Thread: Getting a 5g phone to default to TMO Network?

Feedback Score

Getting a 5g phone to default to TMO Network?

I've seen that if you purchase a newer 5g phone on Sprint you will automatically default to using TMO towers? Does this apply to unlocked 5g phones?

Feedback Score
    Di you run all updates on your phone ? prl, profile ?

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What unlocked phone is it? I have a Motorola Edge 5G and I have been trying to get Sprint to enable 5G on my phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trickbiker121 View Post
    What unlocked phone is it? I have a Motorola Edge 5G and I have been trying to get Sprint to enable 5G on my phone.
    I was just asking. You don't have 5g on your phone? And you have 5g coverage? I was thinking of getting the edge but maybe not now.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user3657 View Post
    I was just asking. You don't have 5g on your phone? And you have 5g coverage? I was thinking of getting the edge but maybe not now.
    I did find a workaround to roam on T-Mobile with Moto edge by entering ##DATA# and disabling Sprint bands. Now I am roaming on T-Mobile 4G LTE and speeds are way better than Sprint. One downside is Sprint currently disables VoLTE when roaming(Hopefully they change this soon). I was able to get Sprint to open an internal ticket to look into this phone and enable 5G service so waiting to hear back from them.

Feedback Score
    Let me know how it goes with the 5g. Yea I know that trick but when roaming it falls to 3g and around here it's garbage you can't even hear anyone. I hope they enable roaming and volte Soon.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well just heard back from Sprint support regarding 5G access on my Motorola Edge. They do not plan to allow this phone to roam on T-Mobile 5G. Although they did mention they have plan to provide T-mobile sim to sprint customers in the future but not sure when that will be.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the update. It's funny because I just found Sprint's BYOD list and it shows the 5g edge but Sprint notes that 5g won't work on it and I was wondering if that was a mistake. I guess it's not.

Yes I do the same with my Moto and voice goes to 1x. I can't even have a conversation! I was kinda hoping to get this phone and put on TMO network so I wouldn't have this issue.

Why is Sprint still taking on new customers with all this.i signed up in July and if I knew all this I would of never ported in

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trickbiker121 View Post
    Well just heard back from Sprint support regarding 5G access on my Motorola Edge. They do not plan to allow this phone to roam on T-Mobile 5G. Although they did mention they have plan to provide T-mobile sim to sprint customers in the future but not sure when that will be.
    Once T-Mobile finishes integrating the Sprint spectrum they want, they will push Sprint customers off and shut down that network. This will take some time, and I would expect it to be rolled out by region.

As far as 5G, Sprint was not doing very well with that anyway. T-Mobile is not going to fix it or even VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Once T-Mobile finishes integrating the Sprint spectrum they want, they will push Sprint customers off and shut down that network. This will take some time, and I would expect it to be rolled out by region.

As far as 5G, Sprint was not doing very well with that anyway. T-Mobile is not going to fix it or even VoLTE.
    T-Mobile has already finished integrating Sprint's 5G and only the Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G is capable of using T-Mo 5G from what I've been reading.

However, T-Mo/Sprint has been fixing some VoLTE issues with the ROAMAHOME SOC, which will allow Sprint customers to use T-Mobile's network. Many phones actually got VoLTE after the SOC was added and the phone did a Profile Update.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    T-Mobile has already finished integrating Sprint's 5G and only the Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G is capable of using T-Mo 5G from what I've been reading.

However, T-Mo/Sprint has been fixing some VoLTE issues with the ROAMAHOME SOC, which will allow Sprint customers to use T-Mobile's network. Many phones actually got VoLTE after the SOC was added and the phone did a Profile Update.
    Is this why if I force roam on my phone voice calls drop to 1x which is completely not useable? If they would fix that I would be super happy because I can just disable all the Sprint bands. I feel as tho they might actually do this on purpose... Trying to force people to join TMO.

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user3657 View Post
    Is this why if I force roam on my phone voice calls drop to 1x which is completely not useable? If they would fix that I would be super happy because I can just disable all the Sprint bands. I feel as tho they might actually do this on purpose... Trying to force people to join TMO.
    From what I've been reading, the 5G phones should be able to use VoLTE (if Sprint has it active in your market, it never rolled out nationally and Seattle never got it.) but you have to manually enable it in the phone settings.

Otherwise, all voice calls will, and have always defaulted to 1xRTT on Sprint's network. Mainly due to the lack of VoLTE.
    Data should be completely unusable during a voice call, but I've seen some phones (mine included) able to pull it off, albeit very slowly.

As T-Mobile integrates the networks, this issue will eventually be resolved. But depending on where you are and other factors, it could take a couple of years.
    5G phones are also first in line for ROAMAHOME (if its compatible with T-Mobile 5G) which should also put you onto T-Mobile's LTE / VoLTE network.
    However, only the Galaxy S20+ from Sprint is compatible with T-Mobile 5G