Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 60

Thread: Verizon says to expect a lot of noise about 5G in the 2nd half of 2020

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,498
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Don't worry after they launch DSS and lowband 5G they can claim nationwide 5G too like teh other 2.
    What low-band for 5G? They are having overload on 4G low-band now.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    543
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    What low-band for 5G? They are having overload on 4G low-band now.
    I don’t care much about low band 5g at this point. More so midband (which probably be reflected in next year phones) and high band. But will DSS help low band? And what’s the likely hood we will see DSS supported on devices coming out through the end of the year?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,009
    Feedback Score
    0
    Personally I’m more excited about 5G ushering in LAA and/or CBRS and/or a ton of small cells and the utilization of Dynamic Spectrum Sharing so LTE customers can benefit from all this as well.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    300
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Personally I’m more excited about 5G ushering in LAA and/or CBRS and/or a ton of small cells and the utilization of Dynamic Spectrum Sharing so LTE customers can benefit from all this as well.
    I hate LTE and I hate small cells even more


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,079
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    I hate LTE and I hate small cells even more


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So why are you on this site?


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    Chicago, IL‎ ----------------------------------------------------‎ ‎Duluth, MN
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL) ---------------- 4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    358
    Feedback Score
    0
    Dialup was my first internet and yes it was slow but it worked, then I got 2G which was a big improvement, then I got 3G which was way more expensive but it worked ok, my area was one of the last places to get 4G and it was also a nice improvement for the same price as 3G. I’m sure 5G will be another nice improvement but expect to be waiting a very long time for it to be available in my area.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,242
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    I hate LTE and I hate small cells even more


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What do you want go back to DSL speeds circa 2003?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    300
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    What do you want go back to DSL speeds circa 2003?
    Nope 5g stand-alone on TOWERS


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,242
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    Nope 5g stand-alone on TOWERS


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mmwave on towers only. Yeah Ok

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,195
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    What low-band for 5G? They are having overload on 4G low-band now.
    Back on Verizon again and it seems a bit different perhaps due to COVID. Is Verizon re-arranging Bands and capacity just to temporarily make things work? Things seemed so much better when we had Band 13 as primary band a few years back instead of band 66. Find they lose some Band 13 capacity?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,242
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Back on Verizon again and it seems a bit different perhaps due to COVID. Is Verizon re-arranging Bands and capacity just to temporarily make things work? Things seemed so much better when we had Band 13 as primary band a few years back instead of band 66. Find they lose some Band 13 capacity?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They aren't doing lowband 5G over band 13. n13 doesn't exist yet. And it won't a thing until at least the end of 2021

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,195
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon says to expect a lot of noise about 5G in the 2nd half of 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    They aren't doing lowband 5G over band 13. n13 doesn't exist yet. And it won't a thing until at least the end of 2021
    Ahh...I see and that will be DSS. The way it jumps around from Band 13 to Band 66 to Band 5 makes me feel like I am on DSS already. I doubted VoLTE and that works great now. Maybe DSS will be the same.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,498
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Is Verizon re-arranging Bands and capacity just to temporarily make things work? Things seemed so much better when we had Band 13 as primary band a few years back instead of band 66.
    I see the same thing in my area. A couple of years ago they started using mostly B66, and the signal strength went down a lot. They then added B5 which does not have a lot of capacity. Seldom see B13 anymore.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,242
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Ahh...I see and that will be DSS. The way it jumps around from Band 13 to Band 66 to Band 5 makes me feel like I am on DSS already. I doubted VoLTE and that works great now. Maybe DSS will be the same.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unless you have a really old phone you're not likely jumping around as your phone should be doing carrier aggregation. Yes band 13 and 5 will switch as those can not be aggregated yet but if you're seeing bands 13, 2, and 66 then you're likely using all3 at the same time

    Verizon will be using band 5( or n5 ) lowband 5G for now. By using DSS instead of permantley using some or all of it for 5G like T-Mobile does with band 71, with DSS it will be use on a as needed basis. So like in my area T-Mobile uses 2/3 of their band 71( 10X10 MHz of 15X15 MHz) for 5G even though at best maybe 5% have 5G phones. So the other 95% have to share the remaining 5X5 MHz. Verizon will avoid this with DSS.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,195
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Unless you have a really old phone you're not likely jumping around as your phone should be doing carrier aggregation. Yes band 13 and 5 will switch as those can not be aggregated yet but if you're seeing bands 13, 2, and 66 then you're likely using all3 at the same time

    Verizon will be using band 5( or n5 ) lowband 5G for now. By using DSS instead of permantley using some or all of it for 5G like T-Mobile does with band 71, with DSS it will be use on a as needed basis. So like in my area T-Mobile uses 2/3 of their band 71( 10X10 MHz of 15X15 MHz) for 5G even though at best maybe 5% have 5G phones. So the other 95% have to share the remaining 5X5 MHz. Verizon will avoid this with DSS.
    Wow it’s a bit difficult to see Carrier Aggregation on an iPhone but will check again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2019, 04:48 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-09-2019, 03:52 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-05-2017, 02:29 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2006, 11:41 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 03:18 PM

Bookmarks