Thread: AT&T insanity

Feedback Score

AT&T insanity

So I got an interesting email from AT&T saying that my phone won't work on there network sometime in 2022 because it doesn't supp5HD Voice.

Huh?!

I have a Note 10, which they list as supported.

Oh, I get it. Since AT&T doesn't allow HD Voice on unlocked phones, they don't support it.

So it sounds like in the future, AT&T will not support unlocked phones. Sounds like a good reason to change carriers...

Have I got the right take on this?

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If the phone is unlocked, the system probably did not recognize the make/model and assumed you were using a 3G device and not LTE/VOLTE. Likely that the system isn't recognizing which phone model you are using if it wasn't bought/branded by At&t. Don't sweat the details. 4G isn't going away anytime in the near future and clearly your phone will be supported for years to come, even if you don't upgrade it eventually.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Berg View Post
    So I got an interesting email from AT&T saying that my phone won't work on there network sometime in 2022 because it doesn't supp5HD Voice.

Huh?!

I have a Note 10, which they list as supported.

Oh, I get it. Since AT&T doesn't allow HD Voice on unlocked phones, they don't support it.

So it sounds like in the future, AT&T will not support unlocked phones. Sounds like a good reason to change carriers...

Have I got the right take on this?

Nope. Perhaps they think you are using an older phone. The UMTS shutdown will be on 2/22/2022 so a non-VoLTE supported phone will not work on AT&T after that date. HD voice works on AT&T on newer unlocked Galaxys. I'm not seeing EVS however on my unlocked S10e, just HD/V. This is AT&T to Verizon:

Name:  Screenshot_20200721-172213_Service mode RIL.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  37.7 KB

Feedback Score
    I thought that AT&T generally didn't support HD Voice on most unlocked phones, just as they don't support WiFi calling? I was surprised to get the email, for sure. I don't see any settings for advanced calling under mobile data...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    I thought that AT&T generally didn't support HD Voice on most unlocked phones, just as they don't support WiFi calling? I was surprised to get the email, for sure. I don't see any settings for advanced calling under mobile data...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    They are allowing some now and probably a majority of them going forward. We are about a year and a half from the scheduled 3G shutdown so they will be forced to. I think another user posted that Wifi Calling is enabled on the S20 U1 now, but I can't verify that.

If you dial *#*#4636#*#* and select 'Device Information' it will show what network features are enabled. WiFi Calling is blocked on my S10 U1.

Feedback Score
    Using that code, I can see that Volte provisioned and WiFi calling provisioned are both grayed out, although it looks like Volte is set on (to the right) while WiFi calling is off.

So if I call AT&T would they be able to provision Volte, or is it unavailable? My Note 10 is unlocked, bought from Best Buy in February. They just moved the SIM, didn't set up anything with AT&T.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Using that code, I can see that Volte provisioned and WiFi calling provisioned are both grayed out, although it looks like Volte is set on (to the right) while WiFi calling is off.

So if I call AT&T would they be able to provision Volte, or is it unavailable? My Note 10 is unlocked, bought from Best Buy in February. They just moved the SIM, didn't set up anything with AT&T.

Mine is set to on and grayed out as well which means your device is utilizing it and it can't be disabled from that menu. But wifi calling is blocked and I don't think CS can enable it on their end.

When you make a call and the indicator displays LTE/LTE+ and doesn't drop to 3G your phone is utilizing VoLTE or HD voice depending on if your calling a landline or another wireless phone.

Feedback Score
    I think that this article explains what is happening:
    https://www.androidcentral.com/att-v...network-sunset

It is hard to predict what AT&T will do with to customers with unlocked Android phones after the 3G shutdown.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I agree. The problem is that at&t doesn't seem to care about their customers with unlocked phones. I pay them every month, but because I brought my own phone they want to throw me out. I will not buy a carrier locked phone.

Seems to me like I might as well move to a carrier who will support my phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I guess I'm lucky in that I prefer iPhones, so I don't have these issues with ATT. Or even on MVNOs like I am with now, since even they now support Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE on ATT's network. An issue I've had in the past with ATT is support in Nebraska when I visit there, but the maps look better for coverage and when CV allows me to go back, I'll check.

In areas I go in Oklahoma, ATT is generally working better recently.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I agree. The problem is that at&t doesn't seem to care about their customers with unlocked phones. I pay them every month, but because I brought my own phone they want to throw me out. I will not buy a carrier locked phone.

I am guessing that AT&T does not like unlocked phones because they want the profit margin on selling AT&T branded devices. In my experience T-Mobile and its MVNO's are the most friendly to users of unlocked Android devices. iPhone users are lucky, those work fine regardless of carrier. Anyway, if T-Mobile has decent coverage in your area consider trying them out.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score

I'm in the exact same position with the exact same phone. VoLTE is no issue, it's enabled. But AT&T has repeatedly refused to enable Wifi calling, for whatever reason. If nothing else, we know this phone won't be a brick in 18 months, but still I'd like to have Wifi on.

AT&T's $300/year plan at $25/month is just too good to turn down.