch back to the capacity band in a minute or so.

I didnít understand this at first. But itís been working well for me.

Iíve been wanting /planning to upgrade to the iPhone 12 Pro to get back to a Qualcomm baseband and be ready for CBRS, 5G, and C-Band.

But my XSM works so well now, Iím having a hard tine justifying the added expense. Iím on Get More and frequent NJ & PA.

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah, Verizon always seems to lock onto band 13 (strongest signal) immediately after toggling airplane mode. Like you said, the band usually changes within a minute to a weaker signal/higher capacity however.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I don't have band 66 on my phone (I have the subset band 4), they've got 4 (maybe 66 too), 2, 5, and 13 here. Mine strongly favors 4, it used to then kick off to 13 (only saw 5 very occasionally), but more recently could be 13 or 5 (I assume it favored band 5 very little at first because it was pretty narrow, and favors it more now because most of the CDMA/EVDO's been shut down so the LTE channel is wider.) I've only seen band 2 occasionally around here, I think they have a rather narrow chunk of band 2 here.

Something interesting, based on a speed test, I had an area where I could reliably test "fringe" band 4 as it switched to band 13, run speedtests, etc.; it'd sit on band 4 down to about -120 dbm signal shown, gradually slower speed tests as band 4 got down to -120, then (moving over a few feet) switch to band 13, stronger signal but the same speeds. I *think* what it does in reality is carrier aggregate 4+13, and just put more and more traffic off 4 and onto 13 as the band 4 signal gets poor, finally dropping band 4 as the signal is low enough for it to not be very useful. I can't verify this, my BlackBerry KeyOne has no CA menu, and is as far as I know unrootable so I can't just install an app to get me CA info.

I'm not a fan of "fake bars" either, but it could make sense (with carrier aggregation) to show the signal strength of the strongest component, rather than whichever it's camping on; my phone will frequently show like "0-1" bar on band 4 (probably 4+13 or 4+5...), only to have it jump up to like 4 bars once it goes to plain band 13 or 5.

Feedback Score
    This is the app I’ve been using in my Android phones to track the LTE bands in my area, along with CellMapper.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.ltediscovery

Device(s)
    Note20U, Pixel4XL, Axon 10P, Atom, MoFi, i8(work), etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, Tmo, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    Glad to see its updated, I had deleted it but adding it back. My favs are SignalCheck, Network Cell Info and NetMonster.
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    This is the app Iíve been using in my Android phones to track the LTE bands in my area, along with CellMapper.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.ltediscovery
    LTE Discovery also shows if you are using VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    Yep! They just did an update on the app so it shows more information and bands like the long and short alpha tag and 5G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    LTE Discovery also shows if you are using VoLTE.
    Where in the app? My app says last updated August 8th so has it been updated again since then?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast