Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Fake T-Mobile 5g icons on $amsung a71 5g

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    This is more of a device dependency than network. 5G SA, unless you are in a bad place, will often be slower, but with better latency than 5g NSA... For now. Best I've hit was about 120Mbps on 5g SA. Best I've hit on LTE was 300Mbps. Best on 5g NSA (no n41) was a bit better than 425Mbps. Best with 5g NSA with n41/n71 was a bit better than 500Mbps.

Averages will typically be much less, especially as iPhone 12s come out.

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    Thank you for posting this, maybe this will help people understand why:
    1. Not fake 5G.
    2. Why the devices behave the way they do now
    3. Why 5G is still very early and won't reap the full benefits now (mainly getting that better latency)
    4. Why early adoption isn't always the best option
    5. That "Past results are not an indicator of future outcomes."
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I posted a thread with some of these bits not long after I purchased the LG Velvet 5g. Much of it still holds true.
    - 5g won't benefit the masses (yet)
    - Many may (will) see slower speeds with 5g than they did on 4g LTE
    - if you're up for a new device, don't have issues with T-Mobile service (this generally won't fix), AND can get a 5g for less than an LTE device... Then it may be worth it (that was why I got mine... $300 Velvet with trade in ... Now OnePlus 8).
    - if you need to have the newest tech... Fine. Just remember it'll be improved and probably cheaper later on.

AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I posted a thread with some of these bits not long after I purchased the LG Velvet 5g. Much of it still holds true.
    - if you're up for a new device, don't have issues with T-Mobile service (this generally won't fix), AND can get a 5g for less than an LTE device... Then it may be worth it (that was why I got mine... $300 Velvet with trade in ... Now OnePlus 8).
    - if you need to have the newest tech... Fine. Just remember it'll be improved and probably cheaper later on.

Yep, and eventually I'll get a 5G device, but maybe not for many years.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score

I mean for me, I go into a lot of buildings that were stuck on a 5MHz chunk of 600/700MHz LTE, so having the n71 carrier available actually made T-Mobile a viable "primary" carrier.

in Chicago, I *always* have voice coverage, just the LTE was shaky indoors for speed, and n71 did fix that, but outside of that.. there's no real voice benefit.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I don't want to get embroiled in controversy but I've noticed that our 5G phones show a "5G" signal icon when they are well out of usable range of the available N71 sites and could only be picking up the slightest whiff of a 5G signal.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    There also was a time when tmobile devices would show a 5G icon when connected to a LTE site that didn't have 5G yet, but, was set up to be the anchor band for a N71 site. Not sure they fixed this or not.

Feedback Score
    I'm occasionally getting 5G indicator on my note 20 Ultra , when viewing network cell information lite it shows connection to band 66 lte.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    I'm occasionally getting 5G indicator on my note 20 Ultra , when viewing network cell information lite it shows connection to band 66 lte.

Cell Info Lite is not updated to show the 5G connection if its tied to an LTE anchor. So you could be getting LTE 66 and 5G n71 at the same time while Cell Info Lite will not show the n71. (It should show 5G when its SA and only on 5G without the LTE anchor though.)

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks for the clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Cell Info Lite is not updated to show the 5G connection if its tied to an LTE anchor. So you could be getting LTE 66 and 5G n71 at the same time while Cell Info Lite will not show the n71. (It should show 5G when its SA and only on 5G without the LTE anchor though.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok thanks for the clarification.

Somewhere on this thread, there's a code you can dial in to get full connection details on your phone app. The OP is also in the same boat, (s)he was getting both LTE and 5G at the same time, with LTE as an Anchor. But he felt it was Samsung playing "games" with him and switched to an iPhone, which is probably doing the same thing, all because he wasn't getting those super fast gigabit speeds, which is only available on the mmWave - which is only in small sections of a handful of cities.

5G is not a promise of super fast speeds at this time.
    Low and mid-band 5G may be similar in speeds to current LTE, if not slower.
    5G only offers lower latency times at this point in time.

mmWave is super limited in range and typically will not penetrate any obstacles, this could be anything from a leaf to a wall between you and said tower.
    mmWave also tends to require line of sight to be able to offer those faster speeds.
    mmWave is only in small sections of larger cities, typically major parks and stadiums, and will not be viable for nationwide coverage.
    mmWave frequencies are between 28 GHz - 39 GHz.

Nationwide 5G is currently operating at low bands like n71's 600 MHz, n5 750 MHz, with segments in mid-band around major cities.
    Mid-band is also similar to LTE in frequency, using n41's 2500 MHz (same frequency as LTE 41).

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Dial *#0011#

See if anything shows next to NR.

Could just be the upper layer indicator on release 15, but your not receiving an NR signal.

Some of the coverage area of that site may have an NR connection from the neighboring site, I see this all the time with At&t. Not sure if you know, but with NSA-NR release 15, you can be connected to 2 different sites. One broadcasting the lte anchor band and a neighboring site that is broadcasting NSA-NR.

Network signal pro certainly shows NSA-NR. I see it with At&t whenever connected. Not sure if the lite version was updated or not.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I see 5g NSA even when 5g is from a neighboring site.Name:  Screenshot_20201126-180926.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  32.6 KBName:  Screenshot_20201126-181140.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  38.5 KB

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I see 5g NSA even when 5g is from a neighboring site.Name:  Screenshot_20201126-180926.jpg

Yup there it is.

On cell mapper where it says SIB2 ULI true and SIB2...r15 true, that's the 5G indicator and release 15 being active.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Here is SA vs NSA Name:  Screenshot_20201127-150620.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  23.6 KBName:  Screenshot_20201127-150530.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  39.9 KB

Feedback Score
    Questions:
    1) this phone supposedly has a depth sensor - is there an app that I can actually use/see the output?
    2) for 5G-SA, do we have CarrierAggregation on 5G? I only have n71, don't have n41 nearby
    3) does VoNR actually work on this device? If I have all-3g/LTE/5G bands selected and start a voice call, either
    a) icon stays on 5G, but it really dropped to LTE-band-2/4 only (with UpperLayer-R15), no actual 5G connection
    b) icon drops to LTE, because it dropped to LTE-band 71/12 which doesn't support UpperLayer-R15
    Settings -> About Phone -> Status -> SIM card status -> Mobile Voice network type / Mobile data network type
    for either a or b, this screen shows LTE/LTE

I forced-disabled all bands except 5G-SA-41/71. With that, I can start a voice call but cannot hear anything. The other side can hear me talking though?
    *#0011# shows I'm connected to NR5G with NR_BAND:n71, no LTE connection
    Settings -> About Phone -> Status -> SIM card status -> Mobile Voice network type / Mobile data network type
    this screen shows NR/NR (voice/data)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast