Thread: Why are eSIM Activation Cards so difficult to get from AT&T stores?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Why are eSIM Activation Cards so difficult to get from AT&T stores?

I run dual SIMs in my iPhone 11, an AT&T eSIM, and a Verizon physical SIM.

Recently some problems with my iPhone led to needing to delete the eSIM and re-install it as part of the diagnostic process. Doing this at the Apple store was a breeze, they went out back, got an Activation Card, and added a new eSIM to my phone and updated the ICCID on my account.

Ultimately, Apple shipped me a replacement phone. Because it's so hard to get into an Apple store right now I went to a local ATT store Saturday and asked for an eSIM activation card. You would have thought I asked them for all their money and keys to their houses! After 20+ minutes of different reps asking me the same line of stupid questions, I finally gave up and left. I tried a different store on Sunday (and they were dead) and had essentially the same experience. I was even willing to pay for the silly thing and/or let the rep do the work while I waited.

Today I finally surrendered and stood in line at the Apple store for over an hour to get another activation card (plus a spare) without the slightest hiccup. They seemed genuinely happy to do it.

Anyone know what the big deal is getting them from corporate stores? I've probably gone in dozens of times over the years for physical SIMs and never once got the response like I did asking for an eSIM activation card. Doing some reading online it seems like this is a common problem.

Feedback Score
    the employees are not educated on eSIM and they are naturally wary of any customer who knows anything technical and threatens their ego

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I called customer support when I signed up for service a couple weeks ago and the rep took care of everything. I received a pop up on my phone that at&t cellular plan was ready to activate and was up and running in minutes. I have a business account so maybe that is why it went smoothly. I tend to avoid carrier stores like the plague. Always online chat or phone support.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geekboy1984 View Post
    the employees are not educated on eSIM and they are naturally wary of any customer who knows anything technical and threatens their ego
    And the funniest thing about this is that you don’t even need the QR cards anymore. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    And the funniest thing about this is that you don’t even need the QR cards anymore.
    How do you activate without the QR card?

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geekboy1984 View Post
    I have definitely noticed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wp3gi View Post
    How do you activate without the QR card?
    AT&T can use EID to activate without a QR code or having a physical SIM card with a QR code printed. Most reps are either resistant to having you take the easy way out or will flat out claim ignorance and thus most will give up and make you drive your fists through a wall after dealing with certain reps. If you are persistent you can get the right person in tech support to do it and it's a breeze. They take your EID number over the phone, enter it, and then presto: your phone activates in seconds.