Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile-Sprint Merger Update

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Sprint 5G phone does not work for 5G

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Here are some more details on the four 5G lines for $100 that Mike mentions:

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/07/t-mo...100-per-month/

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Apparently there is a new premium plan coming but I have no details on that...

Feedback Score
    They wont raise the prices, but I'm willing to bet they're going to take away "taxes and fees included" very soon.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    They wont raise the prices, but I'm willing to bet they're going to take away "taxes and fees included" very soon.
    I would imagine that would only apply due to a plan change. Sprint did not offer a "taxes and fees included" plan, prior to my port to T-mobile about 2 months ago. Likely that I can keep my current Magenta plan with T-Mobile as it currently stands. I would imagine that if I decide to upgrade to a 5G plan and device, all bets are off.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Apple IPhone 11/11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile/Sprint (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post

Four for 160 everything on us plan Hulu Netflix tidal amazon prime unlimited Mexico and Canada and HD video hotspot 25GB of LTE unlimited 3G yummy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    That might have actually been worth having an uncarreir event for

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    Wouldn't that do an "uncarrier" move? But considering their new Essentials plan and the $15 and $25 prepaid plans have taxes and fees that is confusing consumers. Also unlike unlimited the other carriers never followed suit. I can see them lowering the price of their plans but then adding in taxes and fees. Also bumping up what the plans offer a bit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Wouldn't that do an "uncarrier" move? But considering their new Essentials plan and the $15 and $25 prepaid plans have taxes and fees that is confusing consumers. Also unlike unlimited the other carriers never followed suit. I can see them lowering the price of their plans but then adding in taxes and fees. Also bumping up what the plans offer a bit.
    I'm not convinced. Every uncarrier event for past two years or so has slowly become more and more lackluster and simply weak. In some places like NYC, Chicago, LA, fees and taxes add up to a fat portion of the bill. This is a great way to gain margins back and make fat gains on the bottom line without breaking their promises of raising prices. Because legally speaking, they would not be raising prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I would imagine that would only apply due to a plan change. Sprint did not offer a "taxes and fees included" plan, prior to my port to T-mobile about 2 months ago. Likely that I can keep my current Magenta plan with T-Mobile as it currently stands. I would imagine that if I decide to upgrade to a 5G plan and device, all bets are off.
    I meant that for a new plan. Existing customers with legacy plans would keep their pricing and taxes and fees arrangement as long as they don't switch but for new customers it could be a whole new situation.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    IMHO, T-Mobile's biggest problem (and it's a good problem to have) is managing their phenomenal growth. New urban/suburban customers sign up and find a congested network. New rural customers sign up and find inadequate coverage. T-Mobile is building and upgrading as fast as the manufacturers can supply hardware but it's never fast enough. They need to focus on keeping the Sprint customers they're gaining and ease up on poaching from AT&T and Verizon until they get their network upgraded to handle the load. I think Sprint customers are going to be happy when they're on the T-Mobile network but their major pain point will be the lack of fall-back roaming outside of T-Mobile's native footprint. So, I view finding a solution to the problem of rural coverage to be at least as important as urban capacity. It doesn't have to be native coverage, more liberal roaming would qualify. People just want to know that they can make a call if they break down on a rural road, without having to carry a backup phone.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    IMHO, T-Mobile's biggest problem (and it's a good problem to have) is managing their phenomenal growth. New urban/suburban customers sign up and find a congested network. New rural customers sign up and find inadequate coverage. T-Mobile is building and upgrading as fast as the manufacturers can supply hardware but it's never fast enough. They need to focus on keeping the Sprint customers they're gaining and ease up on poaching from AT&T and Verizon until they get their network upgraded to handle the load. I think Sprint customers are going to be happy when they're on the T-Mobile network but their major pain point will be the lack of fall-back roaming outside of T-Mobile's native footprint. So, I view finding a solution to the problem of rural coverage to be at least as important as urban capacity. It doesn't have to be native coverage, more liberal roaming would qualify. People just want to know that they can make a call if they break down on a rural road, without having to carry a backup phone.
    I figured sprint would give T-Mobile a lot more coverage but it appears most of their coverage overlapped quite a bit between the two. Looks like any rural improvements will need to be built out beyond what 600 range does when compared to something like band 4.

Many are saying T-Mobile adds 600 to one tower and then considers a town to be covered with just that one tower. If they want to compete with att and Verizon one tower won’t cut it if they truly want decent rural coverage

They can always go back and add more so hopefully they do that. T-Mobile also needs more backup power in my opinion. They desperately need that. If I lose power T-Mobile is the only one that doesn’t stay up

Sometimes I’ll connect to a further away tower and get 1 bar but it’s not usable at that point

I often carry multiple prepaid phones but if I ever cutback and just want one phone line, T-Mobile won’t be it. Hopefully that will change down the road.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
    I figured sprint would give T-Mobile a lot more coverage but it appears most of their coverage overlapped quite a bit between the two. Looks like any rural improvements will need to be built out beyond what 600 range does when compared to something like band 4.

Many are saying T-Mobile adds 600 to one tower and then considers a town to be covered with just that one tower. If they want to compete with att and Verizon one tower won’t cut it if they truly want decent rural coverage

They can always go back and add more so hopefully they do that. T-Mobile also needs more backup power in my opinion. They desperately need that. If I lose power T-Mobile is the only one that doesn’t stay up ...
    I studied the coverage maps back when combining Sprint and T-Mo was first mentioned a couple of years ago. It was apparent that Sprint mostly overlapped T-Mo with mostly the same weak areas. No surprise there that Sprint added little additional coverage. The primary value of Sprint was their large block of nationwide band 41 spectrum. To a lesser extent, the existing Sprint subscribers that might stick around could be worth something.

A couple of years ago I mapped T-Mo in King George county Virginia with Cellmapper. KG county is rather rural, but just outside the DC metro suburban sprawl. The result was little spots of coverage every few miles with zero signal gaps in between.

This area got the TV stations moved about last December so that band 71 could be deployed. On a recent drive through KG county I found that now there is signal everywhere along the main road. That's good, but the data speed was poor, varying between 1.5 and 3 Mbps. It's a start, but they have a long way to go. AFAIK, T-Mo has 15x15 of 600 MHz in the area, but they put 10x10 of it on n71 5G and only 5x5 on LTE.

I often carry multiple prepaid phones but if I ever cutback and just want one phone line, T-Mobile won’t be it. Hopefully that will change down the road.
    Ditto. T-Mo won't be it for me until they are a whole lot better. Their price is not enough less for me to put up with their deficiencies. As DRN said, they are buying and building as fast as they can. I expect they will get there in a few years.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I studied the coverage maps back when combining Sprint and T-Mo was first mentioned a couple of years ago. It was apparent that Sprint mostly overlapped T-Mo with mostly the same weak areas. No surprise there that Sprint added little additional coverage. The primary value of Sprint was their large block of nationwide band 41 spectrum. To a lesser extent, the existing Sprint subscribers that might stick around could be worth something.

A couple of years ago I mapped T-Mo in King George county Virginia with Cellmapper. KG county is rather rural, but just outside the DC metro suburban sprawl. The result was little spots of coverage every few miles with zero signal gaps in between.

This area got the TV stations moved about last December so that band 71 could be deployed. On a recent drive through KG county I found that now there is signal everywhere along the main road. That's good, but the data speed was poor, varying between 1.5 and 3 Mbps. It's a start, but they have a long way to go. AFAIK, T-Mo has 15x15 of 600 MHz in the area, but they put 10x10 of it on n71 5G and only 5x5 on LTE.

Ditto. T-Mo won't be it for me until they are a whole lot better. Their price is not enough less for me to put up with their deficiencies. As DRN said, they are buying and building as fast as they can. I expect they will get there in a few years.
    Yeah I think T-Mobile will definitely get there but will take some time. Their 2gb prepaid plan is perfect price wise for me and for the price I can carry other networks and not break the bank.

I do like T-Mobile call quality the best so it’s my go to phone for calls. For some reason it sounds better even now to my ears.

I’d like to eventually be T-Mobile only so we shall see how it goes with the network build

Last edited by daisydoo; 07-24-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The primary value of Sprint was their large block of nationwide band 41 spectrum.
    While true the additional PCS spectrum in many areas also helps. It may be years before my area gets bands 41 but T-Mobile could light up Sprint's PCS spectrum TODAY in my area if they wanted to. While they're at it they could light up their own since they have licenses here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast