Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Smartflip. Any good? VoLTE able?

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

AT&T Smartflip. Any good? VoLTE able?

I'm wondering if anyone here has the AT&T Smartflip and do they like it? I would just want it for occasional calls, texts, very occasional MMS.

Is it likely to survive into the VoLTE era of AT&T service? If VoLTE isn't required on AT&T phones til 2022, if it does work until the sunset date I'm ok with that. Bound to be a VoLTE replacement flip by then. Don't want anything expensive as it would be a pocket callbox.

My last AT&T flip was a 3g ZTE z222 and liked it better than modern big smart flips. I last used it on H20.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone here has the AT&T Smartflip and do they like it? I would just want it for occasional calls, texts, very occasional MMS.

Is it likely to survive into the VoLTE era of AT&T service?
    The AT&T website says it is "HD Voice capable" so it has VoLTE.

https://www.att.com/buy/phones/alcat...ano-black.html

My AT&T Alcatel Tetra has VoLTE too.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    The AT&T website says it is "HD Voice capable" so it has VoLTE.

https://www.att.com/buy/phones/alcat...ano-black.html

My AT&T Alcatel Tetra has VoLTE too.

Thanks. I didn't know HD was same as VoLTE. Or necessarily related. I thought HD was like high def voice enhancement. VoLTE= voice over LTE or data.

I was looking at the flip on sites like Target or Walmart. Not all details given. Figured AT&T store would be higher.

My Phoenix 2 ought to do VoLTE but the flip format is useful for some things.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I didn't know HD was same as VoLTE. Or necessarily related. I thought HD was like high def voice enhancement. VoLTE= voice over LTE or data.

I was looking at the flip on sites like Target or Walmart. Not all details given. Figured AT&T store would be higher.

My Phoenix 2 ought to do VoLTE but the flip format is useful for some things.

You're welcome. I don't understand all the engineering terms, but 'VoLTE is Adaptive Multi-Rate Wideband (AMR-WB), also known as HD Voice.'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_LTE

I have just the lowly $29.99 AT&T Alcatel Tetra and it has VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, they're not mutually-exclusive, but AT&T and Cricket basically treat them as one in the same for a lot of marketing/support documentation, so if the device supports HD Voice for AT&T/Cricket, it's VoLTE.

(An outlier that sort of breaks this is that the iPhone 5 technically supports the codecs, but doesn't support VoLTE.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    You're welcome. I don't understand all the engineering terms, but 'VoLTE is Adaptive Multi-Rate Wideband (AMR-WB), also known as HD Voice.'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_LTE

I have just the lowly $29.99 AT&T Alcatel Tetra and it has VoLTE.

Thank you for the education. I should've had the smarts to look it up. Now I'll know when HD is mentioned it's code for VoLTE.

I guess if the lower priced Tetra has it, the other lower priced phones AT&T sells should. There are a few still available around $35 to $40 in the box stores, on the websites, like the Phoenix 4 at Target (the 5 sold out at Walmart for $50). The 5.5" Axia is pretty cheap now but the size and low res screen puts me off. 5 to 5.7" are pretty much my limits but if taller I prefer the narrow width.

I use WiFi for data trawling so for calls a flip is all I need, more convenient.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Yeah, they're not mutually-exclusive, but AT&T and Cricket basically treat them as one in the same for a lot of marketing/support documentation, so if the device supports HD Voice for AT&T/Cricket, it's VoLTE.

(An outlier that sort of breaks this is that the iPhone 5 technically supports the codecs, but doesn't support VoLTE.)
    It's too bad Cricket phones can't be used on AT&T mvno's like H20 without unlocking. I saw the Smartflip for $10 less Cricket branded. I don't think Cricket phones can even be used on AT&T without unlock. Or otherwise there'd be a few more choices.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    It's too bad Cricket phones can't be used on AT&T mvno's like H20 without unlocking. I saw the Smartflip for $10 less Cricket branded. I don't think Cricket phones can even be used on AT&T without unlock. Or otherwise there'd be a few more choices.
    Yep, AT&T phones can be used on Cricket without unlocking, but not the other way around. It seems a lot of retailers have been unloading the Cricket version of that phone for $10 (which is a really good deal even if you're in the market for a Cricket SIM card - activate it on that phone, move the SIM to what you really want to use, request an unlock 6 months later and hope for the best?)

From what I've seen, the Smartflip/Cingular Flip/Go Flip/etc. are nearly impossible to get unlocked without it being done through the carriers or sketchy eBay "remote unlock" services.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I was reactivating older 8gb phones today with free texting apps (TextNow, TextFree, TextMe) and found out my old 4.5" Alcatel Ideal 4060a had VoLTE on the menu. Was surprised. It runs 5.1.1 Lollipop Android OS.

Though it probably can't take much of a beating at its age, it certainly could do service as a WiFi calling device, and might see light duty as a standby dialer on H20 or Red Pocket.

I also reinstalled Google Voice on the phone and so far ok.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    The Alcatel Smartflip went down to 39.99 at Walmart and then saw not available for delivery online ordered from the website, store purchase only.

I think its 49.99 at Target online.

Walmart online has the Smartflip on another listing for about $67. Not going there.

The prices change occasionally and out of stock items occasionally restock suddenly, so I'll keep looking. I don't want a used one so won't do eBay.

Until I can get a flip I'll use my Phoenix 2 or Alcatel Ideal.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone here know if the AT&T Smartflip has phone number blocking for spam calls?

Thanks.

I'm on the verge of buying one but just wanted to know. (I'm hoping for a price drop).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I just downloaded the user manual pdf and it said contacts can be blocked from the contact list.

I don't know if that means the number must be added to the contact list before being blocked, or if any number can be blocked from the call list (press send key to see the list of recent calls).

I wouldn't want to have to manually add spam numbers to my contacts before I can block them.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Well, I ordered the AT&T Smartflip at BestBuy for 39.99 and it included free shipping so it should be a fairly good deal. It recently dropped to 34.99 but jumped up. It seemed sold out elsewhere if anywhere near that price, so figured I'd better get it before it was gone.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-pr...?skuId=6368542

It was the same price for activate now on AT&T, or activate later. I ordered it activate later even though I intend to activate on arrival.

It looks similar to the Alcatel MyFlip I use on TracFone but compared visually, the case isn't quite the same, and the Smartflip keypad lacks the dedicated text key and the back arrow key. Its navigation ring is rounder than the MyFlip's which may make a difference in how easy it is to use. I find the MyFlip's nav ring is a bit hard to press, but it's not programmable either. That is, can't choose to open favorite apps or settings by pressing up, down, left or right. My z233vl flip has a programmable nav ring, can open settings, calendar, calculator by pressing it. I think I read in the Smartflip's manual that its nav ring can be programmed.

Both MyFlip and Smartflip have WiFi capability. The MyFlip has the ability to log in to email and I assume the Smartflip has also.

I'll see what it does when it comes.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, G Stylus, G Power, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E6, E5+, E5, E4
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, TextNow and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    It has Google assistant and voice texting if you like that sort of thing.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    It has Google assistant and voice texting if you like that sort of thing.
    I don't use Google Assistant (not yet despite the fact it pops up on some phones when I don't intend to activate it). I did talk to the phone once just to see if it'd work on a search (it did) and have heard phones talk without being prompted when they overhear a conversation. That was weird.

I tried voice to text on an older phone and it would enter words I didn't say, so haven't tried it again but have been wanting to. I do a lot of writing so it could be useful. The newer phones hopefully have learned how to speak better by now. On a flip it'd sure be easier than physical texting via keypad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast