Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: T-Mobile's coverage map update... actually better (retraction of coverage)

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    That would depend on where you are. Typically, California hasn't had roaming agreements with the exception of USCC. TMobile is effectively the old Pacbell/Cingular network, which had a decent amount of coverage at the time (better than At&t back then). I've had TMobile since 2015, and haven't roamed in Cali (USCC may be the exception). Other states such as NY, VT, MI will feel the loss of coverage, as will former Sprint customers. I'll stick with my work AT&T for backup, as Cali in general is covered for 99% of what I use/need.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    I recall when T-Mobile, nee Cingular, nee Pac Bell had a roaming agreement with a small northern California carrier called Edge Wireless, which was later acquired by AT&T (https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-edge-wireless).

I was traveling in the San Francisco Bay Area and I had Cingular from the east coast and a GAIT (GSM-ANSI-136 Interoperability Team) phone. It was the best of all worlds for the time. I was able to use Cingular's TDMA and AMPS network back east, Cingular's GSM network in the west (the old Pac Bell network) but also roam onto AT&T's TDMA and AMPS network which was much more built out than Cingular's GSM network. I was able to get quite a bit of roaming back then, not just on Edge Wireless, but on AT&T in other places where Cingular had no GSM coverage (which was a LOT of places).

AT&T had much better coverage back then because it was at 800 MHz, while Cingular was stuck with the rather awful Cingular/PacBell PCS network which they later sold to T-Mobile.

For GAIT phones, there were only two (Nokia 6340 and Sony Ericsson T62u). I think that only Cingular and AT&T ever sold these. My friend, who had Cingular in California, wanted to buy one but Cingular wasn't selling them in their GSM-only areas, probably because they didn't want people doing extensive roaming onto AT&T's superior network.

To this day, I know very few people in California that use T-Mobile. T-Mobile seems to have zero interest in competing on coverage in the west where there are large low-populated areas. It's not like the east coast of the U.S. which is densely populated and more financially beneficial to provide coverage to. The end.
    Last edited by CanadianAngela; 08-03-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That may have been true in Norcal, but the SoCal area on former At&t Wireless truly sucked for many years. I used Siemens S46 GSM/TDMA, and in SoCal, Pacbell wireless/Cingular wad much better. I ended up often on emergency SOS on Cingular back then, even after 850 MHz GSM. These are/were 2 distinct markets. At&t has built out really since, more than Tmobile, where much of TMobile's expansion was primarily 700/600 MHz in rural California IMHO.
    I know many on TMobile... Of course, most are suburban, every profession from lawyer to photographer to teacher.

AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Yosemite is one notable exception where T-Mobile managed to get access to build a couple of sites. In Yellowstone T-Mobile has to roam Union. At Grand Canyon T-Mobile roams Commnet. AT&T and Verizon seem to have a couple sites each in Smoky Mountain NP. No one seems to have service at Zion, Isle Royale, North Cascades & Olympic NPs.

Now, I've been on top of a mountain on the Appalachian Trail, relaxing, trying to read a book while some A-H is yelling at his phone, "Honey! Look at this view!" So, there is something to be said for not having high-speed Internet service everywhere. On the same trip I needed to call the hiker's shuttle service to arrange pickup, so having basic service in remote areas is a real need. This is one reason I'd like to see HAPS based service in rural areas.
    While it's annoying to have people loudly talking on their phone when you're trying to enjoy a spectacular view, I've never bought into the narrative of "well it's good that my carrier has no coverage because I need to get away from my phone." I recall trying to meet up with someone in part of Yosemite where only Verizon had coverage, and only "fair" coverage at that. It was just in a parking lot. I was glad to have coverage. Later, on the hike, the coverage was very spotty, but I didn't care.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    That may have been true in Norcal, but the SoCal area on former At&t Wireless truly sucked for many years. I used Siemens S46 GSM/TDMA, and in SoCal, Pacbell wireless/Cingular wad much better. I ended up often on emergency SOS on Cingular back then, even after 850 MHz GSM. These are/were 2 distinct markets. At&t has built out really since, more than Tmobile, where much of TMobile's expansion was primarily 700/600 MHz in rural California IMHO.
    I know many on TMobile... Of course, most are suburban, every profession from lawyer to photographer to teacher.

AT&T 's GSM really sucked when they were transitioning from TDMA/AMPS to GSM. It was a big screw-up. I remember that whole thing and apparently what happened is that AT&T was all set to move to CDMA but NTT Docomo invested a load of money on the condition that AT&T move to GSM/W-CDMA. The disastrous transition to GSM, with loss of coverage, is what weakened AT&T Wireless to the point that Cingular could buy them out.

I still love Stephen Colbert's video on AT&T/Cingular/SBC, etc: https://www.phonenews.com/images/200...t-cingular.mp4

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes.. Even prior to DoCoMo, AMPS 850.... TDMA 850/1900 and ...GSM 1900. At&t was primarily 850MHz.. At least in SoCal, and all the GSM gear was 900/1800 (Europe) or 1900 PCS. In many parts of the San Fernando Valley, handoff would fail. My initial phone was the Motorola P7382i, which had AWESOME call quality, but sucked in most other ways. I eventually moved to the dual mode Siemens S46, which supported TDMA 850/1900 and GSM 1900 which was decent enough. In many areas, I still had my phone attempting to roam on Pacbell wireless/Cingular (Tmobile) in the suburbs as it was an established GSM 1900 only network. Somil2, I do recall roaming on Cinglar in Santa Fe, NM, where AT&Ts coverage ended at the city limits. Those on true GAIT phones had the advantage of analog until it was phased out. AT&T did the one ugly bit of using AMR half rate codec which garbled up many calls.. I was fortunate to have a V600 which allowed me to force AMR Full rate codec.
    I was around for their GSM to 3G transition, which wasn't great (Tmobile was far behind on this due to limited spectrum).
    In general, if service where I am was really poor, or I was forced to a more expensive plan... I would switch to another carrier. That being said, I will push carriers to keep their "word" on service and coverage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3