Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Galaxy SIII

Feedback Score

Galaxy SIII

I cannot find any network which will activate a Verizon based Galaxy SIII. Does anyone have any help on this? I just need data only.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, that phone is no longer compatible for activation. Only current active devices can continue to use the network until it is finally shut down completely. That device lacks LTE/VOLTE and all cellular providers (to my knowledge) stopped activating phones lacking that technology as early as 2018. Subsequently, all prepaid/MVNO's have also stopped activations for the same reason. Time to update your phone and retire the SIII.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    is the phone unlocked ?? looks like the phone could be too old to be activated - https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3804 Verizon requires the phone to have VoLTE

Feedback Score
    If you can find a newer phone for the activation process (maybe from a friend), then you could move the SIM over to the Galaxy.

Since you only need data, IDK what will happen after the Verizon shuts down the 3g. Talk and text definitely won't work, but I've been curious myself about how data will work on the older devices.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Unfortunately, that phone is no longer compatible for activation. Only current active devices can continue to use the network until it is finally shut down completely. That device lacks LTE/VOLTE and all cellular providers (to my knowledge) stopped activating phones lacking that technology as early as 2018. Subsequently, all prepaid/MVNO's have also stopped activations for the same reason. Time to update your phone and retire the SIII.
    Only Verizon and sprint. Att and TMobile you can still use a 3G phone on att and TMobile you can even still use a 2G GSM only phone. For now anyway.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's my understanding att will be shuttering 3g in early 2022, so for the next 18 month or so you can use it as a 3g device on an att or mvno. Won't be fast but you will get data. The phone should already be unlocked so no concerns there. After that, use it as a wifi device only.

Feedback Score
    Nobody is a activating a non LTE phone anymore. 3G is going away now for T-mobile. End of this year for Verizon and February 2022 for AT&T.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Update Sprint said it won't activate it when checking the IMEI. ATT said it won't activate it. Tmobile said it would after checking the IMEI but claimed I could only get 2G data on it, probably with the $15 per month plan.

Feedback Score

Galaxy SIII

Quote Originally Posted by m90291 View Post
    Update Sprint said it won't activate it when checking the IMEI. ATT said it won't activate it. Tmobile said it would after checking the IMEI but claimed I could only get 2G data on it, probably with the $15 per month plan.
    Even if you activate it now on T-Mobile, you will be forced to change to a newer VoLTE-capable device by January 2021 if you want to keep using T-Mobile, based on leaked internal documents as reported below (unless they grandfather you in for a limited time):
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/0...d-off-january/

Edit: August 4, 2020 is the date when T-Mobile will stop activating non-VoLTE capable devices. Existing customers with these devices have until January 2021 to change to VoLTE capable models.

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I have one of those CDMA S3's. It is still quite useful. It makes a good remote control for my ROKU stick. Even more features than the stock remote. Install Google Voice, GrooveIP, or Textnow and make calls over Wifi. Pull into McD's, call over WIFi. Useful as a remote control for your drone. Play Solitare, Hearts, etc. So I'm not throwing away my SIII.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, previously Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I have an old S3 I use as a MP3 player. No music, I just listen to podcasts. My "real" phone (don't laugh, ok, u can laugh) is a Galaxy S5! Works just fine, thank you, on Boom Mobile red.

Feedback Score
    Huge security hole with no updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by glasspilot View Post
    I have an old S3 I use as a MP3 player. No music, I just listen to podcasts. My "real" phone (don't laugh, ok, u can laugh) is a Galaxy S5! Works just fine, thank you, on Boom Mobile red.
    Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    Huge security hole with no updates.

Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app
    Honest question- what could happen with these risks? If you only use it for minor tasks and don't take it everywhere?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    Honest question- what could happen with these risks?
    While I cannot answer that question, the real question is why you would be willing to take such a risk knowing there is a known/potential security problem ??

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, previously Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    While I cannot answer that question, the real question is why you would be willing to take such a risk knowing there is a known/potential security problem ??
    Well, there is no risk with my S3 because it's not connected to anything (no SIM), it's now just a MP3 player. My S5 is a fully connected phone but I do no bank/financial stuff on it. I do have some security on it (Lookout). Talk/Text/Data it works for me. I tend to use things until they die. I drive cars until the wheels fall off!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast