Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is the Normal Verizon Band-switching logic? Band 5 13 66

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Where in the app? My app says last updated August 8th so has it been updated again since then?
    Under SIM card, it shows what’s being used.
    Data type: LTE
    Voice type: LTE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Where in the app? My app says last updated August 8th so has it been updated again since then?
    Been that way as long as I can remember. Just like in the #*#*4636*#*# menu.
    Name:  Screenshot_20200824-174307.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  45.6 KB

Feedback Score

What is the Normal Verizon Band-switching logic? Band 5 13 66

Has anyone else noticed their phone preferring Band 13 - 700 mhz again? I turned off my Network Extender and my phone is happily using 700 MHz again just like it did a few years back, which is great!
    I hope this is the end of it camping out on Band 66 as a Parking Band.
    Marginal Service is much better on Band 13.

Anyone else think Verizon just updated their Band Switching logic to prefer and switch to Band 13 sooner when users are farther away?
    Last edited by tekfranz; 04-13-2021 at 12:20 AM.

Feedback Score
    I agree. It should switch quicker to band 13 or Band 5 rather than parking on a higher frequency very low signal band.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 mini, iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon (Spectrum Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I agree. It should switch quicker to band 13 or Band 5 rather than parking on a higher frequency very low signal band.
    The problem with B5 and B13 is the 10x10 maximum channel width. In my experience, even a mediocre signal 20x20 B66 channel has far better upstream speeds than 10x10 B13. The wider channel should be preferred by the network until throughput/lower modulations force the throughput as low as the UE would get on a lower band anyway. My guess is that they're tuning that and made some improvements on when that "judgement call" gets made to push you to B13.

In my area, my neighborhood is served by an older small cell that only has two radios (10x10 B13 and 20x20 B66), my phone still hangs on to B66 as long as it can, then jumps from 1 bar of B66 that still works pretty well to 4 bars of B13. B66 gets about 40 down/25 up. B13 works "ok" as well, but is still slower due to being 10x10 and having more congestion from people using LTE indoors and farther away from the small cell.

Oddly, Verizon doesn't use much B5 in my area despite having the A and B side licenses. It's a lot of prime, low-band spectrum sitting idle and going to waste in many areas, while B13 stays congested.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blkballoon925 View Post
    Oddly, Verizon doesn't use much B5 in my area despite having the A and B side licenses. It's a lot of prime, low-band spectrum sitting idle and going to waste in many areas, while B13 stays congested.
    The priority for my closest macro/small cell is B66, B5, B13. It stays on B66 most of the time. I noticed they have added B2 and B4 to some cells, but I have not seen that in my home location. Will check that when out a ways.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    That is very strange for you to not be seeing B5 a lot in a CLR A&B market. Here, mid state has both A&B and rarely do I see 13. Lots of sites with 66+n5+66+2+5. Some sites only seem to be using one B5 carrier as a SCC only.

Feedback Score

What is the Normal Verizon Band-switching logic? Band 5 13 66

The problem with B5 and B13 is the 10x10 maximum channel width. In my experience, even a mediocre signal 20x20 B66 channel has far better upstream speeds than 10x10 B13. The wider channel should be preferred by the network until throughput/lower modulations force the throughput as low as the UE would get on a lower band anyway. My guess is that they're tuning that and made some improvements on when that "judgement call" gets made to push you to B13.

In my area, my neighborhood is served by an older small cell that only has two radios (10x10 B13 and 20x20 B66), my phone still hangs on to B66 as long as it can, then jumps from 1 bar of B66 that still works pretty well to 4 bars of B13. B66 gets about 40 down/25 up. B13 works "ok" as well, but is still slower due to being 10x10 and having more congestion from people using LTE indoors and farther away from the small cell.

Yep, saw congestion on band 13 this morning. Speeds dropped from 30Mbps down to 6.5 down. I still prefer the building penetration of band 13 so I am happy for the change and I can always just use WiFi.

[mention]CellGeek [/mention]Yes exactly switching to lower band sooner is better in my opinion. But they will no doubt continue to tweak as new frequencies come online.

