Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: whats this 5ge crap

Feedback Score

whats this 5ge crap

my iPhone SE 2020 does not have a 5G Radio. A speedtest revealed the same speeds i get on LTE

Feedback Score
    Are you a new AT&T customer? Where have you been? AT&T has been marketing 5Ge (also know as LTE Advanced to the rest of the world) for like 2 years now.

Correct no real 5G on iPhone until the new 12’s come out.

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geekboy1984 View Post
    my iPhone SE 2020 does not have a 5G Radio. A speedtest revealed the same speeds i get on LTE
    It's 5G Evolution - Evolution to 5G. It is enhanced, faster LTE. Calling it anything 5G is just marketing. AT&T and T-Mobile did the same thing years ago by calling HSPA+ data, that wasn't LTE, 4G. I forget which of them did it first and is deserving of disdain. The standards body agreed after the fact that it was fast enough to be called 4G without being LTE.

AT&T announced a while back that they would stop using the term 5GE, but that doesn't change it showing up on phones. That is already baked in the phones.

There is nothing magic about 5G other than bragging rights. LTE will continue to work fine and eventually we will all get real 5G over a period of years as it is deployed on the network and get new phones that have it. There is nothing particularly compelling about the current crop of a few (expensive) 5G phones. Actual 5G will evolve over several years.

Bragging rights don't interest me and my LTE is working fine.

Feedback Score
    just joined att a few weeks ago

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Please read my thread here on the topic for a little insight:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...th-5GE-in-2019

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    I have a iPhone XS, XS Max,XR and iPhone 11 Pro Max. Why does my top two phones display 5ge and the other two display LTE? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smokieunc View Post
    I have a iPhone XS, XS Max,XR and iPhone 11 Pro Max. Why does my top two phones display 5ge and the other two display LTE? Thanks

Eventually they will all display it. Although it really is not 5G, but LTE like everyone stated above. Maybe those older phone don’t have the latest iOS updates.

Feedback Score
    so it only displays 5Ge in LTE Advanced areas. Personally after doing some speedtests, in my area there is no speed difference when doing a speed test using ookla.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

whats this 5ge crap

so it only displays 5Ge in LTE Advanced areas. Personally after doing some speedtests, in my area there is no speed difference when doing a speed test using ookla.
    There really isn’t. It’s the same bands. Only difference is that the phones software now displays 5Ge to show you’re on LTE Advance.

Very misleading to most people that are not aware of this and think they have real 5G.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Honestly, the title of this thread has made me chuckle a few times. I had a spot where the tower was pumping out 200+Mbps after some upgrades, but AT&T didn't change the indicator to 5Ge for awhile after that. With the indicator change, things were the same.

They could've used "LTE+" or something else to demonstrate that it's an area with improvements, but I can't help but feel that the confusion was intentional. I get that "5GE" areas are technically upgraded to also support 5G service and were often waiting for the switch to be flipped, but the general public doesn't really think that way.

Are they all on AT&T? MVNOs typically will still show LTE. As for displaying it, they all should if on AT&T and a recent version of iOS (I had an 8 Plus and 11 show it).

Feedback Score
    This reminds me of when AT&T was trying to call HSPA+ 4G. Even though it is still 3G. The only carrier in the USA that I can think of that has adhered to the proper G standards is Verizon.

In order for something to truly be a different G than the previous one, it has to require a different radio and be on different bands. You cant just make some software overlay improvements and call it a G. I dont even know what at&t is using for 5G. Like what is the technology called

2G = GPRS/EDGE
    3G = UMTS / HSDPA
    4G = LTE
    so what radio technology is 5G?

Feedback Score

Your fake phones display fake 5G...
    Get a real phone

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Your fake phones display fake 5G...
    Get a real phone

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Every Samsung since the S8, LG since the V30, and Pixel 4 also display 5Ge.

Chicago, IL‎ ----------------------------------------------------‎ ‎Duluth, MN
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL) ---------------- 4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Every Samsung since the S8, LG since the V30, and Pixel 4 also display 5Ge.

They They all are fake phones from American capitalism poisoning ...
    Get some real phones from Huawei, Xiaomi to save souls and kill the virus...

Sent from my Huawei P40 pro using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    This reminds me of when AT&T was trying to call HSPA+ 4G. Even though it is still 3G. The only carrier in the USA that I can think of that has adhered to the proper G standards is Verizon.

In order for something to truly be a different G than the previous one, it has to require a different radio and be on different bands. You cant just make some software overlay improvements and call it a G. I dont even know what at&t is using for 5G. Like what is the technology called
    Yeah, AT&T and T-Mobile are both guilty of doing this for HSPA+. T-Mobile did it mostly because there wasn't an LTE network deployed yet, and AT&T did it because...why not?

I haven't dug into things too much, but I've read a bit and what gets thrown around a lot is 5G NR (New Radio...exciting, right?): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G_NR

It seems the bands are going to be the same and there's ways that you can reuse the same band for both LTE and 5G using DSS. There's been a lot of talk in the T-Mobile spaces about repurposing Sprint LTE Bands and basically for what we usually just call LTE Band 41, I've seen the notation of B41 is LTE, n41 is 5G. They've done the same with 600MHz...B71 and n71.

The other portion that's going to be interesting/useful to know is that right now, a lot of 5G deployments still need LTE as an anchor. AT&T's 850MHz (n5) deployment seems to be one of the first that will be standalone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast