Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Verizon says to expect a lot of noise about 5G in the 2nd half of 2020

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Wow it’s a bit difficult to see Carrier Aggregation on an iPhone but will check again.
    Unless you are on band 13 only tower you are almost certainly using CA

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Unless you are on band 13 only tower you are almost certainly using CA
    And I can't imagine there are too many of those anymore!

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Ill be more interested to see when they flip the switch on the mid/low band with DSS. Id assume they want to have that rolled out before the new iPhones launch in Sept/Oct.

Feedback Score
    5G and fiber will just be a pipe dream for most Americans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Nah, 5G will cover the majority of the population like LTE does now. Just not next week or month. Think of a few years.

Gbps 5G outside of metro areas is not worth pining for. It's unlikely to happen anytime soon, if ever. All of 5G was never intended to be Gbps. The design goal is 100 Mbps for mobile devices.

I'm fairly rural and have fiber. Don't know how much more they have or plan to roll. IIRC, Verizon quit a few years ago.

Feedback Score
    Yep, add Starlink to that list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Yep, add Starlink to that list.
    Why is that? Because it may never be fully operational?

If it does go fully operational, it will cover the entire country except Alaska. The satellites will fly over all areas without regard to to NIMBYs stopping towers for coverage and without regard for the terrestrial profitability of covering sparsely populated areas.

However, it is not mobile phone service. It requires an outside antenna about the size of a pizza box.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Why is that? Because it may never be fully operational?

If it does go fully operational, it will cover the entire country except Alaska. The satellites will fly over all areas without regard to to NIMBYs stopping towers for coverage and without regard for the terrestrial profitability of covering sparsely populated areas.

However, it is not mobile phone service. It requires an outside antenna about the size of a pizza box.
    Because it won't have enough bandwidth to use in populated areas. Each user will be able to see three satellites from any location, once all sats are up and assuming clear skies. If a user is sharing their satellite with a populated area, it'll be short of bandwidth.

This is not my opinion, it is Elon Musk's words.

Here is the article https://arstechnica.com/information-...eat-to-telcos/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    Because it won't have enough bandwidth to use in populated areas. Each user will be able to see three satellites from any location, once all sats are up and assuming clear skies. If a user is sharing their satellite with a populated area, it'll be short of bandwidth.

Ok, interesting. It can still be a part of increasing broadband availability, especially to places where they will never roll cable or build enough terrestrial wireless. People in high population density areas probably wouldn't be much interested anyway. They have other options.

That then falls back to how will they be able to sell enough of it to be profitable. Anything with space operations isn't cheap. I expect Musk has a good plan. Has he done anything that failed?

I assume they are hoping to sell the service all around the world.

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My electric coop here on Maryland's eastern shore says they are going to cover all 76.000 customers with giga fiber. But I have noticed at least in Cecil County all their fiber is hung about 16 inches right above Comcast and only where Comcast is. If Comcast is not there their not either. Same Old Same Old. I don't see me having nothing but 4g.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    At&t is testing LEO satellites in its existing bands. I'm sure VZW won't sit still.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

You assume that people in a populated area( who obviously would have wired options ) would choose to go with Starlink.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Things seemed so much better when we had Band 13 as primary band a few years back instead of band 66. Find they lose some Band 13 capacity?
    That's just congestion... between about Cedar Rapids and Dubuque along highway 151, it was band 13 only until about 6 months ago. I'd get 12-20mbps (with some higher speeds now and then if I was closer to the site) a few years ago; within the last year it was more like 1-3mbps with it occasionally hitting 10mbps.

Band 4/66 (66 is an extended band 4..) does show a lower signal than 13. But (before they added more band 4 around here...) I had an area I could reliably switch between band 4 and 13 and ran some speedtests... I'd see speeds drop off as I got down toward -120dbm band 4 ("0 bars"), then switch to 3-4 bar band 13 (like -80dbm or so) but get the same speed as it did on weak band 4. So I think it's really running band 4+13 most of the time, and just moving more and more traffic over 13 as 4 gets weaker, by the time it switches to band 13 it's running virtually all traffic over 13 already anyway. To be honest, when running CA the phone should probably show the signal of the strongest band it's on, not just whichever is the "1st" carrier.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    To be honest, when running CA the phone should probably show the signal of the strongest band it's on, not just whichever is the "1st" carrier.
    Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You assume that people in a populated area( who obviously would have wired options ) would choose to go with Starlink.
    I didn't assume anything. I quoted the poster who said it would be a pipe dream for "most Americans". Starlink will not be available to "most Americans" since "most Americans" live in populated areas. Then, I quoted Elon Musk who said Starlink would not work well in populated areas.

If Starlink were available with low latency and high speeds and for $50 month like Musk originally predicted, a lot of people in populated areas would indeed choose to go with them.

You said a while back you were putting me on "ignore". Please follow through with that. Your constant looking for something wrong with everyone's post is getting tiresome. Either that, or get a life.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast