Thread: Wi-Fi Calling quits working after some time

Feedback Score

Wi-Fi Calling quits working after some time

I use Verizon Wi-Fi Calling on my iPhone XS Max because Verizon cell reception is weak/nonexistant at home. This also lets me turn on Airplane Mode (with WiFi on) to conserve battery power and cut radiation from having to search and lock onto a weak cellular signal. But at some point, Wi-Fi Calling just quits working and calls get routed directly to voicemail without ringing my phone. I haven't figured out the pattern in which it quits working.

Does this happen to anyone else? When this happens, turning off/on WiFi on the phone or rebooting WiFi router doesn't do anything. What works is some combination of toggling Wi-Fi Calling and Airplane Mode on and off. I'm using an Asus RT-AC68U (AC1900) with Merlin firmware as my WiFi router.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wi-Fi Calling has always been unreliable, in my experience. That’s why I use a Network Extender 2.

Feedback Score
    WiFi calling works great on my families iPhones. We have XSM, 11, 11 Pro, and two 6s’s. It’s worked great for years on AT&T and for the 9 months on Verizon. With COVID we’ve been using WiFi calling a lot on Verizon with no issues.

But, we leave cellular on all the time. iOS might be putting the WiFi to sleep, which if in airplane mode, might result in the missed calls.

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Same here. Wfi calling isn't that reliable. Full bars and less radiation.
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Wi-Fi Calling has always been unreliable, in my experience. That’s why I use a Network Extender 2.
    Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    No problem with WiFi calling on iPhone X. Phones are not as good at receiving a WiFi signal as laptops because laptops have a larger internal antenna. I previously had problems until I upgraded to a mesh WiFi network (Netgear Orbi three router mesh system). No problems since. It successfully hands-off calls from WiFi to the cell tower as I go down my street.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I previously had issues with WiFi calling when it first came out and opted to use a Network Extender instead. Haven't had an issue with WiFi calling in awhile now however. Calls all seem to work perfectly and handoffs to the tower work perfectly. iPhone 11 Pro.