Thread: Airave Replacement that can do T-Mobile bands?

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Airave Replacement that can do T-Mobile bands?

Hello —

Does anyone know if Sprint is offering an Airave that can handle T-Mobile bands, or if I can get my Samsung Galaxy S20 5G to prefer legacy Sprint until they do?

I’ve always relied on an Airave at home — I get 0-1 bar of Sprint outside, and a very unusable 1 bar of T-Mobile Band 12/Band 71 inside.

Now that I’ve been updated to the S20 5G, the phone loves to prefer that B71 5G signal above all else — which is useless for calls because it cuts in and out. It will sometimes drop to the Band 41 or 26 from the Airave — but it’s super hit and miss, preferring a VoLTE call over B71.

WiFi calling isn’t an option — the crappy Comcast WiFi keeps dropping the calls — that’s why I’ve kept an Airave all these years.

I read somewhere that T-Mobile and possibly via Sprint are now offering more of a repeater type solution that amplifies all bands? I can’t seem to find it at the moment.

I really don’t want to give up the S20 5G as it was an upgrade from my LG V50 and the upgrade price they gave me is actually cheaper than the old lease on the V50.

Thanks!
    N

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post

WiFi calling isn’t an option — the crappy Comcast WiFi keeps dropping the calls — that’s why I’ve kept an Airave all these years.

I read somewhere that T-Mobile and possibly via Sprint are now offering more of a repeater type solution that amplifies all bands? I can’t seem to find it at the moment.
    The Airave uses an Internet connection, so how would that be different than WiFi calling? Yes, T-Mobile no longer provides a similar device. The Verizon Jetpack works the same.

Repeaters (boosters) are not the same. They directly amplify the outside cellular signal with no WiFi involved. These can be pricey depending on the gain and range.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    All 5G-active devices, when attaching to the network, default to T-Mobile network as it's first priority. Apparently that is done by the system itself (force the ROAMAHOME SOC). Because of the LTE anchor bands needed, it won't attach to 5G without prioritizing the T-Mobile network.

Since you are using a Samsung, you might be able to force disable T-Mobile bands B2, B4/66, B12, and 71 on the device. It could then force use of the Sprint network without access to 5G.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Airave Replacement that can do T-Mobile bands?

See Opinion Needed: Keeping Sprint Airave and line charge now and post-merger
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

The Casa Pebble is the AirRave replacement for Sprint. I have four bars LTE. The Casa Pebble LTE coverage has a ~500’ radius outdoors from my home. WiFi coverage is more like 150’.

My wife and I do not have iPhones that support Band 71. I have an iPhone X and my wife has an iPhone 8 FWIW.

Internet connectivity is a dependency, but even in your case, it may worth a try. Whether it supports T-Mobile, someone else who is familiar would need to respond. Hope so.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    See Opinion Needed: Keeping Sprint Airave and line charge now and post-merger
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

The Casa Pebble is the AirRave replacement for Sprint. I have four bars LTE. The Casa Pebble LTE coverage has a ~500’ radius outdoors from my home. WiFi coverage is more like 150’.

My wife and I do not have iPhones that support Band 71. I have an iPhone X and my wife has an iPhone 8 FWIW.

Internet connectivity is a dependency, but even in your case, it may worth a try. Whether it supports T-Mobile, someone else who is familiar would need to respond. Hope so.
    Sprint is sending me a Casa Pebble for my home. I’m testing out a SWAC account.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Sprint is sending me a Casa Pebble for my home. I’m testing out a SWAC account.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    @TheRealDanny, good luck and all goes well in your testing. Please keep us apprised.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The Airave uses an Internet connection, so how would that be different than WiFi calling? Yes, T-Mobile no longer provides a similar device. The Verizon Jetpack works the same.

Repeaters (boosters) are not the same. They directly amplify the outside cellular signal with no WiFi involved. These can be pricey depending on the gain and range.
    The difference is that the WiFi router cuts in and out repeatedly as I move around the house, while the LTE signal from the Airave is constant. I have a mesh network, and it wreaks havoc on phone calls as you move pod-to-pod. The LTE signal seems just overall stronger and I don’t have such issues — since it’s hard wired into the router, it doesn’t rely on WiFi... I’ve tried multiple routers both of my own and provided by Comcast — and I’ve just given up.

In addition, when my phones rely on the Airave the battery life is MUCH improved!

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    All 5G-active devices, when attaching to the network, default to T-Mobile network as it's first priority. Apparently that is done by the system itself (force the ROAMAHOME SOC). Because of the LTE anchor bands needed, it won't attach to 5G without prioritizing the T-Mobile network.

Since you are using a Samsung, you might be able to force disable T-Mobile bands B2, B4/66, B12, and 71 on the device. It could then force use of the Sprint network without access to 5G.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for this — I did poke around in there and only have the ability to enable or disable bands 25/26/41 — the others have a “priority” but the SIM settings seem to override this and push it to T-Mo as Band 12, 71 etc are far down the list. 5G “NR” can be turned on or off...

That said, under “other” in there I noticed “Korea Mode” — being curious, I clicked on it and inside it has “Korea Mode”, “India Mode” and “Sprint Mode”... so I clicked on “Sprint Mode” — and sure enough, it grabbed Band 41 first from the Airave and seems to be camping on it... I’ll see what happens when I head into town tomorrow.

Hopefully “Sprint Mode” is a shortcut to make it prefer Sprint bands... just a shot in the dark but seems promising so far. I can’t be the only one with this issue lol

I’ll be honest... the Band 41 LTE is actually much faster around here than the T-Mobile “5G” so I’m happy staying there for a while until they get the B41 refarmed later on for the 5G — getting around 20-30 down on the “5G” whereas I was regularly getting 80-120 on Sprints B41 LTE lol

Will look into the Casa Pebble... wondering if I explain the situation if they will just swap my Airave for that...

N

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Will look into the Casa Pebble... wondering if I explain the situation if they will just swap my Airave for that...

N
    One Sprint customer was given what he/she called the “Magic Box” as an Airave replacement.” From the poster’s description, it did not sound like a Casa Pebble. I suggest asking for the Casa Pebble - maybe they are one in the same.

For me, the [Casa Pebble] allows for a more constant and wider LTE signal compared to WiFi, plus your friends, family and others can benefit via LTE if they are Sprint (and maybe T-Mo) customers.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S20 Ultra 512 gb,pixel 3a , iPhone xr ,iPad 6th gen
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,Verizon,sprint
    Feedback Score
    Hello —

Does anyone know if Sprint is offering an Airave that can handle T-Mobile bands, or if I can get my Samsung Galaxy S20 5G to prefer legacy Sprint until they do?

I’ve always relied on an Airave at home — I get 0-1 bar of Sprint outside, and a very unusable 1 bar of T-Mobile Band 12/Band 71 inside.

Now that I’ve been updated to the S20 5G, the phone loves to prefer that B71 5G signal above all else — which is useless for calls because it cuts in and out. It will sometimes drop to the Band 41 or 26 from the Airave — but it’s super hit and miss, preferring a VoLTE call over B71.

I really don’t want to give up the S20 5G as it was an upgrade from my LG V50 and the upgrade price they gave me is actually cheaper than the old lease on the V50.

Thanks!
    N
    Download a app called Samsung band something it will allow you to change what bands you connect to it's on the play store

Galaxy S20 ultra 512 gb, iPhone XR, pixel 3a, highest Speedtest 320mbps

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    One Sprint customer was given what he/she called the “Magic Box” as an Airave replacement.” From the poster’s description, it did not sound like a Casa Pebble. I suggest asking for the Casa Pebble - maybe they are one in the same.

For me, the [Casa Pebble] allows for a more constant and wider LTE signal compared to WiFi, plus your friends, family and others can benefit via LTE if they are Sprint (and maybe T-Mo) customers.
    A Magic Box is a repeater — and isn’t available in my area. The Band 41 here is not contiguous so they absolutely will not ship them here.

TBH I’m happy for now — the “Sprint Mode” menu seems to have fixed the problem. I’ll revisit this once T-Mo has had a better chance to take over. With “Sprint Mode” enabled it basically makes Sprint first and pops to T-Mo when Sprint isn’t available.

N

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    TBH I’m happy for now — the “Sprint Mode” menu seems to have fixed the problem. I’ll revisit this once T-Mo has had a better chance to take over. With “Sprint Mode” enabled it basically makes Sprint first and pops to T-Mo when Sprint isn’t available.

N
    Just an update... I think this Samsung “Sprint Mode” setting is designed for exactly the purpose I’m looking for. I checked on it while I’m out and about, and when away from the Airave I’m getting all T-Mobile service, including 5G... but at home it camps on the Airave Band 41 as soon as I pull up, whereas previously it would only do this when I was super deep in the house and even then it would bounce between Airave Band 41 and 26 while actively trying for T-Mobile and killing the battery. I do believe “Sprint Mode” makes it camp on the Airave channels when in range of one while it camps on T-Mo otherwise.

Biggest benefit is I can send pictures and get reliable texts again — these seem to run over the cell signal even with WiFi Calling enabled. Also battery life is back to normal...

So I assume this is buried in there for this purpose when people have this complaint... anyone else tried this, or know for sure? I’ll keep using it since it’s working... but just curious if anyone else has heard of this or is having this same issue? I’ll take it lol

N

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That’s great. Are the various modes, like Sprint mode, an Android feature? I do not remember seeing anything equivalent on iPhones. (It may be because of Apple’s restrictive features such as no being able to view bands in use / available.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, mesh is tough; even if the mesh itself is working fine, the wifi standards make things difficult for something like a phone call. The device usually decides when it's going to hand off (not the access point), and it takes a good 1-1.5 seconds to hand off once it decides to do it (without non-standard extensions, Cisco has some method to get it down to like 0.1second or so.)