Thread: Unlocked Comcast S8/ATT Question

Feedback Score

Unlocked Comcast S8/ATT Question

I am moving to rural NW West Virginia in 4 weeks. Very few cell towers and most of them are ATT. I have a fully paid Comcast Samsung S8 and have received the unlocking code from Comcast for a byod move to another carrier (Comcast does not service where I am moving to). I absolutely want wifi-calling and data but don't want to buy another phone. Can ATT do this for me or do I need to look at another carrier?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Your phone is capable without doubt. The bottom line is if At&t can provision it in their system to work properly. I can neither confirm or deny that it will or won't work. If it doesn't work upon activation, ask customer service (Tier I) to submit a trouble ticket to Tier II (2).
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marsofold View Post
    I am moving to rural NW West Virginia in 4 weeks. Very few cell towers and most of them are ATT. I have a fully paid Comcast Samsung S8 and have received the unlocking code from Comcast for a byod move to another carrier (Comcast does not service where I am moving to). I absolutely want wifi-calling and data but don't want to buy another phone. Can ATT do this for me or do I need to look at another carrier?
    Is it actually Comcast or mvno on VZW?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I bought through Comcast and pay Comcast monthly for its use. Uses VZW network, but few VZW towers where I am moving to.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I bought through Comcast and pay Comcast monthly for its use. Uses VZW network, but few VZW towers where I am moving to.
    Two things. Chance you may get very lucky and the s8 will automatically provision tor att when you change the sim card. Then volte and wifi calling should work.

Or if it does not provision automatically, you will have to look into flashing the att carrier software.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 4 XL, Apple iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I had a S8 from AT&T and an S8+ from Xfinity Mobile and went through this process both ways (not a fun story lol). Because they're both Samsung phones sold from their respective carriers, they have the firmware that will auto-flash to whatever SIM card is inserted (provided the phone is unlocked). This usually allows advanced calling features like VoLTE and VoWiFi to work on AT&T, though I've seen some people complain about one of the plans on AT&T Prepaid not letting Wi-Fi calling work for some reason. But if you're doing BYOD postpaid, you shouldn't have this issue.

Long story short, your phone should be good to go with AT&T.