Also if they decide to park a user on a weak signal band, I think they should show potential service bars in some way. Maybe in a light color behind the actual bars. Not asking for fake bars, just some assurance that I will still get calls and texts when parked on 1 bar. But Band 13 priority has solved this for me for the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tekfranz; 04-15-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a good idea regarding the bars.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Anyone else think Verizon just updated their Band Switching logic to prefer and switch to Band 13 sooner when users are farther away?
    Entirely possible, my area I still camp on band 4 (a.k.a. 66) usually, but it hands off before band 4 is low enough to be unreliable. But, with carrier aggregation it is really running B4+B13 so with a low B4 signal most of the traffic is already going over B13.

If VZW found camping on weak B4 was unreliable in your area for whatever reason (VZW has a different brand of hardware there & and it just doesn't deal with weak service as well, or some tuning issue like they had the handoff signals strength set too weak, or interference, or local terrain, whatever) it would totally make sense to have devices camp on B13, run B13+B66, and just run most of the traffic over B66 (even though you're camping on B13) when you have a good B66 signal, run it over B13 when the B66 signal is low (or non-existant.)

Edit: Of course, the other good reason to have phones camp on Band 13 or 5, then you're not sitting around with your phone showing like 1 bar of signal. It is a little tricky to tell, really, "I have 1 bar outside here, and I'm going in this basement; will it drop below 1 bar and loose service, or switch bands and shoot up to like 4 bars?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Entirely possible, my area I still camp on band 4 (a.k.a. 66) usually, but it hands off before band 4 is low enough to be unreliable. But, with carrier aggregation it is really running B4+B13 so with a low B4 signal most of the traffic is already going over B13.

If VZW found camping on weak B4 was unreliable in your area for whatever reason (VZW has a different brand of hardware there & and it just doesn't deal with weak service as well, or some tuning issue like they had the handoff signals strength set too weak, or interference, or local terrain, whatever) it would totally make sense to have devices camp on B13, run B13+B66, and just run most of the traffic over B66 (even though you're camping on B13) when you have a good B66 signal, run it over B13 when the B66 signal is low (or non-existant.)

Edit: Of course, the other good reason to have phones camp on Band 13 or 5, then you're not sitting around with your phone showing like 1 bar of signal. It is a little tricky to tell, really, "I have 1 bar outside here, and I'm going in this basement; will it drop below 1 bar and loose service, or switch bands and shoot up to like 4 bars?"
    Well it appears like I am now camping out on Band 66 again. I need to figure out seeing CA on an iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    At home in the hills my iPhone X always camps out on band 2 with 1 to 1.5 bars of signal. Performance is bad typically 1 to 3 mb/s up and down. Calls never drop but because of the low signal the phone eats battery. I always use WiFi calling at home to save my battery.

I came home yesterday and I thought Verizon had installed a new cell tower. I had 5 bars of signal. With WiFi calling off, I ran Speedtest and got 30mb/s down and 20mb/s up. I was thrilled at the performance! I was fooled. My phone had apparently flopped over to one of the lower frequency band like band 13. Unfortunately it only stayed on this low frequency band for about 5 minutes. It then flopped back over to band 2 and the normal low data rate of 2mb/s.

To me, this is an error in Verizon’s band switching logic. People in the hills like me should be able to force the phone to a low frequency band in order to get better performance.

Thoughts?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    At home in the hills my iPhone X always camps out on band 2 with 1 to 1.5 bars of signal. Performance is bad typically 1 to 3 mb/s up and down. Calls never drop but because of the low signal the phone eats battery. I always use WiFi calling at home to save my battery.

I came home yesterday and I thought Verizon had installed a new cell tower. I had 5 bars of signal. With WiFi calling off, I ran Speedtest and got 30mb/s down and 20mb/s up. I was thrilled at the performance! I was fooled. My phone had apparently flopped over to one of the lower frequency band like band 13. Unfortunately it only stayed on this low frequency band for about 5 minutes. It then flopped back over to band 2 and the normal low data rate of 2mb/s.

To me, this is an error in Verizon’s band switching logic. People in the hills like me should be able to force the phone to a low frequency band in order to get better performance.

Thoughts?
    Unfortunately, you can't manually switch bands on iPhone like you can on some Androids.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You could ask Verizon for a Network Extender, or buy one if they refuse. It works wonders for daily quality of life, even though you Technically Don’t Need It.

Feedback Score

Thoughts?
    If people could switch everyone would switch to band 13 and then people out in the boonies would be without service while other bands go unused. if you can't understand why Verizon doesn't let a just anyone switch bands( hint because a lot of people are stupid and/or selfish ) then I don't what to tell you. If Verizon is performing poorly switch carriers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast