Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Dead Zones

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2020)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score

AT&T Dead Zones

I currently have both AT&T and Verizon on the highest business plans. Verizon has gotten congested to the point of being unusable in a lot of areas, and not just during rush hour (and again I'm on the highest unlimited plan and never reach my limit). I traveled to 16 states (south and midwest) in June and only lost service twice on AT&T, once for about a mile in the NC mountains and the other for about 10 miles on I-20 between Atlanta and Birmingham (Verizon also lost service for most of this stretch). Verizon lost service for long stretches around St Louis, gave me less than 1mb speed throughout my entire stay in downtown Memphis, and was unusable during rush hour in Dallas and Chicago (couldn't even load GPS). I'm considering dropping Verizon to save money, but I'm worried about the potential coverage loss. My question is where are the big coverage gaps for AT&T (vs Verizon)? Is the difference small enough to drop Verizon? I know what the coverage maps say, but we all know that's not reality. I live in North Carolina and travel frequently all over the country. I've been with Verizon since 2005 and moved one of my lines to AT&T in 2018.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You seem to travel a lot, if theyíre working fine for your needs why not just switch?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL‎ ----------------------------------------------------‎ ‎Duluth, MN
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL) ---------------- 4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In my travels, I have had the worst AT&T experiences in Colorado and Wyoming. Nebraska's been talked about at length on here before with some significant holes but improvements are being made, with the worst areas mostly just outside Lincoln. In general, I do believe Verizon does the best job in the Rocky Mountains if you go that far west.

I have had NO issues with AT&T the times I've been in the Carolinas, Tennessee, Florida in recent years. Service in Chicago has been great - some weak spots in some buildings but always good on the street. Downtown/Loop area has been very fast especially in the last couple years with upgrades and small cells.

There have been a few rural problem spots on AT&T in Southern Illinois in recent years but they are doing a good job filling them in.

I am in the St. Louis area myself and AT&T runs circles around Verizon in this state. I have specifically paid attention to coverage on Interstates going from St. Louis to Chicago, Nashville, and Omaha and in all cases the times without a usable signal are very rare. (Going to Chicago, the worst is about a 4 mile stretch just northeast of Springfield, IL; to Nashville it's worst in Kentucky around the lakes east of Paducah; to Omaha the worst is about a eight mile stretch of I-29 in extreme northwest Missouri just south of the Iowa state line.) But that goes to show how rare it is to have an unusable signal if I can identify the specific spots along the route where service isn't great.

To me, it seems like a no-brainer to make the switch. Unless you find yourself in the Rockies off the major Interstate routes often.
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    In my travels, I have had the worst AT&T experiences in Colorado and Wyoming. Nebraska's been talked about at length on here before with some significant holes but improvements are being made, with the worst areas mostly just outside Lincoln. In general, I do believe Verizon does the best job in the Rocky Mountains if you go that far west.

I have had NO issues with AT&T the times I've been in the Carolinas, Tennessee, Florida in recent years. Service in Chicago has been great - some weak spots in some buildings but always good on the street. Downtown/Loop area has been very fast especially in the last couple years with upgrades and small cells.

There have been a few rural problem spots on AT&T in Southern Illinois in recent years but they are doing a good job filling them in.

I am in the St. Louis area myself and AT&T runs circles around Verizon in this state. I have specifically paid attention to coverage on Interstates going from St. Louis to Chicago, Nashville, and Omaha and in all cases the times without a usable signal are very rare. (Going to Chicago, the worst is about a 4 mile stretch just northeast of Springfield, IL; to Nashville it's worst in Kentucky around the lakes east of Paducah; to Omaha the worst is about a eight mile stretch of I-29 in extreme northwest Missouri just south of the Iowa state line.) But that goes to show how rare it is to have an unusable signal if I can identify the specific spots along the route where service isn't great.

To me, it seems like a no-brainer to make the switch. Unless you find yourself in the Rockies off the major Interstate routes often.
    Good thing about the firstnet build out in the west is that Viaero and Commnet are doing the build out for att.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Good thing about the firstnet build out in the west is that Viaero and Commnet are doing the build out for att.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Does that mean weíll get decent service in/around the Grand Canyon?

In 2017 roaming on Commnet was awful. Nothing would open, load or upload.

ATT kept sending me messages threatening my service if I continued to roam on day one of a four day trip.

ďThe Internet wasnít meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so itís insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead ó itís a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.Ē John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    OP nobody can possibly answer your question as stated. As they're not following you around.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT $60 360 days
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    You seem to travel a lot, if theyíre working fine for your needs why not just switch?

Because I remember how bad AT&T used to suck. I didnít travel at all last year, but when I traveled in 2018 AT&T was horrible in a lot of places. It was very spotty in Eastern NC, DC and Detroit. There was huge hole along I-95 near Florence, SC (I know thatís been filled) and there was no service on the METRO in DC. I know AT&Tís service has improved dramatically since then with Firstnet, and Iím just trying to get a gauge for where there are still issues. Then I can decide whether or not I can live with them. From the coverage map, it looks like most of the gaps are around I-80 in the Northwestern/North Central states.

Iím going to be driving from Charlotte to Nevada and Southern California in September. Should I expect to encounter any issues? What about Eastern NC? Trying to get out there before the summer is over.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post

I can definitely agree with Missouri/Southwest Illinois. My first time driving to St Louis I ran into a huge dead zone with Verizon. I had to buy a data plan through Onstar (AT&T) just to get directions. That trip was actually what prompted me to move a line over to AT&T.

I donít see myself spending much time in the Rockies unless itís driving through.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac704 View Post
    Because I remember how bad AT&T used to suck. I didnít travel at all last year, but when I traveled in 2018 AT&T was horrible in a lot of places. It was very spotty in Eastern NC, DC and Detroit. There was huge hole along I-95 near Florence, SC (I know thatís been filled) and there was no service on the METRO in DC. I know AT&Tís service has improved dramatically since then with Firstnet, and Iím just trying to get a gauge for where there are still issues. Then I can decide whether or not I can live with them. From the coverage map, it looks like most of the gaps are around I-80 in the Northwestern/North Central states.

Iím going to be driving from Charlotte to Nevada and Southern California in September. Should I expect to encounter any issues? What about Eastern NC? Trying to get out there before the summer is over.
    Interestingly enough Iíve never heard anything bad about AT&T in DC, at least not in the last year or so. Detroit is not their best market, but itís certainly passable from what Iíve heard. Donít know anything about Eastern NC. I spend all of my time between MN-WI-IL-IN-MI at least in the last 2 years, and AT&T has been fine if not great except in NWI. If you feel your peace of mind is worth whatever youíre paying Verizon monthly then keep them. You can check cellmapper and check the dates of sites mapped to see exactly whatís going on in your area.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Interestingly enough I’ve never heard anything bad about AT&T in DC, at least not in the last year or so. Detroit is not their best market, but it’s certainly passable from what I’ve heard. Don’t know anything about Eastern NC. I spend all of my time between MN-WI-IL-IN-MI at least in the last 2 years, and AT&T has been fine if not great except in NWI. If you feel your peace of mind is worth whatever you’re paying Verizon monthly then keep them. You can check cellmapper and check the dates of sites mapped to see exactly what’s going on in your area.

I went ahead and dropped Verizon. I'll save $105 a month, and if coverage becomes an issue I can always add the service back.

How's AT&T looking in northern Michigan? Haven't been up there since all this Coronavirus started.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Maybe, Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I went ahead and dropped Verizon. I'll save $105 a month, and if coverage becomes an issue I can always add the service back.

How's AT&T looking in northern Michigan? Haven't been up there since all this Coronavirus started.
    If Verizon has native LTE in spots where AT&T sucks- look at visible. $40 a month- can get it down to $25 a month with party pay. unlimited talk / text / data. Data priority is prepaid - lowest.

I have AT&T Prepaid for Speed and Visible for coverage in my area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro & 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T dominates in northern MI. I live up here and have used both. Verizonís coverage is lacking up here, especially in NE Lower MI. They havenít done much since the Alltel buyout, besides add LTE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I’m in Eastern NC and have been pleasantly surprised by AT&T. Haven’t lost service once. Straight LTE where there was no service or HSPA+ only in 2018. Talked to some locals and they said AT&T is the best in the area now, and Verizon is “terrible” (their words).

Device(s)
    iPhones 7 and a iPhone 6s and 4 and a fire hd8
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is good here in east central Indiana. AT&T struggles out in the country or in concrete buildings. But overall it is good here.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    From my experience, youíll want Verizon in the states along the Pacific Coast. AT&T works well, but Verizon definitely has more coverage and is faster. One particular state that AT&T is way ahead of Verizon in is Utah.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast